Compact Camera suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi again,

I have a friend that is a personal trainer and is in need of a new camera. He wants to be able to take action shots of himself in his gym, as well as have capability of taking video if possible for marketing purposes. He has a budget of $400. The priority is taking action shots, not so much the video. Again, I don't know much about P&S cameras, so I was hoping to get suggestions. I'm assuming he'll need a good aperture and ISO performance, and a decent MP count (12ish).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Mar 25, 2011
I think a beginning level Rebel DSLR would be likely to do a better job than a P&S, they are all slow to focus in the $400 range.
Canon is having a 20% off sale on Refurbs starting tomorrow, so you can get a T3i with lens for $448. You might also find one at B&H or Adorama. The refurbs I have bought have all been virtually new.
Otherwise, a G12, G15, or S100 might do the trick, but there is really no comparison to a DSLR as far as IQ indoors.
http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_283207_-1

Of course, there are $800 and up models, but in the $400 range, a refurb T3i with 18-55mm IS lens is the best option to do HD video and quality stills for advertising.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
I'd be recommending a Rebel over a Powershot. Action images are all about catching THE moment, not a fraction of a second after THE moment. I had modest, but reasonable hopes for the performance of the G15. My style of photography is all about "the moment" and I was missing these at such a massive rate I've sold the G15 after just a couple of months. Nice camera for static subjects. Get a video capable DSLR.

-PW

Upvote 0
H

Hobby Shooter

pwp said:
I'd be recommending a Rebel over a Powershot. Action images are all about catching THE moment, not a fraction of a second after THE moment. I had modest, but reasonable hopes for the performance of the G15. My style of photography is all about "the moment" and I was missing these at such a massive rate I've sold the G15 after just a couple of months. Nice camera for static subjects. Get a video capable DSLR.

-PW
Not to try to start a big discussion about this, considering the budget, a DSLR in that price range won't give you much low light capability compared to the S100 and frankly there isn't much action going on in a gym. Focus won't be the problem as I see it, it's more of getting the shutter speed up.

Otherwise I definitely agree with you, an S100 or similar will often be too slow with moving subjects, but I think our needs are different though as I'm merely an amateur.

Upvote 0

tntwit

Enthusiastic Amateur
Mar 3, 2012
WNY
As fine a camera as the S100 may be, just like cars, there is no replacement for displacement.

The T3i has a much larger sensor than the S100.

Please visit a review site and compare the T3i and the S100 at ISO 1600 and tell me again that the S100 has superior low light capability.

I suppose I'm not really sure what kind of action they are trying to capture, so performance may not be that important. However, if it is anything fast paced, I would have serious reservations about any compact camera. My experience has been too much shutter lag to capture what you want as noted about the G series above.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
eagles03 said:
Hi again,

I have a friend that is a personal trainer and is in need of a new camera. He wants to be able to take action shots of himself in his gym, as well as have capability of taking video if possible for marketing purposes. He has a budget of $400. The priority is taking action shots, not so much the video. Again, I don't know much about P&S cameras, so I was hoping to get suggestions. I'm assuming he'll need a good aperture and ISO performance, and a decent MP count (12ish).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Forget about P &S. get an entry level DSLR. The shutter delay of the P & S will kill almost any shot that you want to take.

Upvote 0
H

Hobby Shooter

tntwit said:
As fine a camera as the S100 may be, just like cars, there is no replacement for displacement.

The T3i has a much larger sensor than the S100.

Please visit a review site and compare the T3i and the S100 at ISO 1600 and tell me again that the S100 has superior low light capability.

I suppose I'm not really sure what kind of action they are trying to capture, so performance may not be that important. However, if it is anything fast paced, I would have serious reservations about any compact camera. My experience has been too much shutter lag to capture what you want as noted about the G series above.
LIke I said, I don't want to start an argument here, but I would say that the wide aperture on the S100 will outshine an old kit lens on a Rebel. Hence you don't need to use the high ISO. I don't claim to be correct here, but I have an S100 and I have had a Rebel (400D in Europe), now a 5D3. That is at least what my experience tells me. Shutter lag is definitely an issue though between a DSLR and an S100.

Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
Regardless how small the aperture is on the S100 the APC sized sensor is much much bigger so noise performance is much better, shooting at 1600-3200 at F5.6 say at 55mm on a kit lens will produce better results than say the S100s lowest aperture at say 800. DOF is easier to achieve with smaller sensors but still shooting wide open for documentation is never a good idea as you may miss the focal point entirely.

You have to remember gyms are really quite dark. I do a lot of editorial work for a newspapers and shoot a lot in gym environments and flash with higher ISO for a large DOF is a necessity in most gyms.

Some are better with a lot of available light through windows but in most cases they are quite dingy.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Hobby Shooter said:
LIke I said, I don't want to start an argument here, but I would say that the wide aperture on the S100 will outshine an old kit lens on a Rebel. Hence you don't need to use the high ISO.

The S100 lens is 1.5 stops faster at the wide end, and is 1/3 stop slower at the telephoto end vs. typical kit lenses. The T3i captures more detail and roughly the same amount of noise at ISO 3200 that the S100 does at ISO 400, a 3 stop difference. Because there's more detail you have greater room for NR meaning the practical difference is probably more like 4 stops. Now add in AF performance and shutter delay...

I don't know what kind of "gym action" this person hopes to capture or what the gym lighting conditions will be like. If the action requires solid AF tracking, an entry level DSLR is the minimum. If not, then the EOS M could be a good choice.

Personally I would recommend a used/refurbished entry level DSLR body and a fast prime at the required focal length if at all possible on that budget.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.