Canon to Fix ‘R5 Freeze’ Issue in Firmware

When the R3 firmware update came out and indicated it quashed a freeze problem, the ears of many R5 owners perked up. And now we have confirmation from multiple people speaking directly to Canon service representatives that they expect a firmware fix to be pushed out for the R5 in the next release.
canoneosr5.png
A Canon service rep stated in an email, “Canon has already acknowledged this phenomenon in question and is now planning to correct the firmware. Once the countermeasure firmware is ready, we will make an announcement on our Web site.”
The R5 freeze issue proved to be rare for most people who experienced it. Opening the battery compartment and closing it successfully resets the camera in a couple seconds. While many forum dwellers attempted to narrow down the settings and accessories that might be involved, the infrequency of...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Refraction

CR Pro
Sep 5, 2020
This is good news, especially as one of the earlier firmware updates was supposed to have sorted it already but did not. But until they fix the AF downgrade / cripple they sneaked into FW1.5 I will be staying put at FW1.4. I have already dialled back the FW on our three R5's from 1.5 to 1.4 so I will sit tight for a few weeks after the latest release to see what user experience is.

Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
This is good news, especially as one of the earlier firmware updates was supposed to have sorted it already but did not. But until they fix the AF downgrade / cripple they sneaked into FW1.5 I will be staying put at FW1.4. I have already dialled back the FW on our three R5's from 1.5 to 1.4 so I will sit tight for a few weeks after the latest release to see what user experience is.
Please expound on the AF downgrade that came along with firmware 1.5? I would like know about this in detail and have other R5 shooters that have the downgrade installed to chime in as well.

Upvote 0
My R6 freezes all the time if:
1) I have image Review on LCD on
2) I have back button focus
3) I set on one of the back buttons to eye-focus.

Now it freezes if you take a picture, then when it appears on the LCD you press the eye-focus button and the try to take another picture.
If you do that 3-4 times it freezes.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Can you describe how exactly the AF got crippled?

EDIT: ignore that please. I just read some of your posts.

I did not have eye AF issues with 1.5.0 but I shot only static subjects using 24-70 and 85 1.2 indoors.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Please expound on the AF downgrade that came along with firmware 1.5? I would like know about this in detail and have other R5 shooters that have the downgrade installed to chime in as well.
I think he is referring to this thread. I haven't paid any attention because I haven't noticed any problem.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
The AF isn't crippled, it seemed to result in less sharp photos going from 1.4 to 1.5. I reverted mine back to 1.4 after that. I tried it on multiple RF lenses (70-200/2.8, 85/1.4, 28-70/2) and get similar results. In my instance it wasn't horrible, but going from very sharp eyes to mostly sharp for portrait work, really isn't ideal. I don't care about the automobile tracking.

Upvote 0
Can you describe how exactly the AF got crippled?

EDIT: ignore that please. I just read some of your posts.

I did not have eye AF issues with 1.5.0 but I shot only static subjects using 24-70 and 85 1.2 indoors.
I had issues with some of the non L glass like the 35mm where it started hunting erratically with the 1.5.0 firmware. Once I downgraded it back to 1.4.0 the issue went away.

Upvote 0
Glad to hear this, I have only had this issue twice recently with my RF100-500 when using back button on a dark object against a bright background the EVF goes black and the camera reboots in 10 seconds or so, I cleaned all contacts and checked all batteries and cards, but a fix would be good.

As far as 1.4 vs 1.5, the tracking of head/eye is better in 1.5 but there is an issue with back button focusing in 1,5, I have three back buttons setup on my R5 and the 'normal' back button seems to be less likely to focus with 1.5.

Upvote 0

calfoto

Long Time Lurker
CR Pro
Feb 27, 2013
My R5 and R would freeze every time I zoomed with my 24-70 EF lens. The lens still works fine on my 5D, but shuts the R5 down completely and I have to pop the battery out. Wonder if this will fix that.
Just curious if you’re using the Canon EF to R adapter, or a 3rd party version? Also what version of the 24-70?

Upvote 0
Still hoping Canon will fix my R5 freeze. Seems random - just once a day of shooting or so. As far as I can tell it just locks up with tele zooms, especially RF 70-200 f/4. Can't tell what causes it but removing/replacing the battery is the only thing that gets the camera responding again. Seems a common problem. Who can we contact at Canon to amplify the need for a fix?

Upvote 0
My R6 freezes all the time if:
1) I have image Review on LCD on
2) I have back button focus
3) I set on one of the back buttons to eye-focus.

Now it freezes if you take a picture, then when it appears on the LCD you press the eye-focus button and the try to take another picture.
If you do that 3-4 times it freezes.
If your R6 is freezing that often I would send it back to Canon to get fixed.

I hope the Firmware update fixes all of the R5 freezing issues for everyone.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I downgraded my R5 to 1.4.0 today.

I didn't have any freeze in any firmware release but I believe I had some AF issues lately.

It seems responsive now and the only time it could not focus was USER ERROR (min focusing distance lens setting). Of course in really low light inside the house and with the 100-500 at 7.1 focusing was really slow but this is to be expected I guess (and it worked).

I also tried it with the RF2X and except from an almost dark room (let's not be unreasonable) R5 worked ok on a cloudy day.

It seems to focus in close distance reasonable well (when there are leaves close by and the sensor covers them almost but not fully). At least it worked with great magnification (600-1000mm).

The above do not represent of course 100% of camera's functionality but the basics seem OK.

So 1.4.0 stays for now and I will wait for 1.6.0 to see how I will proceed from there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0