Creating sunstars in portraits.

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
K-amps said:
I asked the same question once... didn't get a straight answer.

Some considerations:

You need a lot of strobes to offset the Sun
If the Sun is at an angle and not directly into the lens then maybe a large reflector will work?
Are you hiding the sun behind the models head? or is it nakedly burning a hole in your sensor?

Thanks for replying. I have seen photos of people with the sun fully visible and it has the points or rays like a street light has in many night shots.

You are right, a lot of power is needed to offset the sun. I have 7 Canon 600EX-RTs and 1 Flashpoint Streaklight (360ws) with a Godox Cells II-C trigger. Honestly, the Streaklight does a good job on its own for sunrise and sunset shots with the sun behind the subject's head. That's even when the sun is still bright white. Especially when I use a 2 stop ND filter.

What I'd like to do is have the sun in the photo when it is somewhat higher in the sky with the sunstar effect. I wish I could find the tutorial I once saw on this, but I cannot.

I have not worried about burning the sensor because the shutter speeds are so fast.

Eventually I will get a 4 stop and 6 stop ND to see if that helps. I guess the first thing is to master getting sunstars in the first place. Once that is mastered, then adding a subject to the shot should be easy provided enough flash power is used.

I know somebody on this forum must have the answer. There's one pro I talk to from this forum fairly often, but I don't want to overstay my welcome in his world by asking him things too often.

Trial and error should produce an answer sooner or later I guess.

Upvote 0
P

Pookie

Yep, stop your lens down and make sure you have odd number of aperture blades in the lens you use to get the double faceted star look. f/8 will work, f/16 would be better.

You won't need a lot of flash power at f/16... and no, you won't burn your sensor unless you leave the camera pointed at the sun for a long time in BULB.

Here is a page describing the effect with examples and a brief description of why/how a lens works this way.
http://www.linandjirsablog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/greystone-mansion-wedding-photography-beverly-hills-01.jpg

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Pookie said:
Yep, stop your lens down and make sure you have odd number of aperture blades in the lens you use to get the double faceted star look. f/8 will work, f/16 would be better.

You won't need a lot of flash power at f/16... and no, you won't burn your sensor unless you leave the camera pointed at the sun for a long time in BULB.

Here is a page describing the effect with examples and a brief description of why/how a lens works this way.
http://www.linandjirsablog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/greystone-mansion-wedding-photography-beverly-hills-01.jpg

Thank you very much.

Yeah, I never worried about pointing towards the sun like that. Thanks again Pookie!

Upvote 0