Canon USA launches new instant rebates on select Canon RF lenses, save up to $400!

Johnw

EOS R8
Oct 10, 2020
I remind everyone that the market always sets the price eventually. Clearly the market was telling Canon that the 100 RF Macro was overpriced, so they had to adjust the price. It has happened before with select EF lenses (Most notably the EF 24, 28 and 35 non-L lenses) and used to happen all the time with bodies. Pandemic-related shortages skewed the market for the last few years, but eventually we will get back to normal. But, don't count on any across the board reductions, especially on popular items like the 100-500. The market has already spoken there.

Similarly, the market clearly indicated that the 24-105L was underpriced and thus Canon increased the price on that and it’s now going for around $200 more than initially introduced at.

Upvote 0

Johnw

EOS R8
Oct 10, 2020
Boycott Canon! I don't care what kind of sale Canon has. I won't buy their system until they release the hold on third party lenses. Switching to Sony + iPhone in the meantime.

Sorry to see you go. I mean, since you’ll be boycotting Canon, I’m assuming a website devoted mostly to Canon news won’t have much relevance for you going forward.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Boycott Canon! I don't care what kind of sale Canon has. I won't buy their system until they release the hold on third party lenses. Switching to Sony + iPhone in the meantime.
I think you're joking... The one lens that makes me a little envious of Sony shooters is that new 24-70 f2.8 Mk II. So small. So light. So sharp.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I intend to seriously boycott them! I have about 10 RF lenses (more than I can handle) and getting more would be very bad for my wallet, unreasonable and it would cause confusion when going on vacation :cool::DPlus they already fight for a place in front of my R5 :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Similarly, the market clearly indicated that the 24-105L was underpriced and thus Canon increased the price on that and it’s now going for around $200 more than initially introduced at.
In Germany, it's worse with the RF24-105mm F4 L.
It started out at 1.199 €, but was available for 999 € as a kit lens and it was paired with all cameras: R, RP, R6/ R5. With cash back, you were able to get it for 899 € sometimes (or in my case 799 € due to a special Rabatte of the seller).

At the worst point of the pandemic related shortages, it sold for 1.599 € - 1.699 €. It was then advertised as "on sale with great savings" at 1.499 €. Currently, the price has dropped to 1.449 - 1.499 € but it is still a huge increase imho.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Johnw

EOS R8
Oct 10, 2020
In Germany, it's worse with the RF24-105mm F4 L.
It started out at 1.199 €, but was available for 999 € as a kit lens and it was paired with all cameras: R, RP, R6/ R5. With cash back, you were able to get it for 899 € sometimes (or in my case 799 € due to a special Rabatte of the seller).

At the worst point of the pandemic related shortages, it sold for 1.599 € - 1.699 €. It was then advertised as "on sale with great savings" at 1.499 €. Currently, the price has dropped to 1.449 - 1.499 € but it is still a huge increase imho.

So it’s marginally worse then but not substantially. 200 dollars vs 300 euros in current price vs intro price = difference of 100 currency units.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
Ironically, a brand new R body is selling for less than the refurb on Canon's own site. Kind of indicative of their stratospheric pricing strategies.

I should have bought one two years ago when they were on fire sale for about 1150. I was so turned off by the lack of QA on Canon refurbs ive received that I didn't want to bother at the time. Ah well.

That said, these are some solid discounts - too bad the lenses are still too expensive and a non-L lenses are mostly cheap junk.

I wonder if the rf-50 1.4 is on sale? They don't want to make those... grrr.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I came across this today: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1757213/2#16059736

It has a workaround for eliminating the focus shift at non-macro magnifications.
Interesting!
But I'm not ready to spend Euro1500 and have to accept a "workaround" in order to get sharp macros. It's a pity, because, if it weren't for the focus shift, this lens would be fantastic. Still hoping for a Canon software solution...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I came across this today: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1757213/2#16059736

It has a workaround for eliminating the focus shift at non-macro magnifications.
Thanks for sharing. That plus the $400 rebate made me take another look at the RF 100 Macro.

I’d end up paying ~$600 (lens plus $200 tripod ring minus proceeds from selling my EF 100L Macro). Still not enough to sway me, I’ll stick with the EF I have.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0