Canon TS-E 50mm f/2.8L Tilt-Shift Macro Lens First Impressions

bod

CR Pro
Dec 5, 2013
When rumours were posted on this site several years ago about possible new Tilt Shift lenses being in the works from Canon I was hoping that they would eventuate and was really pleased this year when the rumours proved to be correct. I have owned the TS-E 24 II for some time and it is a fine lens. I value the added flexibility/possibilities that tilt and shift offer and enjoy the processes involved for the photographer in using a tilt shift lens.

Normally I wait for plenty of reviews, particularly from Bryan at TDP and aim to rent and try before I buy. However Canon Australia had a good December discount going and surprisingly to me included the new TS-E lenses. Having read the very positive ePhotozine review (thanks to CR for letting me know about this review) I decided to take the plunge. I have been using the 50 TS-E lens over the last couple of days when family Christmas festivities have permitted.

Some images I have taken are in a new thread for this lens in the image gallery.

My first impressions are:
• The look and feel of the lens body is very similar to the Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
• The size of the lens is very similar to the Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, the 50 being a bit longer
• Ergonomically both lenses are similar to use as regards organisation of the Shift, tilt and rotate functions.
• The MF ring has a nice feel, smooth but with enough resistance which suits me fine as it minimises the possibility of accidentally changing focus when making other adjustments.
• Full marks to Canon for the larger knob on the Tilt adjustment. This is much easier to use. Great that it is on the tilt adjustment since this is the one I am more likely to be making fine adjustments too.
• The weight specifications say the 50 is 945 gm (v 780 for the TS-E 24 II) which ephotozine described as hefty but well balanced on their 5DS R. I think weight is a very subjective/relative topic. If your normal setup is an EOS M plus EFM 22 then hefty would be right. If like me you regularly use fast primes with a DSLR then 945 is within a familiar range and equally so if you regularly use one of the Canon f/2.8 zooms. I like the feel and balance of the 50 TS-E on my 6D and have carried it in my hands and used it for 3 hours several times without discomfort. Since a tilt shift lens is going to see plenty of tripod work then weight is less of any issue then anyway.

Overall I have loved using this lens so far. It is a good looking optic and feels well balanced on my 6D. Of the images I have taken so far I like the colour and rendering of the lens. I will leave others to fully test the lens optically but I have not picked up any issues yet.

Attachments

• 6D and 50 TS-E.JPG
    6D and 50 TS-E.JPG
    441 KB · Views: 120