Custom Settings - How do you configure your custom settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2010
FWIW, my basic uses/settings are:

C1 - tripod/landscape: Av, f/8, ISO 100, evaluating metering, mirror lock up

C2 - portrait: Av, f/1.2 (so any lens mounted will be set to wide open), ISO 100, spot metering

C3 - BIF aka holy crap what's that?!?: M, 1/1600 s, f/6.3, Auto ISO (on 7D), evaluative metering

I chose those settings for C3 based on a mode dial - it's easy to spin until it stops when in a hurry. I have yet to decide how I'll do that on the 1D X, and I may replace C2 with a low light people shooting setting (Av, auto ISO, min shutter of 1/80 or 1/100 s).

Upvote 0

DJL329

EOS R5
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2010
www.flickr.com
neuroanatomist said:
Many/most of the C.Fn settings also apply to the C# custom settings...

Make that 'All of the C.Fn settings...' ;)

Anything and everything saved to the C# custom settings is independent of what is set in any of the other modes -- as it should be.

----------------------------

Now that I have the 5D3 (arrived Friday), I wish I could program one of the buttons (like RATE) to toggle the VF Grid on or off. (Are you listening Canon?)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
DJL329 said:
neuroanatomist said:

Anything and everything saved to the C# custom settings is independent of what is set in any of the other modes -- as it should be.

All of them? So...that would include C.Fn III-8 on your 5DII, AF Microadjustment, right? Meaning, if you get a new lens, you need to go in and update that C.Fn for all your C# settings? Except....you don't, and that's certainly, 'as it should be,' in my opinion. I could go digging in the manual (IIRC there's a list of settings stored with C# modes), and possibly find others. But...AFMA is definitely not stored independently with regular and each C# mode, and that was the basis of my statement, "Many/most of the C.Fn settings..."

Upvote 0

DJL329

EOS R5
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2010
www.flickr.com
neuroanatomist said:
DJL329 said:
neuroanatomist said:

All of them? So...that would include C.Fn III-8 on your 5DII, AF Microadjustment, right? Meaning, if you get a new lens, you need to go in and update that C.Fn for all your C# settings? Except....you don't, and that's certainly, 'as it should be,' in my opinion. I could go digging in the manual (IIRC there's a list of settings stored with C# modes), and possibly find others. But...AFMA is definitely not stored independently with regular and each C# mode, and that was the basis of my statement, "Many/most of the C.Fn settings..."

Sorry, I thought I'd read that it was all, but AFMA does make sense to be universal (and the focusing screen). (I've never bothered with AFMA, so I didn't realize).

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
DJL329 said:
Sorry, I thought I'd read that it was all, but AFMA does make sense to be universal (and the focusing screen). (I've never bothered with AFMA, so I didn't realize).

Focusing screen - good point!

OTOH, on the 5DIII I think AFMA is now a regular menu option, not a C.Fn, and no other focus screens are supported, so on that body it may, indeed, be the case that all C.Fn's are independently stored in the C# options.

Upvote 0
What is this "C1," "C2," and "C3" of which you write?

<looks at camera>

Huh?

<looks again>

Oh...those. No clue. And what's this green thing on there, too? And -- hey! I've got a TV built into my camera! Who'd'a thunk? And a P? Is that for using the Shorty McForty? Can't be...I got the camera before they started selling it....

Cheers,

b&

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.