Canon USA introduces new instant rebates on select RF lenses

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon USA has started a new instant rebate program on select RF mount lenses.

Canon RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM $899 (Reg $1099)
Canon RF 28-70mm f/2L USM $2799 (Reg $2999)
Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM $449 (Reg $499)
Canon RF 50mm f/1.2L USM $2099 (Reg $2299)
Canon EOS R w/24-105mm f/4L IS USM Kit $2899 (Reg $3399)
Canon EOS RP w/24-105mm f/4L IS USM Kit $2199 (Reg $2399)

The lenses and camera bundles also come in various different bundles. Be sure to check under “More product options” before adding to cart to see if there’s a bundle that interests you.

Continue reading...

Photo Hack

Hi there
Apr 8, 2019
I just bought the 35mm from an authorized seller on amazon about 6 days ago. Anyone have success doing price adjustments?

I know Amazon stopped doing that. If it’s instant rebate from Canon, I wonder if I can contact them to work something out......hmmm

Would be nice because it would pay for the variable ND filter I bought with it.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
All Canon RF lenses are overpriced
Generally speaking, nearly all mirrorless lenses are overpriced.
So far, only Sony 24mm F1.4 GM is reasonable.
the 24-70 ii was like 2200 though. Just say you believe all first party "flagship" lens are overpriced.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

mpphoto

CR Pro
Dec 15, 2013
The RF 24-105mm f/4L is $900 and the 35mm f/1.8 is $450, new. Not overpriced, in my opinion. That said, I do hope we will see more RF glass for less than $1000 within the next 2 years.

The 24-240mm at $900 is tempting because I will find it so useful, but I'm hesitant to drop that much money on a non-L lens that hasn't been thoroughly reviewed by anyone I trust yet. I'm pretty sure I'll buy that lens eventually. If the reviews are great, I'll pay list price. If they are middling, I will wait for a sale or refurb.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Stuart

Hi, Welcome from an ePhotozine fan, & 6D user.
Jul 22, 2010
London & Woking
www.ephotozine.com
It'd be easy to spend £10,000 (or $10,000) on my current RF wish list - it is though a little harder to pay for it, and even harder to justify it to my significant other ;)
For how long has a small family car cost the same as a decent ILC setup?

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2016
I'm pleased to see the rebates even though I paid full price for the RF glass I already bought - Canon really is serious about the new mount.

I honestly think those complaining about the price should remember that Canon, like Nikon, nearly always does this with new lenses, ie charge a high price at introduction. Plus R&D costs will be higher this time with the whole new mount. The only obvious exception I can think of in recent years was the EF 85L IS and that was a situation where Sigma had a really highly regarded 85/1.4 Art at a very competitive price. In the RF mount Canon has no competition at the moment.

Regardless we must remember that Canon has a long standing policy of gradually reducing the price and in time many older but top class L mount lenses become quite good value. It's a sensible way to keep loyal customers. However it does mean that the new mount doesn't have lenses in that bracket. But look today at the price of the EF 135L or EF 24-70L II - both can be adapted to the R and there's very little size penalty versus the new RF glass in the case of the 24-70. You get a lovely classic 135 that might not be the absolute sharpest any more but has a gorgeous rendering and you get the world's best 24-70 (perhaps it will lose that crown to the RF 24-70 IS soon, time will tell; it's still better than anything Nikon, Sigma, Sony or Tamron have made in the 24-70 market) - all for a very reasonable price. Splash out on the control ring adapter and you even get the same extra functionality of the new lenses. Really I think it's a good way to go for those wanting to try mirrorless and is so much better than the position Nikon users are in where the old glass is very hit and miss on the Z bodies. For me the best thing has been to use the EF 50L on the R - what a revelation that lens is when you get perfect focus at f/1.2 anywhere in the frame. Even with the adapter it is considerably smaller than the new RF 50L. If you like a 50 for dreamy portraits and unique rendering the EF lens is the way to go anyway and it's now for sale at a very fair price or you can find barely used ones second hand as so many people don't take the time to learn how to use it or get frustrated with its focus quirks on an SLR.

So really, anyone worried about spending too much my advice is give it a little time and enjoy all the world class EF L mount glass the early adopters are selling to fund their GAS ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I take this as a pretty bad sign that the canon bodies are not going to be coming out very soon. The next bodies we had been expecting were supposed to be more professional, and facing much, much more pent up demand. It is unlikely that canon would’ve discounted them immediately prior to the release of those bodies.

Upvote 0