Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p><strong>Part 1: EOS

</strong><strong><span style="font-weight: normal;">A lot of product announcements for the DSLR world, popular desired products still missing.</span></strong></p>
<p><strong><span style="font-weight: normal;">*NOTE* </span><span style="font-weight: normal;">These opinions are loose and based the specifications of the products and initial impressions. I will delve deeper next week.</span></strong></p>
<p><strong>EOS 60D

<span style="font-weight: normal;">As with most prosumer DSLR announcements from Canon, it has been treated rather harshly. I don’t find it all that exciting, but I’m sure they’re going to sell a lot of them.</span></strong></p>
<p><strong>Why I like it:</strong></p>
<p><strong> </strong></p>
<p><strong></p>
<ul>
<li><span style="font-weight: normal;">Price. At $1099USD at launch, this camera will quickly fall below $1000USD. From what I’ve heard, the camera feels quite nice in your hands and is a big upgrade to the Rebel in that regard.</span></li>
<li><span style="font-weight: normal;">Articulating screen, I don’t think it’s a deal breaker, but I know there are certain types of photography that will benefit from it.</span></li>
<li><span style="font-weight: normal;">Weight. There’s a big backlash that the 60D didn’t follow the path of the 50D and retain the metal body. I don’t think that will affect sales of the camera all that much. Lots of people love the weight of the Rebel, but don’t like the ergonomics. The 60D may fit for those people. If you want a metal camera, get the 7D!</span></li>
</ul>
<p></strong></p>
<p><strong>Why I don’t like it</strong></p>
<p><strong> </strong></p>
<p><strong></p>
<ul>
<li><span style="font-weight: normal;">So far it’s missing microadjustment. That shouldn’t be a cost increasing feature. Put it in.</span></li>
<li><span style="font-weight: normal;">Old AF technology. It doesn’t need to be as good as the 7D, but something improved over the 50D would be welcomed.</span></li>
<li><span style="font-weight: normal;">It’s kind of boring, there’s not much new in the camera to make people excited.</span></li>
</ul>
<p></strong></p>
<p><strong>EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS

<span style="font-weight: normal;">This seems like a very calculated addition to the lens lineup. I wasn’t a fan of the last 70-300, I always felt it cost too much.</span></strong></p>
<p>This isn’t a cheap lens from the pricing I’ve seen ($1500USD), yet it’s being marketed as an “L” lens newer photographers should look at first.</p>
<p>Optically; it better kick butt for the money.<strong> </strong></p>
<p><strong>EF 8-15 f/4L Fisheye

<span style="font-weight: normal;">Wow! </span></strong>What a unique and brilliant idea. One fisheye to work with the entire EOS line. No, it’s not cheap ($1400USD), but for the folks that want a fisheye and have various crop factors in their bag, this is a winner.</p>
<p>I cannot wait to try it out.</p>
<p><strong>EF 300 f/2.8L IS II & EF 400 f/2.8L IIS II

<span style="font-weight: normal;">Neither of these lenses NEEDED to be replaced, but it cannot hurt to continue to evolve your flagship products.</span></strong></p>
<p>I’m sure they will continue the tradition of Canon’s big white lenses being the stuff of legends.</p>
<p><strong>What’s missing from the EOS announcements?

<span style="font-weight: normal;">If I asked the readers at Canon Rumors what they WANTED to see, there are a few things that keep coming up.</span></strong></p>
<p><strong>EF 24-70 f/2.8L IS

<span style="font-weight: normal;">I don’t need to say anything about such a lens, it’s already been mentioned.</span> </strong></p>
<p><strong>5D Mark III / 3D

<span style="font-weight: normal;">A full frame camera with at least the 7D autofocus system and all the bells and whistles in a smaller package than the 1D series camera. Don’t increase the megapixel count, just take the 5D Mark II to the next level.</span></strong></p>
<p><strong>New Cheaper Primes

<span style="font-weight: normal;">Lots of people desire a 35 f/1.8 or a new 50 f/1.4.</span> </strong></p>
<p><strong>100-400 Replacement

<span style="font-weight: normal;">For some people, a version II of the current 100-400. For others, copy Nikon’s legendary 200-400 f/4 and add it to the lineup.</span></strong></p>
<p><strong>Is there more coming before Photokina?

<span style="font-weight: normal;">The million dollar question to be sure. I received an email today saying Canon will announce another camera body before Photokina, and not a 1Ds Mark IV. </span></strong>I currently have no solid information as to whether that will happen or not.</p>
<p>Monday will be the deadline!</p>
<p><strong>Photokina

<span style="font-weight: normal;">I’ll be in Cologne attending Photokina next Tuesday. Check the site throughout the day as I will be constantly updating anything relevant to Canon.</span></strong></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

J

Justin

Nailed what's missing? Yeah well lots of things are missing or are expected that don't come. 5D3 isn't expected. 100-400 isn't expected. 24-70 and new primes would be nice, but those rumors continue to persist for years. 1Ds4 was expected and now it looks like it is not coming. Super teles were due for upgrades but are priced beyond what mortals can pay. 8-15 is bizzaro but cool. 70-300 is a lens that nobody really needs, but will find a market.

Canon keeps us all guessing: not many obvious announcements in the dslr space.

Obvious for me is to release the 1Ds4 and the 24-70 2.8L IS, 14-24 2.8, and 35 1.8 EF-S followed by a 35 1.2L and a 85 1.4L IS. Then release a 3D or 5D3 early next year. None of this seems like it is going to happen any time soon.

scalesusa said:
I think that CR guy nailed it.

Upvote 0
davidonformosa said:
Could the new camera body be the 1000D replacement? It is unlikely to be anything revolutionary. Just a 550D minus a few features. Probably 12MP sensor and 720p video.

I am hoping this might be launched with cheaper 30-35mm prime lens. That would be a lot more interesting than the camera itself.
A 2000D? Yes, I think so... there is nothing in the lineup to compete with Nikon's D3100 at the moment...

Upvote 0
F

Freeze_XJ

CameraAddict said:
There is also nothing to compete with the Nikon D7000....
We call it 7D ...

I expect a cheapy 2kD, 18 whopping megapixels, and nothing interesting. Just something to sell cheap kitlenses with, and hope you can draw more folks into DSLR.
With the 5D2 still going strong, i don't expect a '3' before next fall. 1Ds4 would be great, but they still say it won't come (i'm keeping my fingers crossed though, even when i can't pay one). A new flash would be nice as well, preferably 580++

Upvote 0
"EOS 60D

As with most prosumer DSLR announcements from Canon, it has been treated rather harshly. I don’t find it all that exciting, but I’m sure they’re going to sell a lot of them."

Not at the price that they are currently advertising, it's the same as the D7000, which is truely a cut above. In fact, the latter is everything that people hoped the 60D would be. Canon shot themselves in the foot when they didn't put the full professional 45 pt AF system from the 1D series in the 7D. This has dictated the retention of the old 9 pt AF system in the 60D for product differentiation reasons. Combined with dropping the metal body, this has produced a camera that looks distinctly anaemic next to the main competition and have no doubt that this is a very important price point.

Canon need to start taking the initiative with new releases, not simply copying what Nikon is producing. There is a fundamental difference in philosophies emerging here: Nikon offer the best camera they can make for a given price; Canon offer the least that they possibly can and still sell the camera!

Upvote 0
D

dthomasla

Freeze_XJ said:
CameraAddict said:
There is also nothing to compete with the Nikon D7000....
...With the 5D2 still going strong, i don't expect a '3' before next fall. 1Ds4 would be great, but they still say it won't come

:( Is there a consensus that the 5D3 won't come earlier than the Fall of 2011 ? I'm ready to purchase a 5D2 and I would do it (after Photokina) if I could be sure there was another year in its product cycle. But with the occasional rumor that it might come out in early 2011.... I'm awfully tempted to wait. Yes, I can wait 3-5 mos, but not 12 mos.

How many people out there think that the odds for a new 5DMk3 in early 2011 are high enough to justify waiting? Should I wait until early 2011 or buy the 5DMk2 now ??

Upvote 0
E

Edwin Herdman

scalesusa said:
I think that CR guy nailed it.
Agreed. He even mentioned the Nikon 200-400! I feel like he's right inside my head.

Excellent wrapup of recent developments and user wishes I think.

dilbert said:
Buy what you need.

If you needed the 5Dmk2 then you would have bought it. Since you don't appear to need it then you haven't bought it.
Normally I would agree, but here's the rub:

The 5D II does high ISOs better than the lower tier cameras. But the 7D seems to have a much more sports-friendly autofocus system (based on reports from people and the basic specs - I don't know about the comparative sizes of the sensors, which can make a big difference regardless of the number of AF points). It also has a reasonably large buffer for continuous shooting.

The systems which do high ISO and sports to a professional's specification seem to be the bodies positioned in the lineup substantially above, and which are more expensive than, the 5D - like the 1D Mark III and Mark IV.

And paying $2500 for what is a perfectly reasonable but increasingly dated platform doesn't necessarily make sense in terms of an investment - I haven't seen Canon bodies drop in price too dramatically but a new model would easily supplant the old one if released at the same price point.

On the video front, the 5D is okay but people might be tempted to get a cheaper camera now in view of upgrading to the Mark III.

You're absolutely right though, there's no guarantee the 5D Mark III is coming soon if ever. I don't see them changing the line too far from where it is now - maybe they will bump up the specs and price a bit and still call it a 5D series camera; 3D sounds like they'd want to reserve it to go the stereo pictures route like everyone else - but I'm getting on a tangent now.

Upvote 0
C

caoran9238

Nikon is overtaking Canon

:'( :mad:

It's disappointing. Canon 60D isn't at the same level as 50D. The quality is worth. Smaller, cheaper body, and loss of microadjustment puts this camera in consumer level. Canon is forcing people who want pro/semipro camera to upgrade to the more expensive 7D. Meanwhile, Nikon 3100D has almost the same function as Canon 550D, but $200 cheaper. Nikon 7000D announced today will sell for $1500 with 18-105mm, again $200 cheaper 7D.

It's just embarrassing...

Upvote 0
E

Engr Denz

May I ask why nobody thinks it is the 7D MKII that is coming? what is the product cycle of 7D?

with regards of 60D and G12, I will chose D7000 and P7000 because of video AF, weather sealing, Mag. body, and AF micro lens adjustment of D7000 and longer reach and remote control at P7000.

If and only if the 60D has AF micro lens adjustment and price at $899 I probably chose it than D7000.

Nikon rocks his time, while Canon sucks...

by the way I'm a canon user (7D) but I'm tempted to jump ship because I think there is a better future on the other ship. I wonder what would be the next Nikon FF?

Upvote 0

J

Jul 21, 2010
Engr Denz said:
May I ask why nobody thinks it is the 7D MKII that is coming? what is the product cycle of 7D?

Because the 7D will certainly last more than 1 year. The 7D is still a top of the line APS camera and newer models in the lesser lines won't really change that. The specs are still current and impressive today, 1 year later.

Rebels live for 1 year as the current model but stay in the catalog for about 2 years more. xxD cameras stay current for about 18 months--though how long Canon sells the older model at the same time varies. Full frame cameras stay current for about 3-4 years and clearly replace the previous model of their line. (1D has kind of a weird age history.)

The 7D Mk 1 will probably only start seeming outdated about the time we're rumormongering the 70D, which is quite a ways off as the 60D is still brand spanking new. I'd expect the 7D's cycle to be between the xxD and the full frame xD cameras, for about 3 years.

Upvote 0
Edwin Herdman said:
You're absolutely right though, there's no guarantee the 5D Mark III is coming soon if ever. I don't see them changing the line too far from where it is now - maybe they will bump up the specs and price a bit and still call it a 5D series camera

How would you feel if the 5D MkIII turned out to be a FF 60D. The way Canon has been acting lately, it could happen.

Upvote 0
Re: Nikon is overtaking Canon

caoran9238 said:
:'( :mad: Canon is forcing people who want pro/semipro camera to upgrade to the more expensive 7D. Meanwhile ...

It's just embarrassing...

Canon is forcing people to upgrade to a Nikon D7000.

Canon is making many poor choices in the products that they develop. Making a 70-300 L that no-one asked for, but not making a 50 f1.4, that has needed replacement for a long time, that people have been wanting for.

I've used Canon for a long time, and have three bodies. But I'm switching to Nikon. As good as the D7000 is, I can hardly wait to see the D300s replacement and the D700 replacement. This year Nikon has been releasing some awesome lenses, like the 24 f1.4 and the NEW 35 f1.4, plus the supersharp 16-35 f4. Lenses I need, but Canon just keeps on making expensive Big Whites that I rarely use (I've rented 400mm lenses three time in the last 5 years).

Always use the right tool for the job, and Canon has stopped being the right tool. YMMV

Upvote 0
E

Edwin Herdman

c.d.embrey said:
Edwin Herdman said:
You're absolutely right though, there's no guarantee the 5D Mark III is coming soon if ever. I don't see them changing the line too far from where it is now - maybe they will bump up the specs and price a bit and still call it a 5D series camera

How would you feel if the 5D MkIII turned out to be a FF 60D. The way Canon has been acting lately, it could happen.
I hear you there. But then I suppose they would need something better to fill the gap an under-specced 5D Mark III would create. Who knows...maybe they're considering just that. I have to admit that I'd be interested in a split 5D Mark III line, if one of the cameras comes in under $2500 and is still full-frame. That said, there's a lot more sense in splitting the lower lines by price and features than doing the same at prices above the 7D's $1400 or so. People can drop $800-$1000 on a camera but professionals don't want to be messed around with - they want the best camera regardless of the price point, and $2500 strikes me as definitely an elevated pricing group.

Upvote 0
E

Engr Denz

J said:
Engr Denz said:

Because the 7D will certainly last more than 1 year. The 7D is still a top of the line APS camera and newer models in the lesser lines won't really change that. The specs are still current and impressive today, 1 year later.

Rebels live for 1 year as the current model but stay in the catalog for about 2 years more. xxD cameras stay current for about 18 months--though how long Canon sells the older model at the same time varies. Full frame cameras stay current for about 3-4 years and clearly replace the previous model of their line. (1D has kind of a weird age history.)

The 7D Mk 1 will probably only start seeming outdated about the time we're rumormongering the 70D, which is quite a ways off as the 60D is still brand spanking new. I'd expect the 7D's cycle to be between the xxD and the full frame xD cameras, for about 3 years.

if I'm not mistaken, 40D and 50D is exactly 1 year, while 50D and 60D is 2 years. they can randomly release a camera base on needs I think. 7D is still top of the line but with D7000 price at $1200 most rebel users may be tempted to switch. D90 beats 550D but nikon updated it to show to their users that their engineers is doing their home work.

Upvote 0
O

oalali

Canon Rumors said:
<p><strong>Why I don’t like it</strong></p>

<li><span style=\"font-weight: normal;\">Old AF technology. It doesn’t need to be as good as the 7D, but something improved over the 50D would be welcomed.</span></li>

I totally diagree. It needs to be same if not better than the 7D. the D7000 have a much better focusing system that the 60d (+ many other extra features) and yet it manges to only be a $100 more expensive.

Canon Should stop waisting their R&D money on things like 100MP sensors and sensors 40 times the size of Full Frame. Seriously, Who needs that ? NASA? Even they decided to go Nikon! :mad:

Canon Rumors said:
<span style=\"font-weight: normal;\">This seems like a very calculated addition to the lens lineup. I wasn’t a fan of the last 70-300, I always felt it cost too much.</span></strong></p>

<p>This isn’t a cheap lens from the pricing I’ve seen ($1500USD), yet it’s being marketed as an “L” lens newer photographers should look at first.</p>
<p>Optically; it better kick butt for the money.<strong> </strong></p>

Totally agree, I feel that it is just another way for Canon to make money. They could of made a new version but not an L and it would of been much cheaper and more afforable. Most if not all of the Canon's recent lenses were all "L". Which gives the impression that Canon is no more releasing any "normal" lenses.

Canon Rumors said:
<p><strong>EF 8-15 f/4L Fisheye

<span style=\"font-weight: normal;\">Wow! </span></strong>What a unique and brilliant idea. One fisheye to work with the entire EOS line. No, it’s not cheap ($1400USD), but for the folks that want a fisheye and have various crop factors in their bag, this is a winner.</p>
<p>I cannot wait to try it out.</p>

I will order this as soon as it is available. :)

Canon Rumors said:
<p><strong>EF 300 f/2.8L IS II & EF 400 f/2.8L IIS II

<span style=\"font-weight: normal;\">Neither of these lenses NEEDED to be replaced, but it cannot hurt to continue to evolve your flagship products.</span></strong></p>
<p>I’m sure they will continue the tradition of Canon’s big white lenses being the stuff of legends.</p>

I was thinking the same until I saw the weight loss! The fat 400mm is the newest "biggest loser"! ;D

This is one of the biggest things that will make me stick with Canon at least for the next decade or so! 8)

Canon Rumors said:
<p><strong>5D Mark III / 3D

<span style=\"font-weight: normal;\">A full frame camera with at least the 7D autofocus system and all the bells and whistles in a smaller package than the 1D series camera. Don’t increase the megapixel count, just take the 5D Mark II to the next level.</span></strong></p>

It should have the 1D's Focus system like how it used to be with the old film model. As, "Canonians" We are really begging for the minimum right now! :mad:

What next? will we beg Canon to retain the Autofocus Feature and not release a body that only have Manual focus ? :mad:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.