Canon's Next ConnectStation to do 4K and Wireless Charging

I believe that wireless charging is the way to go.
Not only for cameras but phones and electric cars too.

While the charging is not as fast as a wired connection, it is very convenient.
A number of car makers will also soon offer a wireless charging pad on the centre console so when in your car, just put your phone on the console, and it will charge your phone on the move.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
WOW ... a HUUUUGE 1 TB internal HDD ... most certainly soldered in, not user-upgradeable ... in 2015 ... how many minutes of 4k video will fit? How many 50+ MP RAW files?

"This definitely looks to be a more useful device than the current model, and I would be interested in trying one out."

haha! My rating is: "complete waste, ignore it"!

PS: looks a lot like those body-fat measuring bathroom scales ... just step hard on it and get your soles wirelessly charged. ;D

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
This certainly looks like a much more useful model than the earlier CS100.

I am unsure whether I'll ever buy it... however I am interested in wireless charging (in general) - and I have no devices (yet) that have wireless charging.

So, can someone please explain to me their knowledge of wireless charging....
a) what range does it operate at, or is it via direct contact?
b) does it charge the battery the same rate as a wired Canon battery charger?
c) would it cause any interference (and/or potential danger) with other products - i.e. those with different batteries nearby - or other 'wireless' features?
d) does any other part of the charger or camera get warm / hot during charging?
e) anything else that comes to mind?

Thanks in advance, my CR friends / community.

Paul 8)

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
mkabi said:
BS or Truth??? -> http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/10-shocking-facts-health-dangers-wifi/

BS :) But if you want to wear a tin foil hat while charging your camera, that's entirely up to you.

Wireless charging is only going to be a Thing if manufacturers can agree on a 100% compatible standard between different devices. Do we want one wireless charger for our iPhone, one for our camera, one for our smart watch, etc. etc. Unfortunately given Apple's modus operandi it's likely their devices will not share chargers with anything else.

Upvote 0
current tech battery chargers are generally effective, small, fast, efficient.. why would I want to change.

Wireless charging strikes me (as a radio R&D engineer) as the wrong way to go about things.. I fully predict they will become a source of interference for other things. Radio space is precious, it should be use for things of value not because people are too lazy to plug a cable into a socket.

One other bad tech that is now getting beaten back is power line communications. Authorities here in Blighty are starting to take a dim view of this as it can cause serious interference

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/telecoms/11325914/You-could-be-prosecuted-over-your-broadband-thanks-to-GCHQ.html

Quelle Surprise!!

As for automatically uploading images to the cloud.... Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Might be fine for a snapshot camera, but I don't see it's relevance to professionals who don't want to just give their work away, or who need to share their images with their editors immediately rather than waiting until they've got home.

(I don't trust that the Cloud is either secure or safe as a backup.. there are instances of cloud storage being deleted by natural disasters or third parties and of being hacked)

Upvote 0
Wireless charging is a gimmick at the consumer level. It's less efficient, generates more heat/waste, and increases costs. As pointed out, in a device with removable batteries, it's as useless as wired charging would be. Do you charge your camera right now -- or would you if it were possible -- by plugging in a cord or do you charge the battery/batteries, possibly using another battery while that one is charging?

Wireless charging makes sense for medical devices and other sealed-environment batteries. It makes *some* sense for electric transportation in that you can keep a continuous trickle going if the vehicle is traveling over an inductive power source (e.g. embedded highways, monorails, etc). If the battery can be swapped or if connector life is not a huge concern, there's no other point to wireless charging other than laziness.

The power waste comes into play even more if -- as the gravitation towards wireless charging might suggest -- the user is lazy and doesn't disconnect the charger after each use (at which point, why not just plug in a regular charger?). Yes, you could have a trigger field that senses the camera to turn on full-power, but you're still trickling power out and complicating the design.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
outside of the usual eeyores... I find this rather interesting.

it actually elevates the use of a "station" to one where you just set your camera down, and everything's taken care of - from battery charging to distributing the files up to the cloud or wherever. I could see this being popular with the rebel / EOS-M / Powershot crowd.

1TB is more than enough for files in transit, and certainly more than enough for jpgs in which you'd push out to other media elements such as tv,etc.

I kind of chuckle when people complain that canon doesn't innovate, and when they do - they still complain because they know the market and the potential of future ideas better than the manufacturer.

Upvote 0

lw

Oct 9, 2013
Maximilian said:
To me the most interesting part of this article is what (nameless) DSLR they are using there on the pics?

Is it a mockup?
Is it a 760D/T6s - as the text says - and I don't recognize it? (But it looks bigger than that)
OR is it a 80D or 6D MkII? (with pop up flash rather no FF)

;)

Looks pretty much like a 760D to me. Identical.
The only reason the name is blocked out is because it has a different name in each major territory.

Upvote 0

lw

Oct 9, 2013
AvTvM said:
WOW ... a HUUUUGE 1 TB internal HDD ... most certainly soldered in, not user-upgradeable ... in 2015 ... how many minutes of 4k video will fit? How many 50+ MP RAW files?

The issue is not so much the size of the HDD but also the transfer speed of NFC (or the lack of it...) with such large files.

It will take as long to transfer your 4K files as it will to charge the camera.

Upvote 0
mkabi said:
BS or Truth??? -> http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/10-shocking-facts-health-dangers-wifi/

I wonder how this will affect our health?

Whenever you have words "natural" and "health" in the same sentence it's BS. Also, the most reliable, evidence-based list of 10 facts on any given day is Letterman Top 10.

Upvote 0
GmwDarkroom said:
The power waste comes into play even more if -- as the gravitation towards wireless charging might suggest -- the user is lazy and doesn't disconnect the charger after each use

I did not know that. I just ass-umed that wireless chargers needed the charged device near it before turning on.

My wife has one of these wireless charging toothbrushes that she never unplugs. I assume that is also eating power 24/7?

Upvote 0
rfdesigner said:
current tech battery chargers are generally effective, small, fast, efficient.. why would I want to change.

Wireless charging strikes me (as a radio R&D engineer) as the wrong way to go about things.. I fully predict they will become a source of interference for other things. Radio space is precious, it should be use for things of value not because people are too lazy to plug a cable into a socket.

For the camera, I agree with you. For the phone... no, I love it on the phone. Ever had the welds on the power cord contact get iffy? It's happened to me, both on phones and laptops. It's not about "lazy"; it's about taking away a weak point. That's also part of the reason I like Bluetooth headphones: a few phones and iPods of mine died from the headphone jack weld breaking. Cords suck.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Bennymiata said:
I believe that wireless charging is the way to go.
Not only for cameras but phones and electric cars too.

While the charging is not as fast as a wired connection, it is very convenient.
A number of car makers will also soon offer a wireless charging pad on the centre console so when in your car, just put your phone on the console, and it will charge your phone on the move.
I do agree the wireless charging is the way to go forwards, it reduces the cable clutter and also no worries about proprietary cables for charging(stupid apple to blame here). Although currently the wireless charging is just not worth the money. Wired chargers now a days have 90%< efficiency whereas for most of the wireless chargers the same energy transfer efficiency is merely 60%. that wasted energy is going to be turned into heat which is bad for electronics. Give it another 3-4 years of development and we will have wireless chargers that will be on par with current wired chargers.

Upvote 0