Canon to release major firmware update for the Canon EOS R5

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
This would be very welcome, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I don't think we'll get an R6II style 'auto' option for subject detection.

One of the things I would like to see added to Canon firmwares in general is the ability to select a 3D box for limiting the AF zone. With the R3 and newer bodies we received the ability to resize the AF zones to get a 2D box, but not the ability to set focus limiters. Being able to set a 3D area would be great for monitoring perches and burrows.

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Yes, 2024 is a more logical date for a R5ii announcement, and the R5 will benefit from a few updates, although it's already an extremely good camera.

My wish list:

Pre-shooting buffer.
Better subject recognition and stickier tracking for a wide variety of wild animals.
AF initiated within any AF zone, and tracked across entire frame.
Exposure bracketing with electronic shutter.
Reduced EVF lag from startup/standby.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
My wishlist would be better DR in video mode, but I am pretty confident, that this wont happen with the same sensor and image processor.

Also it would be great to get an 4k60 oversampled image. the quality in 4khq is truly awesome - but I use mostly 4k60 for my work...

Btw, the last firmware upgrade was allready super crazy good - the overheat problem was completely fixed for me!

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[...]Also it would be great to get an 4k60 oversampled image. the quality in 4khq is truly awesome - but I use mostly 4k60 for my work... [...]
FWIW, the crop-mode 4k60 is oversampled from 5.1k. It works great for macro, but I can see that it's not a feasible option for other video work due to the 1.6x crop.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Hope they add focus assist in manual mode with "truly" manual lenses without electronic communication
and also, focus bracketing with mechanical shutter to be able to do hdr and flash
and finally super resolution, with sensor shifting
Agree!
Focus assist ("triangles") for fully manual lenses would be a very welcome addition, and greatly facilitate focusing, easier to use than the loupe function.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
FWIW, the crop-mode 4k60 is oversampled from 5.1k. It works great for macro, but I can see that it's not a feasible option for other video work due to the 1.6x crop.
It is an overheating issue.
The R5 should theoretically have the exact same readout speed of the R5 C which does have oversampled 4K 60.

Upvote 0
The bike vehicle option for me it's mandatory. As a motorbikes photographer, in frontal shots, I was always struggling because the focus is on the helmet (people), and not on the front light/fairing, even if vehicle is selected. Sometimes the rectangle is on the whole bike, mostly on the helmet.With big telephoto lenses, this could lead to the front part of the bike to be not in focus, a nightmare.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
As an R5 owner who sees the R6ii has updated animal af, with same processor as R5 it was kinda disheartening the R5 may not get refreshed af as it was capable. Hopefully this firmware gives us that, if it’s as good as the R6ii I may hold onto the camera longer.
According to Canon, the R6 II does not have the same processor as the R5.
Digic X is a family of processors.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0