DAT file on M5 video error

DanP

CR Pro
Dec 8, 2014
I was using an M5 to video some speeches at a wedding a few weeks ago and after a few minutes the camera screen brought up an error message which I don't remember exactly, but I think it said something about having to restart. I turned the camera off and back on and I could video again and it worked fine after that for the rest of the evening. However, the file on the card that relates to the video when the error arose is a .DAT file and it's 1.53GB, which is about the same size as another MP4 file on the card for a video of about the same length. Does anyone know of a way to salvage video from a DAT file, or should I just accept that the video is lost.

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Dan.
I have heard of some people having success by just changing the file extension to the same as should have been. Make a copy, (never mess with the original) and set the extension to mp4. It will likely be in the correct format but as the camera crashed the extension was unknown and given a .dat extension?

Cheers, Graham.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

DanP

CR Pro
Dec 8, 2014
Hi Dan.
I have heard of some people having success by just changing the file extension to the same as should have been. Make a copy, (never mess with the original) and set the extension to mp4. It will likely be in the correct format but as the camera crashed the extension was unknown and given a .dat extension?

Cheers, Graham.
Thanks Graham. Unfortunately that did not work. The file is probably corrupt. I rarely do video so I don't know if this is an unusual problem to encounter.

1567310861693.png

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
It may have corrupted headers information that the camera should update when the file is 'closed', and thereby players may not be able to open it correctly. It may be possible to create the missing information, but it would require to analyze the file itself. Don't know if there is available software to attempt it automatically. If the file is important, I would contact a data recovery company.

Upvote 0

DanP

CR Pro
Dec 8, 2014
It may have corrupted headers information that the camera should update when the file is 'closed', and thereby players may not be able to open it correctly. It may be possible to create the missing information, but it would require to analyze the file itself. Don't know if there is available software to attempt it automatically. If the file is important, I would contact a data recovery company.
Thanks LDS. It was a friend's daughter's wedding, so not really important to me and it wasn't my job to video.

Upvote 0