Copyright question as an employee (not staff photographer)

Jul 28, 2015
Refurb7 said:
Work done as an employee is the employer's. The situation can get complicated, but this one doesn't sound complicated.

But how does that affect copyright (which was the original question)?
As I understand it in US, if an employee develops a patentable product developed while in employment the patent sometimes rests with the employee, sometimes not depending on terms of contract and what the employee's primary role in the company is. I can see the same thing here.

Without knowing the details of this particular case, the company can ask 'we want a picture that shows we are a happy bunch to work with so please design and shoot a photo session' or they could ask 'can you take a picture of this bunch of people to show what a wonderful group we are'. They are different levels of input that could swing it either way.

Upvote 0
Like the others here, I am not a lawyer nor do I represent the OP.
In general, the individual that composes and/or takes picture is the owner of copyright. The initial questions you're concerned w/ are: A) Was this a work for hire in that both parties agreed to certain terms and both parties signed that agreement. This isn't likely the case based on what the OP stated. B) Was this work created in the general scope of ones employment? If the OP worked at a company whose purpose is creating photographic imagery-LifeTouch, for example- as an hourly employee under the companies direction, then that is viewed as part of their scope of work-purpose of employment- and said employee wouldn't own copyright. Again, this is not the circumstance. C) The next question-which could have actually been asked first-is whether the employee signed an intellectual property agreement which gives the company ownership of all work or ideas in relation to the job performed. If B or C don't apply, a company likely don't own the copyright solely based on the fact it was created during work hours or may contain certain content . Other copyright usage law would dictate how the owner uses content.
I agree w/other members that this will be problematic if pursued and is it really that important to you? Again, it was stated that any agreement should have been stated in the beginning. That advice is "gold". If a photographer has an interest in later usage of images, it's best to educate themselves beforehand on what is involved. Otherwise, it's better to refrain from using your talents.

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
Thinking a bit more about this, I want to add a clarification (stipulating that solid legal advice is always better than internet legal advice).

The OP has raised the issue of copyright. That seems to imply that he intends to re-sell or otherwise profit from the work he did for his employer. I don't see any way that that will end well for him if that is his intent.

That said, though, if what the OP really wants to know is if he can show his work as examples of the kind of work he is capable of, I would modify my advice.

I've spent all my career working in journalism, public information and public relations. It is common and accepted practice for creatives (writers, photographers, editors, artists, etc.) to show prospective employers or customers samples of the work they have done for other employers or clients.

Having interviewed and hired a great many people over the years, I have always asked to see examples of their work and they always had examples to show. In fact, in the old days, it was common for reporters and photographers to collect a dozen or so "tear sheets" of their best work to save for later use in their portfolios. I've never heard of a publisher ever objecting to this.

If the OP is simply wanting to be able to show samples of his work to prospective employers or clients, I can't imagine anyone objecting. Although, if he wants to post the images on a personal portfolio website, I would recommend getting permission of his employers since that could constitute "publishing" which is different than simply including examples with your resume.

If he intends to profit from the images, that is an entirely different matter and, as other have pointed out, frankly isn't worth the hassle and damage to his reputation, regardless of any legal rights.
+1 The OP needs to explain 'why' the concern over copyright ownership. For any work the OP did that was externally published by the company simple tear sheets and/or actual copies of brochures, annual reports, etc. are expected examples of prior work done. In addition to copyright, to re-sell such work would also require model releases/property releases which likely the OP does not have (if they exist the company would have them). If everything the OP did was strictly for internal company use it would be considered proprietary. Then the OP would have to negotiate some agreement to even show as part of his portfolio.

Again, not legal advice... just opinion.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
unfocused said:
LDS said:
kaptainkatsu said:
all work done with 100% my kit.

Unluckily, that usually has little or no value.

Plus there is this additional wrinkle:
kaptainkatsu said:
They have never compensated me beyond my normal pay...and have paid for all my equipment.
Maybe - if you are NOT satisfied with the outcome of the lawyer/company conversation about the copyright - you will suffer a "damage" in your equipment and the company will have to provide you everything necessary for a future photo assignment...

Upvote 0
Mikehit said:
Refurb7 said:
Work done as an employee is the employer's. The situation can get complicated, but this one doesn't sound complicated.

But how does that affect copyright (which was the original question)?
As I understand it in US, if an employee develops a patentable product developed while in employment the patent sometimes rests with the employee, sometimes not depending on terms of contract and what the employee's primary role in the company is. I can see the same thing here.

Without knowing the details of this particular case, the company can ask 'we want a picture that shows we are a happy bunch to work with so please design and shoot a photo session' or they could ask 'can you take a picture of this bunch of people to show what a wonderful group we are'. They are different levels of input that could swing it either way.

My answer addresses copyright. If the work is done as an employee, then the work belongs to the employer. That means they own the copyright.

I think the OP has given sufficient information to answer the question. The OP writes, "I have taken and edited the photos/videos on company time." Yes, a contract could have change the situation, but the OP has no contract whereby the copyright would be his. He would own the copyright if he were an independent contractor, but he seems to be an employee on the payroll, so, not an independent contractor.

Upvote 0
Orangutan said:
kaptainkatsu said:
Talk to a lawyer -- never take legal advice from people on the Internet.

- That is the best advise.

- My personal view is your company will own all the right to the photos
- You were using equipment paid by them
- You were editing photos during work hours (w2)
- Check your work contract. There (might) be words in there that suggest, anything that you created, invent, produce is property of the company

just my 0.02 again. Go find professional

Upvote 0