Contest Announcement!

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
1,382
0
I certainly entered more than my fair share of photos, but none of them anywhere near the standard of those ones (underwater and astro both got the least amount of entries, takes a fair bit of specialised equipment although I still think I had a few in each).
Not sure if I entered any shots in more than 1 category, it didn't say it wasn't allowed though.

Love all the shots so far, keep them coming CR-guy...
 
P

pugcanon

Guest
Finalists!: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php/board,42.0.html :)
 
G

g2

Guest
My hearty congratulations to the finalists, some very fine images there. Well done guys.
 
D

D_Rochat

Guest
Has the contest ended? There are still a few categories left and it's been three days since we saw new finalists. Just curious as to what's going on and if I've missed something.
 

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
1,382
0
Note the order in which he's announced the finalists:
Astrophotography, 13 pages of entries; Underwater, 16 pages of entries were the first two, and so on.
And the 5 that are left?
Street, 75 pages; B+W, 82 pages; Wildlife, 109 pages; People, 134 pages; Landscape, 171 pages (coincidentally, almost all categories I didn't bother with, too much competition)

There's more entries in Landscape than in Astro, U/Water, C/Lighting, Macro, and Abstract all together (presuming they're all valid entries, of course).

I think there's going to be a fair gap until we see the last of these finalists, it's an absolutely massive undertaking...
 
R

Ryusui

Guest
chardinej said:
Did I miss the other category finalists??? There still seem to be a few to be announced.
dr croubie said:
Note the order in which he's announced the finalists:
Astrophotography, 13 pages of entries; Underwater, 16 pages of entries were the first two, and so on.
And the 5 that are left?
Street, 75 pages; B+W, 82 pages; Wildlife, 109 pages; People, 134 pages; Landscape, 171 pages (coincidentally, almost all categories I didn't bother with, too much competition)

There's more entries in Landscape than in Astro, U/Water, C/Lighting, Macro, and Abstract all together (presuming they're all valid entries, of course).

I think there's going to be a fair gap until we see the last of these finalists, it's an absolutely massive undertaking...
 
M

Minnesota Nice

Guest
Bummed that I missed out, that fisheye had my name all over it!
 

gmrza

EOS RP
Jan 21, 2011
521
1
dr croubie said:
I think there's going to be a fair gap until we see the last of these finalists, it's an absolutely massive undertaking...
I wonder if CRGuy underestimated the magnitude of the undertaking when he started out? :eek:
 
D

D_Rochat

Guest
I believe he already mentioned that he didn't expect the contest to take off like it did. When you start giving away L series glass, the people will come. I wonder if and when he plans on doing something like this again.... I look forward to the upcoming finalists.
 

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Mar 25, 2011
16,535
1,487
gmrza said:
dr croubie said:
I think there's going to be a fair gap until we see the last of these finalists, it's an absolutely massive undertaking...
I wonder if CRGuy underestimated the magnitude of the undertaking when he started out? :eek:
I think thats a understatement, a truly monumental job, and then the whining of those who say theirs was better.

He certainly has earned any boost in referral income gained by the extra traffic to the site.
 
D

DCMoney

Guest
Mt Spokane Photography said:
gmrza said:
dr croubie said:
I think there's going to be a fair gap until we see the last of these finalists, it's an absolutely massive undertaking...
I wonder if CRGuy underestimated the magnitude of the undertaking when he started out? :eek:
I think thats a understatement, a truly monumental job, and then the whining of those who say theirs was better.

He certainly has earned any boost in referral income gained by the extra traffic to the site.
Not going to lie it got me to sign up, was just a browser till this contest got going.
 

Canon Rumors Guy

EOS-1D X Mark III
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
8,631
1,344
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I'm back to judging tomorrow, there has been a big thing going on with my other venture Lens Rentals Canada. I don't think I've slept in 72 hours as things get restructured and negotiated.

I may sleep tonight. :)

Thanks for the patience, kind words and criticisms.


cr
 

Mark1

EOS M50
Oct 4, 2011
49
0
Christchruch, New Zealand
Personally even if I dont get a picture in the top ten I'll have still enjoyed the buzz of 'maybe'.

Like a lot of people I take lots of pictures which very few other people get to see let alone judge. Also having looked through the remaining categories I honestly can't see how one could pull out the best ten. The level is so consistently high throughout. There are some killer shots there which wont make the top ten for sure.

Thanks CR for the opportunity and thrill of the chase!
 
O

onkel_wart

Guest
Mark1 said:
Personally even if I dont get a picture in the top ten I'll have still enjoyed the buzz of 'maybe'.

Like a lot of people I take lots of pictures which very few other people get to see let alone judge. Also having looked through the remaining categories I honestly can't see how one could pull out the best ten. The level is so consistently high throughout. There are some killer shots there which wont make the top ten for sure.

Thanks CR for the opportunity and thrill of the chase!
very true.
I know I don't stand a chance having seen the finalists. But one needs to start some day...
great event.
thanks for all the work
 

pakosouthpark

EOS RP
Oct 5, 2011
258
0
these finalists pictures are indeed very good, can't wait for the people and landscape categories! - its gonna be a massive headache to decide which ones to choose
 
U

unruled

Guest
when are the other categories being announced? Been an odd silence lately
 
J

jnachtigal

Guest
I'll repeat what others have said: I'm honored that my shot made it among the finalists, what an awesome group of photos! Even if I don't make it to the next phase, I've thoroughly enjoyed the contest. And my favorite part is seeing these amazing shots.

I will say one thing, I'm not thrilled at the 700 pixel size limit. I kind of hate seeing some of these photos so small (especially my own), because I feel the details are lost. In this competition, there is certainly an advantage to simple shots, with a clear/large subject.
 

DJL329

EOS R5
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2010
596
54
www.flickr.com
unruled said:
when are the other categories being announced? Been an odd silence lately
I guess you missed this from yesterday (just 4 posts above yours):

Canon Rumors said:
I'm back to judging tomorrow, there has been a big thing going on with my other venture Lens Rentals Canada. I don't think I've slept in 72 hours as things get restructured and negotiated.

I may sleep tonight. :)

Thanks for the patience, kind words and criticisms.


cr