Computer Issue

jabird56

Explorer
CR Pro
Oct 16, 2018
Central Florida
Background I use a NAS drive on my ETHERNET ring in the house to store and maintain my image files going back to 1983, and I backup those files to another 5TB external drive attached to my tower. Now for the issue....

Yesterday a took some photos at a family event and came back and put the SD card into my tower to copy those photos out to my NAS drive. When I looked at them via File Explorer all of the my photo files are showing "Unhandled Extension Handler File" as the file type. I checked multiple folders in multiple years and they are all showing that file type column. I just checked my external backup and this computer is showing the same in the file type there. I went onto my wife's laptop and checked the NAS files there and they are showing .CR2 .JPG .MOV etc. as proper file types. Last time I uploaded images into the NAS drive was the 31st of October with no issues.

Any idea what's going on with this computer? It's running current Windows 10 Pro 64. It's a Dell XPS8700 with an i5-4440 CPU and 32GB of RAM.

Attachments

• File Explorer Issue_20201109.pdf
    96.5 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
Background I use a NAS drive on my ETHERNET ring in the house to storage and maintain my image files going back to 1983, and I backup those files to another 5TB external drive attached to my tower. Now for the issue....

Yesterday a took some photos at a family event and came back and put the SD card into my tower to copy those photos out to my NAS drive. When I looked at them via File Explorer all of the my photo files are showing "Unhandled Extension Handler File" as the file type. I checked multiple folders in multiple years and they are all showing that file type column. I just checked my external backup and this computer is showing the same in the file type there. I went onto my wife's laptop and checked the NAS files there and they are showing .CR2 .JPG .MOV etc. as proper file types. Last time I uploaded images into the NAS drive was the 31st of October with no issues.

Any idea what's going on with this computer? It's running current Windows 10 Pro 64. It's a Dell XPS8700 with an i5-4440 CPU and 32GB of RAM.
I think your computer might have gotten a substantial update and the files associations might be broken.
Here's a similar thread on Google:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...r-finder/872f1a89-35a5-4c42-87d1-57b0bfec85f9

About half page down you'll see a screenshot about how to change them back.

Upvote 0

jabird56

Explorer
CR Pro
Oct 16, 2018
Central Florida
Yesterday, I had the GEEK SQUAD fix my computer. It seems that a recent Microsoft Update has screwed things up with image related file extensions in catalog displays only, in such apps as File Explorer. The tech stated that they have fixed a couple thousand systems to date, and that Microsoft is working on a fix with an upcoming update with a release date of "PENDING".

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0