Canon updates DPP and EOS Utility, adds full EOS R6 and EOS-1D X Mark III support

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Jun 17, 2012
China
Really want to see a proper update to DPP! Like clarity and de-haze sliders and colour vibrance and stuff.

DPP is an ancient and slow software. Even v.4.15 has no hardware acceleration in converting RAW. The GPU is only for viewing images and restricted in NVIDIA CUDA 2.0 or above.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
DPP is an ancient and slow software. Even v.4.15 has no hardware acceleration in converting RAW. The GPU is only for viewing images and restricted in NVIDIA CUDA 2.0 or above.
I know what you’re saying, but I still use it over lightroom. Lightroom is way too cluttered for me. Also Canon’s digital lens optimiser is awesome for macro work!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Be careful. There are those who vigorously defend this software because it’s “free”.

Have a look at the replies to this thread.

DPP 5.0

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Be careful. There are those who vigorously defend this software because it’s “free”.
Its a matter of expectations. Some put the bar at a fully functional software, such as photoshop, and would inevitably find the free software disappointing. Some look at the bang for the buck ratio, and are likely happy with what they get for free.

Like FamilyGuy, I would be happy if DPP could stitch panoramas. Actually, I would be happy if DxO photolab could stitch panoramas. I use Photoshop for that, and one of the reasons I tried to stitch panoramas with PSP, and it doesn't work as well. Which is the point - Canon is a camera manufacturer. Its not in the business of photo editing software, and isn't competing with Adobe, certainly not with its free offering of DPP.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Its a matter of expectations. Some put the bar at a fully functional software, such as photoshop, and would inevitably find the free software disappointing. Some look at the bang for the buck ratio, and are likely happy with what they get for free.

Like FamilyGuy, I would be happy if DPP could stitch panoramas. Actually, I would be happy if DxO photolab could stitch panoramas. I use Photoshop for that, and one of the reasons I tried to stitch panoramas with it, and it doesn't work as well. Which is the point - Canon is a camera manufacturer. Its not in the business of photo editing software, and isn't competing with Adobe, certainly not with its free offering of DPP.
I use Affinity Photo for panorama stitching. $25, fully functional with updates and no subscription. I process in DPP4 and stitch in Affinity.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

Like FamilyGuy, I would be happy if DPP could stitch panoramas. Actually, I would be happy if DxO photolab could stitch panoramas. I use Photoshop for that, and one of the reasons I tried to stitch panoramas with it, and it doesn't work as well. Which is the point - Canon is a camera manufacturer. Its not in the business of photo editing software, and isn't competing with Adobe, certainly not with its free offering of DPP.
How long ago were you using PS and it didn’t work for you? Are you doing complicated multirow stitches, handheld two or three images etc. It is one of the features they have upgraded under the hood without really telling people.

I find PS stitching to be very good, indeed in LR I now regularly blend and stitch at the same time entirely automatically In one click.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
How long ago were you using PS and it didn’t work for you? Are you doing complicated multirow stitches, handheld two or three images etc. It is one of the features they have upgraded under the hood without really telling people.

I find PS stitching to be very good, indeed in LR I now regularly blend and stitch at the same time entirely automatically In one click.
Reading again my reply, I realize I've mis-edited it.

Photoshop is the best stitching software I've tried to date, and it rarely fails. I meant to write I tried Paint Shop Pro, and it failed where Photoshop stitched the photos without a hitch. I could try PTGui, which I've heard is excellent, but why make my life more complicated?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Reading again my reply, I realize I've mis-edited it.

Photoshop is the best stitching software I've tried to date, and it rarely fails. I meant to write I tried Paint Shop Pro, and it failed where Photoshop stitched the photos without a hitch. I could try PTGui, which I've heard is excellent, but why make my life more complicated?
I’ve used PTGui for extreme panoramas and 360° shots, it is an amazing tool for that kind of thing but I have found PS rarely fails, if it does it is normally due to my bad capture practices.

Upvote 0
Its a matter of expectations.

Absolutely. I think you’ll find that’s the point I was making in that thread.

Canon is a camera manufacturer. Its not in the business of photo editing software, and isn't competing with Adobe, certainly not with its free offering of DPP.

Correct. But, the camera that they are competing with is in everyone’s pocket. I do not expect a Lightroom/Photoshop replacement. Nor do I expect a fully functioning DAM system.

But, Canon is selling cameras worth thousands of dollars (if you include the lenses). I expect 2020 level software that allows me to get the images off my camera with ease, process the RAW files with some simple post processing that produces good quality images for sharing directly or opening in other software. Remember, Canon keep the lens image data to themselves and lenses like the 24-240RF are designed with digital correction in mind. There is no excuse for 7 year old, clunky software.

Upvote 0

Have a look at the replies to this thread.

DPP 5.0
don't think I can understand if people hanging around in a forum like this discussing all the latest gear for thousands and thousands of dollars would even blink an eye at subscription costs of the Adobe photography plan of about 12 dollars per month ... in comparison to any lately announced lens or body this is so negligible that in relation it can also be considered 'free'

Upvote 0
don't think I can understand if people hanging around in a forum like this discussing all the latest gear for thousands and thousands of dollars would even blink an eye at subscription costs of the Adobe photography plan of about 12 dollars per month ... in comparison to any lately announced lens or body this is so negligible that in relation it can also be considered 'free'
Many of us have a hobby and enjoy our Canon gear and enjoy discussing photography. Myself, I’ve never spent more than $600 on a lens or $1,000 on a body. I would not consider at all committing $144 a year to software when the bulk of my photography comes from family time and a couple vacations a year.
This isn’t a pro-photographers forum.

Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
I personally hate subs with a passion. Give me a product I can buy, and I'll choose if I want to update it to the next version when it arrives. I really don't care if it costs more than the 12 per/mo in a 1 year time period (although I'll admit I try to keep it under that price point).

Upvote 0