Canon WFT-E8A Specifications

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>The Canon WFT-E8A Wireless File Transmitter adds impressive wireless operation and speedy image transfer to the EOS-1D X Mark II camera. Featuring fast communication speed, expanded versatility and an enhanced user interface, the WFT-E8A not only boasts incredible speed, but also streamlines wireless photography configurations whether in the studio or on location. Supporting IEEE 802.11ac wireless protocol using both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands for high-speed image transfer, the WFT-E8A also features comprehensive smart device connectivity and numerous camera linked shooting options for advanced photography and movies. It’s an ideal complement to the speed and power of the EOS-1D X Mark II.</p>
<p><!--more--></p>
<p><b>Supports Wireless LAN: IEEE 802.11ac/n/a/g/b for ultra high-speed image transfer using both 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz.</b></p>
<p>Connecting to wireless Local Area Networks (LAN) via standards of IEEE 802.11ac/n/a/g/b on both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, the Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E8A is the first Canon WFT that can communicate on the IEEE 802.11ac standard. On this fast standard, the WFT-E8A can transfer data at speeds of up to 433 Mbps, almost three times faster than on the IEEE 802.11n standard, at a range of up to 492 ft.</p>
<p><b>Transfer images at your convenience using FTP transfer, EOS Utility, WFT Server or Canon Camera Connect app*.</b></p>
<p>The Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E8A offers a number of convenient ways to transfer images based on the location, available equipment and the task at hand. Image transfer directly from the camera to local or offsite servers is facilitated via easily configurable FTP transfer. With Canon’s refined EOS Utility software installed on a PC, full-featured Live View remote shooting and image transfer are made simple. Accessed through a browser on a computer, tablet or compatible smartphone, Canon’s WFT Server enables offsite still and movie capture without the need for additional software. Plus, with Canon’s free Camera Connect app*, remote operation and image transfer can be completed simply on a compatible smartphone or tablet.</p>
<p><i>* Compatible with iOS versions 7.1/8.4/9.0, Android smartphone and tablet versions 4.0/4.1/4.2/4.3/4.4/5.0/5.1. Data charges may apply with the download of the free Canon Camera Connect app. This app helps enable you to upload images to social media services. Please note that image files may contain personally identifiable information that may implicate privacy laws. Canon disclaims and has no responsibility for your use of such images. Canon does not obtain, collect or use such images or any information included in such images through this app.</i></p>
<p><b>Smart device connection is now available for remote shooting, sharing and transferring of images and video using the Canon Camera Connect app*.</b></p>
<p>Canon’s free Camera Connect app* makes it simple to connect a compatible smartphone or tablet to the EOS-1D X Mark II camera using the Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E8A. Remote operations such as Remote Live View still and motion capture, camera setting changes plus transferring images and MP4 movies are easily facilitated through the app’s simple and clear user interface.</p>
<p><i>* Compatible with iOS versions 7.1/8.4/9.0, Android smartphone and tablet versions 4.0/4.1/4.2/4.3/4.4/5.0/5.1. Data charges may apply with the download of the free Canon Camera Connect app. This app helps enable you to upload images to social media services. Please note that image files may contain personally identifiable information that may implicate privacy laws. Canon disclaims and has no responsibility for your use of such images. Canon does not obtain, collect or use such images or any information included in such images through this app.</i></p>
<p><b>Specially designed for use with the new EOS-1D X Mark II camera, with an improved UI, organized settings and a more simple display configuration.</b></p>
<p>Made to work seamlessly with the EOS-1D X Mark II camera, the Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E8A features dust- and moisture- resistance, and is also powered by the camera itself. Its new User Interface is designed to create wireless configurations of all levels of complexity, enabling wireless shooting and transfer of images and helping to create multi-camera wireless setup. Thanks to its reliable and robust wireless connections, the WFT-E8A helps enhance the creative options available to EOS-1D X Mark II users in both still and motion capture.</p>
<p><b>Wireless time syncing can sort images captured by multiple cameras and determine the accurate shooting sequence.</b></p>
<p>Syncing cameras is simple with the Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E8A’s wireless time syncing feature. Capable of syncing time on up to ten EOS-1D X Mark II cameras, the WFT-E8Aenables recording of a timed succession of images from different sources and can be saved with a dependable level of precision. Event photographers will find this feature especially helpful as it’s now possible to make time adjustments without having to connect directly to a computer.</p>
<p><b>Compact, durable and lightweight body sealed for dust- and water-resistance.</b></p>
<p>Portability is almost as important as how well a product functions. Offering a compact design, the Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E8A is both light and compact. Built to withstand inclement weather, this transmitter has the same dustproof and waterproof construction used in the EOS-1D X Mark II camera body. A durable design helps ensure that equipment can be safely used in various conditions, making the WFT-E8A an ideal accessory for demanding photographers constantly on the move.</p>
<p><strong>Price:</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>$599 USD</li>
</ul>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Meatcurry said:
This looks like it should be compatible with the 1DX, doesn't seem to mention it though

That's what I was thinking. In fact it sounds like it isn't when you read the press release, or at the very least may not work at full speed.

I will be checking out Canon’s free Camera Connect app, as I have not used that before.

Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2014
UK
dolina said:
This should have been built into the body rather than another darn accessory.

If the 6D has it built-in why cant this highfalutin camera.

I think there's a good reason its not built in, I guess its the solid metal body and weather sealing. I imagine Nikon had the same problem with the D5. The 6D doesn't have an all metal body and I'm guessing that the external adapter has a greater range that any builtin body could have. I also think that having an external adapter gives the user upgrade options during the life of the camera, I hope the WFT-E8 works with the 1DX and I hope that an 4G/LTE adapter will surface soon

Upvote 0
dolina said:

There are 599 good reasons why Canon did not build this into the body, at least from Canon's perspective.

They built in GPS (presumably in the hump) so I am sure it could have been done and it not just about the metal body. They're going to make a lot more money selling these, much more than they would have if it had been built in.

It may also be able to work with 1DX which would expand its market potential further.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Regarding the 1D X, there's the dedicated WFT-E6A for that body. Not sure how the features differ, I wonder if the -E6A works with the MkII, that may a more relevant question for some.

dolina said:

Perhaps Canon didn't want to make two versions like they have to with the 6D.

Upvote 0
expatinasia said:
dolina said:

There are 599 good reasons why Canon did not build this into the body, at least from Canon's perspective.

Indeed. Thinking that the built-in feature accounts for a nearly negligible amount on the price of the 6D whereas this accessory costs well over one half of the current 6D price makes me slightly upset, even if I'll never own a 1DxII. I know there are inescapable marketing reasons, nevertheless the buyers' scorn is also unavoidable. Isn't this a good example where an inexpensive third part accessory may flawlessly replace the original?

Here's another thought: should the WFT-E6A not work with the new body, wouldn't this somewhat take its toll on 1Dx owners' decision about whether to upgrade or not?

Upvote 0
dolina said:

Various.. the more metalwork you have the worse the antenna problems, some higher bitrate Wifi modes also require two antennas (lookup MIMO)
Wifi is still in a state of flux.. 60GHz wifi is coming and in 4 years it might all have changed.. a plug in module can keep up.
There are possible EMI issues.. some canons seem to dislike radio interference (this is where some banding issues have been traced to.. astrophotographers noticing that with certain kit their DSLR got more "bandy") Note also the least "bandy" DSLR to date has been the 6D.. makes me wonder if it's really a mastery of EMI suppression rather than a great antenna design, although that's certainly part of the equation.

GPS is much easier to integrate without causing issues as it doesn't radiate anything... however it does demand a quiet camera otherwise the GPS signals get swamped.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
dolina said:

Maybe. But you can't leave WiFi on by accident if you see something protruding from your camera. For some photographers, there could be places where WiFi is not only not welcome, but maybe even a risk (signal can be detected and traced). GPS just use passive receivers.

Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2014
UK
msatter said:
Why don't they put the antenna in the door of the CF-card. I am using 1D before and an little sdcard will transmit perfectly though the door. Canon can also put antennas in rubber pads on the camera and then they can even use Mimo for more speed.

I doubt that the SD card(EyeFi) could transmit upto 462ft, also it wont allow remote control of the camera.

Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2014
UK
bellorusso said:
In my canon 6D I still can't configure the wifi to work. Canon really sucks at it. Tho I still would prefer wifi built in 1Dx m2, as otherwise I won't buy this add-on transmitter anyways. I'll use something else.

Are you sure that its Canon that sucks?, I had a 70D and the wifi worked fine, I'm guessing that a brand new 1DX2 and the WFT-E8A will also work pretty good.....unless you tried to configure it ;) ;)

Upvote 0