Can't wait for D20

Status
Not open for further replies.

thepancakeman

If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
Aug 18, 2011
Minnesota
Our cycling team's spring training trip is at the end of March, which means it precedes the D20 release.

I need (aka want) something that I can just throw in my jersey pocket to have along for the ride. Although I think it would be good to have waterproof/dropproof, is it really necessary? How durable is the S100--would it be at risk in a cycling jersey pocket? What about the D10--is it any good or would it feel pretty outdated? Any other thoughts suggestions?

I have a D10. It was the perfect knockaround camerafor hawaii honemyoon, esp on adventures when it's not really feasible to carry your normal rig around. Simple to use with dirty, wet hands, cleans under the sink if you get beer/sand/mai tai, mud on it. For pics at the beach, under water, etc...it is really good-considering what it is, and how durable it is. I never had any worries about it getting banged around a bit in adventures/hikes. Videos of zip lining turned out really good.

Downside-it is a little bulky. As a biker, too, it wouldn't do really well in a pocket unfortunately. Also, since it doesn't have many edges presumably to prevent damage-it can be hard to grip and handle a bit, since the covering is pretty smooth. I bought one of those screen protector kits with the clear flexible plastic screens, and from it, cut a bunch of custom strips and put them in strategic places to make it grippier. Problem solved.

Upvote 0
I used to bring my S95 with on all my bike rides. It was in a small backpack but it sill came along for all road or trail riding. The S100 will more than handle anything you can throw on it while on a bicycle and can handle falls as long as you don't fall ON it. I'm looking to pick up a D20 since I sold the S95 but that would also go kayaking, climbing, hiking, into the water, and any adventurous situation. In the end I'd say go D20 if you plan on dropping it or submerging it, but I'd take an S100 when I know I won't be going in the water or getting caught in the rain.

Upvote 0
If you haven't purchased the D20 yet, did you see the new Olympus TG-1iHS announced just now? It starts at F/2.0, and that is worth not having a canon when compared to the D20, to me. I'd like very much to have all Canons, but both aesthetically and feature-wise, the Olympus seems head and shoulders above the Canon. Check it out, http://amzn.to/IVdJTF

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
thepancakeman said:
@pdirestajr - great shots! My "deadline" for the D20 is well passed and I went with the S100 instead, but after seeing these shots I still may want to pick up a D20. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! I think I'm the only person that bought this camera. I don't use point & shoots often, so the D20 with it's added benefits made sense for me.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.