D800 is finally here

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know lots of Canon fans were in denial of a 36 megapixel D800, but it looks like most of the rumored specs were 100% spot on. This is a Brazilian release translated to English, so it does read a little funny, but you can make out the specs nonetheless.

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/02/06/nikon-d800-press-release.aspx/#more-32762

Come on Canon, I really don't want to switch, so please announce a 5D3 that can go head-to-head with this beastly Nikon.

Mar 25, 2011
V8Beast said:
I don't quite understand this part either, but something must have been lost in translation:

The focus system uses 15 sensors of the type AF Crusaders for accuracy and the system also emphasizes human faces even when the viewfinder is used.

Does anyone have any idea what an "AF Crusader" is :D?

You are reading a Google Translation from Portugese which is translated from Japanese. Its a wonder you can make out anything at all.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
You are reading a Google Translation from Portugese which is translated from Japanese. Its a wonder you can make out anything at all.

No kidding. I'm actually surprised how coherent most of the release was. I suppose it would make more sense to wait a couple of days for the English release, but what fun would that be?

Upvote 0
NO. Canon, please DO NOT turn the 5D3 into a D800!!! Not that it looks that way if the latest CR rumored specs are spot on or even close to being accurate.

Now it's Canon's turn to make an announcement. Please give us a low light shooting (100-12,800 or 100-51,200 native ISO), moderate FPS (5-6 FPS), with the 1D-X's 61-pt AF system (or something "similar"...maybe with fewer pts). For the quoted asking price of $2700 USD. Make us happy!! (or some of us)

Upvote 0

jrista

EOL
Dec 3, 2011
jonrista.com
neuroanatomist said:
Hmmmm...

"The D800 also employs 9 cross-type sensors fully functional when used with compatible NIKKOR lenses and teleconverters aperture f / 8 or smaller."

HAH! Now thats a huge dig at Canon's 1D X if I ever saw one! :D I'm curious how accurate they are though...LOT of light loss at f/8...

Upvote 0
BDD said:
Now it's Canon's turn to make an announcement. Please give us a low light shooting (100-12,800 or 100-51,200 native ISO), moderate FPS (5-6 FPS), with the 1D-X's 61-pt AF system (or something "similar"...maybe with fewer pts). For the quoted asking price of $2700 USD. Make us happy!! (or some of us)

Honestly, I wouldn't mind a camera like that, either, but if the 5D3 specs end up being similar to your wish list, Canon better have another high megapixel body up its sleeve that can compete with the D800. I see the D800 as a nice upgrade over my 1Ds3, as it has similar AF and FPS but with way more megapixels. A pop-up flash to control off-camera strobes is a nice perk as well.

Now that Nikon has showed its hand, the 5D3 will have to be a substantial upgrade in the ISO department or the megapixel department compared to the 5D2. Merely upgrading to a 9-cross-type AF system while maintaining similar resolution, as some people have suggested, just isn't going to cut it.

Upvote 0
Jan 5, 2011
I'm a little confused about the differences between this and the D700... The main point is the 36mp sensor. Don't both have 51 point AF, 15 cross (Crusader, ha) types, ISO 100-6400, Weather sealing?

The rest honestly sounds like marketing speak. "Better" this and "improved" that. Don't get me wrong 36mp is pretty incredible (if unnecessary), but I don't find the rest all that impressive.

Upvote 0
EYEONE said:
I'm a little confused about the differences between this and the D700... The main point is the 36mp sensor. Don't both have 51 point AF, 15 cross (Crusader, ha) types, ISO 100-6400, Weather sealing?

The rest honestly sounds like marketing speak. "Better" this and "improved" that. Don't get me wrong 36mp is pretty incredible (if unnecessary), but I don't find the rest all that impressive.

Wow, you must have some pretty high standards. I take it Canon's going to have to come out with one heck of a 5D3 to impress you :)

What I really like about the D800 is that it retains or slightly improves upon the virtues of the D700 (AF, FPS, weather sealing, etc.) while addressing its weak point (resolution). For my shooting needs, I dreamed of a camera that was a cross between a 5D2 and a D700. Nikon has delivered just that with the D800 while adding another 15 megapixels.

Upvote 0

Mark D5 TEAM II

Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
Mar 5, 2013
Tleilax, Thalim Star System
I welcome the release of the D800 with those specs so Canon would have no more reason to hold out on any of the specs of the 5D3 or EOS-3D since the two remaining advantages of the 5D2 (resolution & video) have now been wiped out. And no more apologists encouraging Canon to just use xxD-type 9pt all-cross type or even just 7D-type 19-pt all-cross AF.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.