Canon USA launches new instant rebates on select Canon RF lenses, save up to $400!

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Sep 11, 2014
Hubris fading after all about that 100mm L Macro. Overpriced with useless features SA control and Focus shift. Funniest thing is used RF 100mm L Macros are selling for above $1100 on B&H itself.

I've enjoyed my 100 Macro. Gotten a lot of photographs of interesting insects around my yard. My keeper rate isn't as high as with other lenses though.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Hi, sorry but what is Focus Shift?
When stopping down a lens shifts the focal plane. Since dual-pixel AF (used in RF bodies) is a phase detection method of autofocus, the camera will focus the lens with the aperture wide open then stop it down (if set to a narrower aperture) to take the picture. If you have the aperture set to an intermediate value (narrower than wide open but wider than ~f/8 depending on subject distance), a lens with focus shift will produce an back-focused image (the magnitude of the error varies with aperture and subject distance). At narrower apertures the DoF is deep enough to mask the back focus.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I remind everyone that the market always sets the price eventually. Clearly the market was telling Canon that the 100 RF Macro was overpriced, so they had to adjust the price. It has happened before with select EF lenses (Most notably the EF 24, 28 and 35 non-L lenses) and used to happen all the time with bodies. Pandemic-related shortages skewed the market for the last few years, but eventually we will get back to normal. But, don't count on any across the board reductions, especially on popular items like the 100-500. The market has already spoken there.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
The focus shift issue on the 100mm macro is probably over-hyped but it is there. If Canon would allow their bodies to focus stopped down—even if it required holding the DOF button—the issue would be resolved as far as I'm concerned. I'd really like to be able to combine back-button focus with assigning DOF preview to the shutter button half press. IIRC, my Fuji bodies did this by default. I was nice. It made a separate DOF preview button unnecessary.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The focus shift issue on the 100mm macro is probably over-hyped but it is there. If Canon would allow their bodies to focus stopped down—even if it required holding the DOF button—the issue would be resolved as far as I'm concerned. I'd really like to be able to combine back-button focus with assigning DOF preview to the shutter button half press. IIRC, my Fuji bodies did this by default. I was nice. It made a separate DOF preview button unnecessary.
On the R3, it's possible to make DoF Preview the default mode. However, you can't have that and OVF simulation (tone mapped image simulating OVF-like DR) at the same time. Also, activating AF cancels out the DoF Preview so it doesn't help with focus shift.

Upvote 0