Canon Software Solution Allows Select EOS Interchangeable Lens Cameras to Function as High-Quality USB Webcam

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I did just try it on Windows 10 with my 80D, works fine. I'm in Germany, so I guess the note about no support outside the US is literally about support, in case you need help.

Video resolution appears to be 1024 X 576 30p according to VLC. Not quite HD but the Quality from an APS-C sensor with the 35mm 1.4 Art is still much nicer than what I'd get elsewise. Blurring the background is another plus.

AF with face tracking works fine, you can even change the exposure while using it in this way.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Hi guys, I am also not able to get my EOS R to show an input, rather it just shows a placard saying, "EOS WEBCAM UTILITY BETA".
NOTE: I am in Norway and maybe this doesn't work outside of USA like it said in documentation..? Are you guys outside of USA?

Thanks!
Turn off EOS Utilities

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Quick question. I remember talk about sensors getting hot when running extended video. Any chance this could overheat the sensor during long video sessions? I would hate to damage my expensive DSLR for this.
This is nothing but using LiveView and sending it over to the PC. I doubt it would hurt the camera, even if it did generate too much heat.

Upvote 0
Turn off EOS Utilities
Hi Fred (and @Daner), yes I was able to come across some tips in Canon's support forum. What solved it for me was: quitting the EOS utility that pops up when you first plug in the camera. Also, it was important to use a supported cable (using USB-C to USB-C provided by Canon) and also I have extra trouble with my HP where USB-C ports choose to stop working when too many peripherals -- so there were several things working against me. However, I got it to work in the end and looks nice.

Upvote 0
I know the tutorial is very easy, but I must be dumb. Someone got this work with 5D Mark IV 1.2.1?
I have installed the software, rebooted the PC, set the camera to videomode, turned on the camera (the mirror goes up and the display shows image as usual in videomode).
I connect with the mico USB cable, the mirror goes down. The cameradisplay shows a PC symbol. In my explorer, I see the 5D Mark IV and I can access the CF and SD card. As long the camera is in this "pc mode", the camera itself is unusable.

And thats it. No webcam. I check device manager -> no webcam, I started Windows 10 camera -> no camera found, I checked Skype -> no webcam found.

I tried the same on a clean virtual OS, but still the same. What I am doing wrong?

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Upvote 0
This utility works with older models, but the AF isn't active. I've tested it on 550D, 7Di, 5Diii. I can understand that Canon would not wish to officially support older models which don't offer all the functionality, but its great that you can use it :) For most web cam use setting up the camera beforehand and leaving it fixed is absolutely fine. Thank you Canon, this is great!
If you're listening Canon, multiple camera support on one computer would be fantastic for live streaming with OBS.

Upvote 0