Canon will release RF versions of the 300mm f/2.8 and 500mm f/4 in early 2022 [CR2]

A smaller and lighter 500 f4 would be a game changer and would cause a lot of photographers to go into Canon R (if they aren't already). Even their current small and light RF 70-200 2.8 is enough to make me consider to switching back to Canon (I went from EOS to Nikon F two years ago, mostly for the 500 PF lens).

Reactions: FrenchFry

GMCPhotographics

EOS 5D Mark IV
CR Pro
Aug 22, 2010
Uk
www.GMCPhotographics.co.uk
Yet Sigma had the balls to try it, and refined the design over three revisions. Canon didn't even bother.

I've seen plenty of sports and safari photos shot on the 120-300 that wouldn't have existed without it because, well, it exists and is half the cost of the 300mm 2.8

Is it only half as much lens? Maybe so, but that's better than no lens at all.
Like I said, in my opinion it's a waste of glass and metal. It's AF is ridiculously slow and inaccurate. It's way way heavier than it should be and it's got some serious breathing issues with the optical formula. The build isn't a patch on a Canon L lens either. Put it next to a S/H 300mm f2.8LIS and it'll lose in every metric, and that's an old Canon lens. Canon releases lens revision when there's a good technical upgrade reason to. Sigma put out new revisions every few years with a new paint job...but the same mechanicals.

Fischer

EOS RP
Mar 17, 2020
Agree that the price will likely be between 7.500 to 8.000 USD.
With the "low" RF 400mm f/2.8 L IS price touted today we could see a RF 300mm f/2.8 L IS come out at 6.500$ (maybe I'm hoping against hope here - but certainly the RF 400mm and 600mm were priced very reasonably).