Dark pixel spot on 90D sensor, is it worth sending back to Canon?

Oct 4, 2020
Hey everyone, I've noticed that my 90D has a little circle of darker pixels towards the top right of every image in the same spot, I've tried using my 70-300mm L and also the non-L 70-300 and they both do the same thing so it's definitely sensor related, but I have noticed the darker pixels are more noticeable at 300mm with both lenses and at 70mm it's not as noticeable. I only got the 90D a few months ago and have only shot about 1500 shots, it also goes in the bag after I use it so I don't think it would be dust related, but I have tried using the dust removal data to see if that would help, after I append the dust removal data in DPP4 and then convert to jpg or png the dark spot is still there. I've also tried using the sensor cleaner in the 90D menu a few times. I've attached a quick image, it's more noticeable on a blue sky or sunset though.

Do you guys think it's worth sending back to Canon or do you think it's so small of an issue that it's within acceptable tolerances and they won't even fix it?

Yes I can always just crop or manually edit the spot which is what I'll probably be doing. I do have a 5 year warranty so if I notice the spot getting bigger then I'll send it back to Canon.
IMG_1739 Spot.PNG

Jan 29, 2011
I just took some shots at f22 and f32 and it does look like a bit of dust, thank you. Is it safe for me to clean the sensor with a rocket blower while pointing the camera down?
Yes, just put the camera in the manual clean cycle. Obviously be cautious and take care to not touch the sensor.

If that doesn’t shift it then it probably needs a ‘wet clean’ which can be easily done at home or any local camera shop could do it.

Upvote 0