Canon Software Solution Allows Select EOS Interchangeable Lens Cameras to Function as High-Quality USB Webcam

Oh Linux... I didn’t realize you were still there...you may go now.
On Linux you don't need any software from Canon to use your camera as a webcam. You can use pretty much use any camera from any manufacturer.
It also works with every application I tested, unlike the EOS Webcam Utility Beta, where I had to use a workaround using OBS with the VirtualCam Plugin to make it work in Discord, Skype and Jitsi.

...you may go now.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
How does this work with the 5D4's auto power off and/or recording limit? If you're using an LPE6 power adapter, can this run "full time" via software, or does it require user intervention on the camera every 30 minutes or so?
I ran my 5Diii for over 1.5 hours with power adapter, no stops or breaks in the video signal, all good. It appears to use the live view facility, so I guess that doesn't build up as much heat as running in video record mode. I did have it on a tripod and noticed that the top of the tripod was warm, so it may provide some heat sinking.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Seems odd that Canon have decided to make this a USA exclusive.
"* This Software is for use in the U.S. and will not be supported outside that area. "

It's not a Canon effort, it's a Canon USA effort, so I guess they want the credit and not the maintenance burden use outside of their area.

Upvote 0
I would love to have support for my 5D Mark II, that would be great!
I doubt they'll support 5D Mark II or Mark III because I think they're only supporting cameras with continuous video autofocus like DPAF. Then again, the 70D has DPAF but it's not listed.

You should try it, maybe it works. I tested my EOS Rebel T5 ("not supported") on Windows 10 x64 and it worked really nice, the video is a little choppy even when max FPS selected.

Another thing is that it doesn't work on Windows 7.

Seems odd that Canon have decided to make this a USA exclusive.
"* This Software is for use in the U.S. and will not be supported outside that area. "
I'm not in USA and I have succesfully used it, it's just for download purpouse that is regional restricted. Just try it.

Upvote 0
Correction: Both my 5DIII and 5DII work! YAY :D

After checking EposVoxs Video on it I figured I'd give it another try. The problem is that it is highly Application dependant. (
)

E.g. it didn't work with Jitsi Meet but OBS works just fine.

Do you mind going over how you got your 5D Mark II to work? Mine isn't being detected :(

Upvote 0
Stupid question, I've just installed this but where do i find it?? Can't see it if I click Start button?
It wont show on start menu, it's just a plugin that automatically loads whenever you connect the camera via usb port, and makes the OS think you connected an USB webcam.
If for example you open skype, in the video settings tab where you select which webcam you want to use, it will show "Canon Webcam Utility".

Upvote 0
It wont show on start menu, it's just a plugin that automatically loads whenever you connect the camera via usb port, and makes the OS think you connected an USB webcam.
If for example you open skype, in the video settings tab where you select which webcam you want to use, it will show "Canon Webcam Utility".

Ah, I see. Thanks :)

Upvote 0
Do you mind going over how you got your 5D Mark II to work? Mine isn't being detected :(

After you installed the webcam utility beta (they use all the same installer, so it doesn't matter which camera you download it from), make sure that you are not running Canon EOS Utility, as that will interfere with the EOS Webcam Utility Beta. Then it should work just fine.

BUT for certain applications you need a workaround.

E.g. it works with OBS Studio but not with Discord, Jitsi.

Luckily OBS is all we need, along with a Plugin called OBS-VirtualCam (https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/obs-virtualcam.539/)

Just add the EOS Webcam Utility as a Video Capture Device Source in OBS Studio, size it to fit the screen, go to tools - VirtualCam and (optional: check the option to autostart) hit Start, close the VirtualCam window, minimze OBS and now you can use the OBS-Camera as a source instead of the EOS Webcam Utility in the applications that don't work.

Upvote 0