Cosina will announce a NOKTON 50mm F1 Aspherical for the RF mount

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Cosina has recently been teasing new prime lenses for various mirrorless mounts, including Canon’s RF mount. The new lenses from Cosina will have electrical contacts for added functionality with your RF camera. For Canon shooters, Cosina will announce a Nokton 50mm f/1. Cosina lenses have been very popular with the rangefinder community, as Nokton prime

See full article...

Aug 26, 2015
You can already see how the M-mount version looks, it's been out for over a year, on FredMiranda Forums there are comparisons against the Noctilux, too. Not the same of course, but it stacks up well.
And by being a native RF-mount lens it will not have the 0.9m close focus limit of the rangefinder version, it will focus down to 0.45m with floating elements, so close-up performance should be respectable.
I don't think it is worth comparing it against any AF lens, each have their own uses, the RF 28-70mm f/2 is the only AF lens I currently use as I quite enjoy small vintage primes. (I have re-purchased the 800mm f/11 as well, will probably get a few more),

Upvote 0
I'm not criticizing the lens. Just wondering if it would bring me something extra. I'd get the 1 over the 1.2 but sacrifice AF. I also have a few vintage lenses to play with, but they aren't $1800.
Mostly size advantage (smaller and lighter) than the enormous Canon 50mm f1.2L. Sharpness etc is likely going to be better on the Canon though.

Upvote 0
Much smaller, lighter and f/1 is not the same as f/1.2
Still costs many times less than any Leica Noctilux it's competing against, so it doesn't really matter.
f-number and compliant to the front element's physical dimension of a f/1.0

How is the t-number, rendition, resolution and resolving power approximating, equal to or surpassing Canon/Nikon/Leica?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
How is the t-number, rendition, resolution and resolving power approximating, equal to or surpassing Canon/Nikon/Leica?
I said different, could be preferable to some who are looking at images instead of going through spec sheets.
From some earlier samples I can see this lens having more chromatic aberration, but a different look and it is quite sharp for an f/1.0 lens.
Try to comprehend what's written.

Upvote 0
I said different, could be preferable to some who are looking at images instead of going through spec sheets.
From some earlier samples I can see this lens having more chromatic aberration, but a different look and it is quite sharp for an f/1.0 lens.
Try to comprehend what's written.
I am asking further points of interest that you did not mention and may be of weighted consideration by others.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
That's quite a lot considering the RF 50 1.2 costs 2099 $.
Honestly, who would buy the Cosina for $1800 whén, for $300 more, you could get one of the best AF (!) lenses on the market?
And the F 0,2 difference, provided real, won't be a sufficient reason.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Honestly, who would buy the Cosina for $1800 whén, for $300 more, you could get one of the best AF (!) lenses on the market?
And the F 0,2 difference, provided real, won't be a sufficient reason.
I think there are use cases for it but I doubt it would outsell a lens that sells for $300 more.

The one with the AF on the most advanced AF body to date will be keen purchase who are looking to save time and improve quality of life.

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
How many of the folks who lust after the old EF 1.0 (and are willing to pay crazy prices for it) will find this an attractive offering?

Does seem cool. Probably not for me though. But I think its a lens chosen to make a splash - rather than offering a 20mm f/whatever or something, they pick something on the extreme niche side of what they do to enter the RF market. Hopefully they'll port over their other lenses over time. And hopefully AF licensing will happen soon!

-Brian

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Always good to see that others can make optics, too.
The price will be the important factor, Samantha here Pointer out.

How many of the folks who lust after the old EF 1.0 (and are willing to pay crazy prices for it) will find this an attractive offering? …
I suppose, those into the EF are more collectors, wanting exactly that EF lens.

The Cosina will be for those interested in modern optics and liking its IQ output.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
How many of the folks who lust after the old EF 1.0 (and are willing to pay crazy prices for it) will find this an attractive offering?

Does seem cool. Probably not for me though. But I think its a lens chosen to make a splash - rather than offering a 20mm f/whatever or something, they pick something on the extreme niche side of what they do to enter the RF market. Hopefully they'll port over their other lenses over time. And hopefully AF licensing will happen soon!

-Brian
Well, the situation is a bit different.
The EF 1,0/50mm is already a collector's item, like the Nikkor aspherical F 1,2/58. And out of " misericordia christiana", I should not even mention the Leica M Noctilux 1,2/50, the world's first series-produced photo aspherical ($25000+).
Still a high price for a Cosina, compared to the RF 1,2/50...

Upvote 0