Confirmation of Upcoming Product Announcements

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>There is more <a href="http://digicame-info.com/2016/08/post-832.html">confirmation over at Digicame-Info</a> of all the products we’ve said would be announced next week, nothing is a surprise if you’ve been on this site over the last couple of months. We’re still trying to dig for any other products that could appear for Photokina. We think if there is anything else to come, it’s likely for the PowerShot line.</p>
<p>Products to be announced next week.</p>
<ul>
<li><a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-eos-5d-mark-iv-specifications-and-image/">Canon EOS 5D Mark IV</a></li>
<li>Canon EOS 5D Mark IV w/24-105mm f/4L IS II</li>
<li>Canon EOS 5D Mark IV w/24-70mm f/4L IS</li>
<li>Canon BG-E20 Battery Grip</li>
<li>Canon W-E1 Wifi Adaptor</li>
<li>Canon EOS 7D Mark II w/W-E1</li>
<li>Canon EOS 7D Mark II w/18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM</li>
<li>Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II</li>
<li>Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L III</li>
</ul>
<p>As always, thanks for reading Canon Rumors, it means a lot to us. We hope to have a lot more to report over the next 10 days or so.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Chaitanya said:
I hope 5D mk 4 keeps the LP-E6 battery just for the sake of upgraders.

Since the body isn't likely to change, the battery form factor wont either. It will be the newer LP-E6N version however. Same battery, backwards compatible, just higher capacity. My 5DSR uses the newer ones but also works fine with the older. The newer batteries are needed to keep up with the newer, more power hungry processors

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
mclaren777 said:
What are people expecting from this 7D2 firmware?

I would guess the high hope is that some flavor of 4k gets put into firmware. It certainly has the processing power to do it. Probably not 60fps 4k like the DX2 because no CFast, but something along those lines. They leave the 4K out of the 80D and make the 7D2 more attractive to video users.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Dutch_Snapper said:
PureClassA said:
By the way, now that Canon has won this year's EISA Awards for lens (35L Mk II) where's my damn 50L Mk II announcement so they can win with that one next year? LOL I'm getting impatient

I was hoping for the 50mm/1.nooneknows/USM/IS but it seems I do not even have to save up for the 50L MKII either :'(

You wont get a 50L prime with IS. 35L II doesn't have it.

Upvote 0
PureClassA said:
mclaren777 said:
What are people expecting from this 7D2 firmware?

I would guess the high hope is that some flavor of 4k gets put into firmware. It certainly has the processing power to do it. Probably not 60fps 4k like the DX2 because no CFast, but something along those lines. They leave the 4K out of the 80D and make the 7D2 more attractive to video users.

7D2 with 4K would probably be a great "B" cam to a 5D4 with 4K... so Canon likely won't do it. Personally, would love the extended reach with a 7D2 with 4K for some work.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Its actually five items which compares to five at Photokina 2014 for DSLRs.

Canon 7D MKII
BG-E16
EF 400mm f4 DO IS USM
EF 24-105mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM
EF-S 24mm f2.8 STM

Canon 5D MKIV
BG-E20
W-E1 Wi-Fi
EF 24-105mm f4L IS USM II
EF 16-35mm f2.8L USM III

I'm sure were see Power Shot cameras (the G7 X came in 2014) and maybe something in printers.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Whoa -- two new L zooms at the same time? Yahtzee.

I think we were expecting the 24-105L II, but the 16-35 f/2.8L III is not exactly a kitting-grade lens. Thought they'd save that for a separate announcement.

Also, is it a new grip just because of the new battery, or is some 'new hotness' feature of the 5D4 driving that? (backlit buttons or 7D2-style AF adjuster joystick, perhaps?)

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
sunnyVan said:
I have higher expectation for the 24-105ii than the 5dmk4. I'm probably in the minority.

Not so sure. There is far more room to reasonably improve on the original 24-105 than there is on the 5D3, IMHO.

Other than a magical fairy dust sensor improvements people are hoping for (which I don't believe are particularly 'reasonable' or will truly change their photography that much) or the expected feature onslaught of 4K / DPAF / anti-flicker / touchscreen / wifi etc., I don't see the core 5D3 stills photography experience being revolutionized with the 5D4 so much as nicely iteratively improved. It'll be a great camera and it will sell well, but it won't catch the Yeti in total darkness, it won't make subject's eyes bluer, and it won't feel better in the hands. It'll be 'next year's model' (so to speak) and hit the marks it should.

In contrast, the original 24-105L is the classic example of why I tend to avoid 4x+ zooms. Unlike other 4x+ zooms that have done well (the 100-400L II) or decently (70-300L) when compared to more traditional 2-3x zooms, the 24-105 is a full letter grade worse than the various 24-70s out there. There is tremendous room to improve that lens, IMHO, and those who have been pining for it have something to get really excited about.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
3kramd5 said:
ahsanford said:
the 16-35 f/2.8L III is not exactly a kitting-grade lens. Thought they'd save that for a separate announcement.

Also seems a bit wide for a kit lens (which should cover "general purpose").

Clarification: I'm not implying the 16-35 will be kitted. I'm saying all eyes will be on 'Gorgeous' (5D4) and who Gorgeous is bringing to the Oscars (the new kit lens, the 24-105L II).

The 16-35 f/2.8L III, a really important lens for the event/sports/reportage camp and possibly Canon's first UWA zoom with low coma for the astro crowd, will likely get steamrolled in the wake of the 5D4 press. I just think it might make more sense to make a separate splash about it later.

- A

Upvote 0
PureClassA said:
Chaitanya said:
I hope 5D mk 4 keeps the LP-E6 battery just for the sake of upgraders.
The newer batteries are needed to keep up with the newer, more power hungry processors

I have a scramble of LP-6 and LP-6N (5D3 and 7D2 bodies, grips). There's negligible difference in capacity. Didn't I read ...somewhere? (OK, I just disqualified myself) that the new-model battery might be more compliant with fire-safety regs?

Upvote 0
I know i'm in the minority here but i'm much more excited for the lens announcements.

I have really high hopes for the 24-105 II. Better IQ, less distortion, better bokeh, better starburst, less lens creep. The original is a highly versatile lens but it can be improved on in pretty much every category.

The 16-35 III i'm hoping for a canon lens that finally has low coma. I gave up and got the tamron 15-30 which is spectacular in IQ, but its size and lack of filters are a big drawback over canon lenses.

These are two lenses that I can easily see myself selling off existing lenses for, which will be the first time i've done that.

Upvote 0