Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT II Coming Soon [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>We’re told that Canon will be updating their Speedlite 600EX-RT shortly, likely next week alongside the EF-M 28mm f/3.5 IS STM Macro lens.</p>
<p>We have no specifications on the new flash, but as soon as we hear any, we’ll pass them on. I wouldn’t be upset to see a reduction in size.</p>
<p>More to come…</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Chaitanya said:
Canon should also update their ST-E3 RT and just add AF assist which would be very useful for field use. Also I was hoping we would see update to 320ex with RT support(slave mode only) before seeing update to 600ex-RT which has been selling quite well.

I have the YN remote as well as the ST, got it just for the AF assist and second curtain, only problem is the AF assist on the YN is so powerful it vapourises the subject matter into a small pile of dust ;)

Upvote 0
It would be nice to add support for more than just 2 colour gels. This might make it necessary to upgrade the gel-sensors. Or increase head movement, eg. more downward tilt might come in handy alongside a macro lens.

Such small updates might warrant such a short product cycle.

2nd curtain sync probably could be added in firmware, IF precision over radio is good enough.

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
So far the 600's have been pretty amazing. Canon has the best and most reliable radio flash on the market and this is certainly not something to look over. I know there's Chinese knock offs (I have a Yongnuo trigger as well; AF assist is nice but it sucks batteries harder than a hooker on a working night), but the Canon's are in the end the best choice for professionals (mine have endured rain, impact from drops and virtually no failures in triggering, even in long distance and with walls here and there). More expensive, yes, but with a nice cash back or deal it's not so bad :)

Upvote 0
edoorn said:
So far the 600's have been pretty amazing. Canon has the best and most reliable radio flash on the market and this is certainly not something to look over. I know there's Chinese knock offs (I have a Yongnuo trigger as well; AF assist is nice but it sucks batteries harder than a hooker on a working night), but the Canon's are in the end the best choice for professionals (mine have endured rain, impact from drops and virtually no failures in triggering, even in long distance and with walls here and there). More expensive, yes, but with a nice cash back or deal it's not so bad :)

Yep I have two my self and I've had them since they were launched and have been faultless and worked amazingly well. The price I paid was eye watering though...
My only real complaint is that the 580 mkI (which I used before) was a lot smaller and easier to lug about. The 600 seemed to be a lot bigger.
I think the synching of the ST-E3 behaves a little quirky some times. The controls could be a LOT more intuitive.

Upvote 0
arthurbikemad said:
Chaitanya said:
Canon should also update their ST-E3 RT and just add AF assist which would be very useful for field use. Also I was hoping we would see update to 320ex with RT support(slave mode only) before seeing update to 600ex-RT which has been selling quite well.

I have the YN remote as well as the ST, got it just for the AF assist and second curtain, only problem is the AF assist on the YN is so powerful it vapourises the subject matter into a small pile of dust ;)

You say that like it is a bad thing. Best way to deal with PITA clients.

Ooopps.... There goes another one. I don't know what keeps on happening. Odd...

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
ScottyP said:
If my Phottix Mitros+ flashes could do 2nd curtain sync off camera 3 years ago, it would be a serious design flaw somewhere if Canon couldn't do it today.

It IS a serious shortcoming. Canon Speedlite/EOS camera system does not support 2nd curtain sync in wireless mode. Reason is antiquated Canon *wireless ETTL* flash protocol, that has never been updated in 15+ years. ::)

Upvote 0