Caution - R5 is geocoded in China

mccasi

EOS M50
Oct 24, 2019
I preordered and bought my R5 in China as I'm usually (not this year) visiting once a year either way.
As image.canon gateway went straight to baidu cloud and no way to change this I've reached out to Canon UK repair centre.

They explained, that if I want to use image.canon, I will have to replace the PCB (!) with them, which has the geocoding and serial number that prevent me from chosing a server. This is a 465.72 GBP + shipping extra cost AND I would also forego my Chinese warranty by doing so.

This is the first instance of geocoding that I've experienced with Canon, so I was not prepared for that. I caution everyone who wants to buy their Canon gear in China, that they will (pending firmware update) not be able to use the key feature of image.canon - for me on the top 3 reasons why to get this one over the R6 (which has 2.4ghz slow wifi).

• Wow
Reactions: YuengLinger

Codebunny

EOS R1
Sep 5, 2018
Thanks for the heads up. This seems perfectly logical and reasonable on Canon's part. Never mind them not wanting people to buy in different markets, they likely have to lock the device to use Chinese only services in China. It's not like a person in China can use outside services, Google has long been blocked there and I don't think they'll want to try putting image.canon servers up, it would be quite a roadblock to releasing the camera.

mccasi

EOS M50
Oct 24, 2019
Thanks for the heads up. This seems perfectly logical and reasonable on Canon's part. Never mind them not wanting people to buy in different markets, they likely have to lock the device to use Chinese only services in China. It's not like a person in China can use outside services, Google has long been blocked there and I don't think they'll want to try putting image.canon servers up, it would be quite a roadblock to releasing the camera.
...ish, it's still entirely a firmware question, just pop up which region you want to be in. My R5 connects either way to a canon.com.cn server first, so they set this up either way, but it doesnt connect with the image.canon app in the end.

Jul 6, 2020
I’ve just encountered this too. im in the UK and bought my R5 online from Panamoz in HK, so I’m assuming its a Chinese version. Saved £600 On UK prices.

I tried to register to use image.canon and got an email back in Chinese, which when Google translated seemed to be allowing me to set up an account, but I didn’t proceed any further as wasn’t to sure what to do.

As an amateur I’m not too worried, but it would be nice to upload to Adobe Cloud if possible, but not sure what my options are now?

mccasi

EOS M50
Oct 24, 2019
I’ve just encountered this too. im in the UK and bought my R5 online from Panamoz in HK, so I’m assuming its a Chinese version. Saved £600 On UK prices.

I tried to register to use image.canon and got an email back in Chinese, which when Google translated seemed to be allowing me to set up an account, but I didn’t proceed any further as wasn’t to sure what to do.

As an amateur I’m not too worried, but it would be nice to upload to Adobe Cloud if possible, but not sure what my options are now?
if you have a HK or Chinese phone number, you can setup a baidu account and and then you could upload to baidu cloud.

Or you change the PCB with Canon UK, which is what I mentioned above.

Canon UK further clarified that it's due to Chinese regulations, but I feel this i s just a bad implementation.
Anyhow, resell value will be affected.