Canon Still Working on New 800mm Lens [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We’ve been told over the years that Canon is working on a new 800mm lens, which is likely true and such development does in fact take years. The current 800mm f/5.6L IS has been a tough sell since the launch of the EF 600mm f/4L IS II, as the image quality you get from the 600mm lens and a 1.4 III teleconverter is generally considered better and you get an 840mm f/5.6 lens.</p>
<p>We’ve seen patents for a new 800mm lens in both DO and non-DO forms and thought we’d have seen a new one by now to at least match the materials and performance of the 300-600mm lenses that were launched 5 or so years ago.</p>
<p>An unknown source says Canon is developing an 800mm f/5.6L with a 1.4 TC built into it like the EF 200-400 f/4L IS 1.4x., which would give you an 1120mm f/6.3 when the teleconverter is put in place.</p>
<p>We’re not sure how many big white lenses Canon is currently selling, but it feels that there may be some market saturation for the lenses and we’re not sure there ever needs to be an 800mm replacement. It’s going to have to offer something quite unique to get current owners of big white lenses to get on board.</p>
<p>We wonder if some sort of a supertelephoto zoom above 600mm would be doable and cost effective.</p>
<p>An appropriate amount of salt recommended for this one.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
Kim Bentsen said:
That would be 1120mm f/8.

An unknown source says Canon is developing an 800mm f/5.6L with a 1.4 TC built into it like the EF 200-400 f/4L IS 1.4x., which would give you an 1120mm f/6.3 when the teleconverter is put in place.

Agree unless they have some trick up their sleeve. In which case they have defeated optics.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Canon Rumors said:
It’s going to have to offer something quite unique to get current owners of big white lenses to get on board.

I could see an 800/5.6 DO lens, physically shorter than the 600/4 II, being attractive to some...especially if launched before a 600/4 DO.
+1
That is the only reasonable option. the 600 f4L IS II with 1.4xIII delivers IQ which makes an 800 obsolete. But a stellar performing DO lens may be a different story, especially if the 600 DO is f5.6.

Upvote 0
Eldar said:
+1
That is the only reasonable option. the 600 f4L IS II with 1.4xIII delivers IQ which makes an 800 obsolete. But a stellar performing DO lens may be a different story, especially if the 600 DO is f5.6.

It may make the current 800 obsolete, it wouldn't necessarily make a new version obsolete.
A new 800mm that is lighter, slightly better IQ and improved stabilization would make it viable.

You know it would bug to no end the birders that are gear heads. Just having the knowledge that there is a slightly better option available in the 800mm range than their 600mm II with a 1.4x III. This knowledge would cause psychological harm, a tendency to repeatedly put the lens in the basket or on a watch list at B&H. It would cause an unwanted tendency to pull the credit card out and start entering the numbers only to stop half way through. Then in a time of weakness to order the thing.

Upvote 0

mnclayshooter

I love shooting - clay pigeons and photos!
Oct 28, 2013
Minnesota, USA
I have a question that may or may not have a very intelligent answer as it's not a super intelligent question..

Why bother saying that this is an 800mm lens with a built-in 1.4x teleconverter... why not just call it a 1120mm lens? Is there an ability to not use the teleconverter? I have zero experience with the 200-400 so bear with my ignorance.

Edit: never mind - I found the answer... it is selectable. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/973129-REG/canon_5176b002_ef_200_400mm_f_4l_is.html?gclid=CLCa-siKhMoCFQMFaQodDPsHuA

Anyone know how this works? just out of curiosity does it flip down or slide out of the way inside the barrel of the lens? - referring to the 200-400, that is... assuming that it would be somewhat similar on this proposed 800+??? lens.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
takesome1 said:
Eldar said:
+1

It may make the current 800 obsolete, it wouldn't necessarily make a new version obsolete.
A new 800mm that is lighter, slightly better IQ and improved stabilization would make it viable.

You know it would bug to no end the birders that are gear heads. Just having the knowledge that there is a slightly better option available in the 800mm range than their 600mm II with a 1.4x III. This knowledge would cause psychological harm, a tendency to repeatedly put the lens in the basket or on a watch list at B&H. It would cause an unwanted tendency to pull the credit card out and start entering the numbers only to stop half way through. Then in a time of weakness to order the thing.
or......
you could get the following:
http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop/astronomy/optical-tubes/edgehd-14-optical-tube-assembly

You can use it as a 3910mm lens at F10, or you can remove the secondary mirror and it converts to a 780mm lens at F2.... and it only weighs 46 pounds!

Now that should get the fanatics salivating :)

Upvote 0
mnclayshooter said:
Is there an ability to not use the teleconverter?

That would be the idea, and it could be turned off. Personally I am fine with a 800mm a few inches shorter and putting on a extender only when I need it.

But since the 800mm were talking about does not exist yet and it is as mythical as a unicorn, who knows it may have a 2x permanently attached and be a 1600mm lens. Then if you attach a 7D II body it becomes a 2560mm lens.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
mnclayshooter said:
I have a question that may or may not have a very intelligent answer as it's not a super intelligent question..

Why bother saying that this is an 800mm lens with a built-in 1.4x teleconverter... why not just call it a 1120mm lens? Is there an ability to not use the teleconverter? I have zero experience with the 200-400 so bear with my ignorance.

Edit: never mind - I found the answer... it is selectable. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/973129-REG/canon_5176b002_ef_200_400mm_f_4l_is.html?gclid=CLCa-siKhMoCFQMFaQodDPsHuA

Anyone know how this works? just out of curiosity does it flip down or slide out of the way inside the barrel of the lens? - referring to the 200-400, that is... assuming that it would be somewhat similar on this proposed 800+??? lens.

No stupid questions, only answers ;D

Yes the TC would swing in and out of the optical path via a small lever. Canon currently do this on the 200-400 f4, so you get a 200-400 f4 and a 280-560 f5.6, they did it years ago on the FD 1200 f5.6 too, that became a 1680 f8 but none are left in existence.

I can see a great deal of interest in a 600 IS MkII quality new 800 with built in TC, but the IQ would have to be better than the 600 plus 1.4 as a native and better than the 600 plus 2x TC with the 1.4 slotted in. It would give you a 1200 (close enough) f8 at a fraction of the price of the not so good and IS less EF 1200 f5.6, you'd be able to carry it too, unlike the native 1200..........

Upvote 0

Berowne

... they sparkle still the right Promethean fire.
Jun 7, 2014
Canon Rumors said:
We’re not sure how many big white lenses Canon is currently selling, but it feels that there may be some market saturation for the lenses and we’re not sure there ever needs to be an 800mm replacement.

As i said sometime ago about the new 35mm Prime. If you build extremely well lenses with a long life expectancy you run in some dilemma when everybody who effectively can purchase such a lense own one.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
TeT said:
800 with a 1.4 on a crop body; sharp with good color and contrast would get alot of attention (1792mm)

An 800 with a 1.4 is 1120 on any body - it doesn't get longer on a crop. I'm not splitting hairs: although its field of view on a crop is equivalent to that of a 1792mm on FF, its resolution depends on the pixel size of the sensor. The resolving power of a telephoto on a 5DS is about the same as on a 7DII as they have very similar pixel sizes.

Upvote 0

TeT

I am smiling because I am happy...
Feb 17, 2014
AlanF said:
TeT said:
800 with a 1.4 on a crop body; sharp with good color and contrast would get alot of attention (1792mm)

An 800 with a 1.4 is 1120 on any body - it doesn't get longer on a crop. I'm not splitting hairs: although its field of view on a crop is equivalent to that of a 1792mm on FF, its resolution depends on the pixel size of the sensor. The resolving power of a telephoto on a 5DS is about the same as on a 7DII as they have very similar pixel sizes.

You are correct; it is not splitting hairs... and arguments could be made for either filling up the view finder or cropping to it afterwards.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 91053

Having owned the current Canon 800 F5.6 L IS for over 2 years I can't see much room for significant improvement. Certainly the 600 F4 Mk2 is slightly better, but it is shorter and bulkier as well as being a piece more expensive on the used market. Many report that the 600 Mk2 + a Canon 1.4 Mk3 extender is better than the 800, perhaps it is in some circumstances. When I tried this combination I found the AF slower than the bare 800 with IS off(on my 1DX) though the IQ seemed to be as good.
Overall my current 800 (bought used) is better than my camera and was a LOT more reasonably priced than a new 600 Mk2!
I am sure that Canon could, and probably will, make a better 800mm lens but so what? The current model is very hard to improve on, plus the new one will be hideously expensive, so of little interest to me.
One thing they could do though is get rid of the IS. Heresy I know but it just gets in the way of the AF system and many current pro cameras don't really need it - I certainly don't. Less complication, a useless element eliminated from the focal path and a couple of switches less - sounds good to me. Most will not agree but I have the lens and frequently hand hold it and I don't want IS. Feel free to open fire!

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
TeT said:
AlanF said:
TeT said:

You are correct; it is not splitting hairs... and arguments could be made for either filling up the view finder or cropping to it afterwards.
Agreed!

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Eldar said:
neuroanatomist said:
Canon Rumors said:
It’s going to have to offer something quite unique to get current owners of big white lenses to get on board.

I could see an 800/5.6 DO lens, physically shorter than the 600/4 II, being attractive to some...especially if launched before a 600/4 DO.
+1
That is the only reasonable option.

They could make a 1000mm/5.6 DO. That's something no one else sells. It could be a ton smaller than the Sigma 200-500/2.8 since it's a little less aperture, a prime, and a DO.

Upvote 0