Canon to release new firmware for the EOS R later this month

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We have been told that a minor firmware update will be released for the Canon EOS R later this month.
Apparently the firmware update will correct some wireless flash compatibility issues.
Do not expect any new features, this will definitely be a minor firmware release.
*Update* It looks like the update has moved to sometime in December 2019.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2011
I went from excitement to dissapontement in less than 3 seconds

Edit: by the way, there is a firmware update for the grip bg-e22, released few days ago

Here is what the BG update claims. Apparently some batteries don't want to charge? I think I've read posts about that.

In some cases the battery may not be charged through the BG-E22 when using the PD-E1 USB power adapter depending on the condition of the battery being used.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
You know, if the R shot 7fps in servo focus I’d buy it in a minute. I’m 100% sure it’s intentionally crippled so it isn’t better than my 5D4. I would be so happy with that camera.
You can use that word however it's not accurate nor does it show an understanding of product tiers. It's called differentiating. Now I know you're not asking the Rebel line to have 1DX software features.... (maybe you are!)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
You can use that word however it's not accurate nor does it show an understanding of product tiers. It's called differentiating. Now I know you're not asking the Rebel line to have 1DX software features.... (maybe you are!)

one may understand product tiers and not agree with or like them. A camera in similar price range with slightly faster fps is not equivalent to pro features on a sub 1k camera. I'm in similar boat as cosmo, though I don't think it was intentionally crippled.. just rushed and they didn't quite have the horsepower to handle everything they were trying to do.

I likely would've plonked down $$ if the fps was about what he indicated.

Canon has some really great tech and seems to omit weird things that should be there and honestly only require software they've already developed in other models. It's their right, but doesn't mean it doesn't frustrate some of us and also makes us not want to spend $ on their latest offerings.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
You know, if the R shot 7fps in servo focus I’d buy it in a minute. I’m 100% sure it’s intentionally crippled
It isn't. Canon's older sensors are just too slow in terms of read out to deliver accurate focus and high FPS at the same time.

Just look at the M6 II (32.5 MP, 14 FPS with AF) to see that newer Canon sensors have improved greatly in this regard and wait a few months until Canon puts this tech in some FF bodies.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
It isn't. Canon's older sensors are just too slow in terms of read out to deliver accurate focus and high FPS at the same time.

Just look at the M6 II (32.5 MP, 14 FPS with AF) to see that newer Canon sensors have improved greatly in this regard and wait a few months until Canon puts this tech in some FF bodies.

And that's a new sensor combined with an 'old' digic 8, imagine what it could do with a digic 9.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
And that's a new sensor combined with an 'old' digic 8, imagine what it could do with a digic 9.
We'll see when the 1DX III or high res R come around, I guess. Currently, the rumors that the 1DX III will be around 24 MP, 20 FPS Max would indicate that at least with that body, they are not willing or able to push past the M6 II throughput. So that has my expectations a bit dampened.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
You know, if the R shot 7fps in servo focus I’d buy it in a minute. I’m 100% sure it’s intentionally crippled so it isn’t better than my 5D4. I would be so happy with that camera.
In some respects it is better than the 5D Mark IV. Which is better depends upon what one wants to use a camera for. You know that. Otherwise, why would one make the switch for just a matching frame rate? Be real, dude.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I've been using the 630ex's with it and have not noticed any issues. While I have used a flash as a master for two other Speedlites, I realize now I haven't tried just the commander on the hot-shoe. Wonder if that might be part of this firmware?

DOH! Please see my next post, below!

Anybody noticed anything with Canon Speedlites?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I've been using the 630ex's with it and have not noticed any issues. While I have used a flash as a master for two other Speedlites, I realize now I haven't tried just the commander on the hot-shoe. Wonder if that might be part of this firmware?

Anybody noticed anything with Canon Speedlites?
I have not noticed any issues with my Flashpoint lighting off camera... including on the 28-70 and the mentioned concern with the LED AF light. The LED AF light is only good to about 12'-13' out anyway. I've had no trouble focusing the 85mm past that distance (real dark conditions), but I have yet to use the 28-70 at a low light shoot.

Last edited:
Upvote 0