CPS Europe is changing to a paid service

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
I have not received this email yet (Netherlands) Not a favorable development. I myself have a free CPS gold membership. Prices for cameras and lenses (even the EF) have only gotten higher in recent years. Incidentally, you see that the occasions are therefore offered for sale for the original new price. I myself have decided not to purchase Canon products in the coming years. What I have works fine and gives good image quality results. I don't know if the prices will also drop, but it seems that I can wait a long time for that. In the meantime, I will enjoy shooting.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Welcome to the club, Europe. Canon USA has charged for CPS memberships offering meaningful benefits for many years. The base level 'silver' membership is free, but that only gets you a CPS ID card, a 'hotline' and 3-5 day service turnaround. The gold and platinum levels that offer repair discounts, faster turnaround, service loaners and equipment evaluation loans cost $100 / $300 per year, respectively.

Upvote 0
Aug 28, 2014
Welcome to the club, Europe. Canon USA has charged for CPS memberships offering meaningful benefits for many years. The base level 'silver' membership is free, but that only gets you a CPS ID card, a 'hotline' and 3-5 day service turnaround. The gold and platinum levels that offer repair discounts, faster turnaround, service loaners and equipment evaluation loans cost $100 / $300 per year, respectively.
Apparently, even the Silver membership will cost EUR 100, Gold will be EUR 200, and Platinum EUR 350 plus VAT. And worst of all, members must be a registered business entity, so unlike now, it's not open to hobbyists anymore even if they are willing to pay. Instead, they 'offer' to join the Canon Club with such meaningful benefits as 'join the community', 'pursue your passion' or 'learn from the best'. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Apparently, even the Silver membership will cost EUR 100, Gold will be EUR 200, and Platinum EUR 350 plus VAT.
According to the graphic, ALL memberships will offer repair discounts and free shipping (the Canon USA Sliver level offers neither).

And worst of all, members must be a registered business entity, so unlike now, it's not open to hobbyists anymore even if they are willing to pay.
CPS has always been for 'imaging professionals' (professional and semi-professional photographers, full time photographers in the US). It has never been intended for hobbyists even though they let that slide in most geographies. For example, Canon USA eligibility states, "Membership is available only to those individuals (self-employed or employed by a professional imaging business), who play a direct role in the creation of moving or still images for third parties on a full-time basis and are legal residents of the 50 United States or the District of Columbia." AFAIK, they don't actually verify that information so it's possible to sign up even if you don't meet the requirements (except the resident of the US part, it's easy to only accept credit cards issued to a US address).

Upvote 0
According to the graphic, ALL memberships will offer repair discounts and free shipping (the Canon USA Sliver level offers neither).

CPS has always been for 'imaging professionals' (professional and semi-professional photographers, full time photographers in the US). It has never been intended for hobbyists even though they let that slide in most geographies. For example, Canon USA eligibility states, "Membership is available only to those individuals (self-employed or employed by a professional imaging business), who play a direct role in the creation of moving or still images for third parties on a full-time basis and are legal residents of the 50 United States or the District of Columbia." AFAIK, they don't actually verify that information so it's possible to sign up even if you don't meet the requirements (except the resident of the US part, it's easy to only accept credit cards issued to a US address).
up to now, despite its name, CPS membership in Europe had no such professional requirements. It was open to anyone over 18. From the terms and conditions:

1.2 CPS Membership is available within the CPS Participating Countries for the customers over the age of 18, who wish to register themselves as CPS members.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
up to now, despite its name, CPS membership in Europe had no such professional requirements. It was open to anyone over 18. From the terms and conditions:

1.2 CPS Membership is available within the CPS Participating Countries for the customers over the age of 18, who wish to register themselves as CPS members.

Interesting, thanks. Seems like Canon EU is aligning with Canon USA – paid memberships intended for professional photographers.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I received such an e-mail from Canon CPS Germany/Europe as well.
They are going to change to a paid service - like it is already in Northern America and other regions. So be it.
Costs will be 100€/200€/350€ (ex. VAT) for silver/gold/platinum membership. This will be the "free" maintenance allowance.
More details, see here in German.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
... worst of all, members must be a registered business entity, so unlike now, it's not open to hobbyists anymore even if they are willing to pay...
My e-mail tells me this, translated from German:
the e-mail said:
All CPS members who are not professionals or businesses, or who don't need the professional service, can become members of the exclusive Canon Club. This new community for creatives like you offers support, inspiration, and many other benefits.
The bold part leaves place for interpretation and for those who are not professionals but still need/want the professional service.
We'll see as soon as the registration procedure gets more detailed.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
My e-mail tells me this, translated from German:

The bold part leaves place for interpretation and for those who are not professionals but still need/want the professional service.
We'll see as soon as the registration procedure gets more detailed.
"This new community for creatives like you offers support, inspiration, and many other benefits." = pure BS.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
::1
Canon is continuing to support its customers in the way to which we have now become accustomed by taking it to a new level.

View attachment 207738View attachment 207739
Yeah, I also got this one yesterday, and I'm mad as hell about it.
This won't go down smooth... :( I'm fuming!

I have 3 bodies and more lenses than I can stuff in a well sized camera bag, and a EL-1.

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
Apparently, even the Silver membership will cost EUR 100, Gold will be EUR 200, and Platinum EUR 350 plus VAT.

Thank you for this information.
I still haven't received an email with the change, and impact, of the CPS membership.
Although I have quite a few Canon photo equipment, I am considering not continuing my membership. I already have other memberships and with inflation everything just gets more and more. Choices.

Upvote 0
I have not received this email yet (Netherlands) Not a favorable development. I myself have a free CPS gold membership.
I've received it as well in DK. I've been eyeing the CPS USA situation, so I can't say I'm surprised. I have Platinum level membership (As @Viggo probably would say: "for mye penger og for lite vett"), but as far as I know, I haven't received any particular benefits from this. OK, maybe free shipping to/from the service center in Göteborg of the lens+body that I recently had serviced.

So for me there's in reality neither a loss nor a gain in going to the paid CPS scheme, so I'm not going to bite. Not sure about joining the "Canon Club" either.

• Haha
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I have had Platinum membership for many years. Last week, I noticed the rubber ring around the built in eye-cup of my R7 had perished after only 7 months so I wrote to CPS asking if they would send me a new rubber ring and I would replace it - the item must cost just a few pennies. 1st CPS reply, eye-cups are accessories and not covered by warranty. We don't stock them, try this supplier. Me: the eye cup is built-in on the R7 and is not an accessory. 2nd reply; send in the camera to us, you must provide your own insurance. Me: it will cost both of us far more than you sending me the rubber ring, so just arrange for one to be sent to me to fit. 3rd reply: a letter with the ring in it.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0