Deal: Canon EOS 5Ds Body $2999 (Reg $3699)

dilbert said:
Mancubus said:
Lets see, they released 2 cameras that are only better than the 5d3 because of the insane amount of megapixels.

People that want this camera are looking for the absolute maximum resolution and sharpness available (5DSR), and then they release a version that is slightly less sharp for only $200 less. Who will want that? If you're blowing almost $4k in a camera body, why save 5% and get something a tad less sharp?

No wonder the 5DSR is sold out and the 5DS is a leftover in most places. Of course its dropping in price, the 5DSR should have been the only model available.

Canon probably thought like others on this website that "no AA filter = moire = unworkable images" and rather than learn from Nikon's D800/D800E => D810 exercise, Canon is making the same mistake all by itself. What can you say? Nothing really.

IMO it's the consumers making the mistake and Canon, for once recently, that was actually correct. Sadly it seems they are getting punished for the one thing they did try to do more sensibly than Sony and Nikon.

Although it very well may be that DxO simply cut and pasted over the wrong metamerism info for the 5DsR, if that does proved to be correct though, then the 5DsR even has worse color performance than the 5Ds never mind more aliasing noise than the 5Ds.

Upvote 0
glness said:
This doesn't surprise me. I had this camera ordered and cancelled it when the Sony a7R II came out and bought that camera instead. The a7R II is the kind of quality innovation we should be getting from Canon, but unfortunately that is not the case.

I think Canon may simply be stuck because they refused to do anything about moving to a new sensor process. Maybe he is just blowing smoke to justify their uber-tiered strategy and crippling of anything less than 15k but in that latest interview with the head of Canon's camera division he claims they have problems getting 4k into a small body with a FF (and maybe even APS-C sensor) due to needing giant heat sinks (is the heat sink in the 1DC really THAT big though? I forget what size it was and whether it looked like it needed the cavernous 1D bodies to work well or not). With a modern fab you can do things to make the read off the sensor more efficient and not have these heat issues. Nobody else has them these days, only Canon with their 500nm fab sensors. They can't match Exmor DR and they are now showing struggles for video too. Unless it's all just marketing BS and he is just trying to justify their sluggishness and wanting to protect the 15k stuff at all costs.

It's also interesting that anytime 4k or video was brought up he mentioned Canon USA and gave the impression that Canon Japan doesn't perhaps care much about such things. Also bizarre is that any time they mention DSLR or small video cams they always bring up new reporter focus groups!! Seriously, are run and gun news guys really the ones most pushing and wanting 4k right now? DIdn't they learn the lesson when their run and gun new reporter focus group told them their was no need for manual control of video in the 5D2? Which was only instantly proven wrong to incredible outcry even before the 5D2 shipped?

Or maybe he is just playing coy and they have something crazy ready, but given that the last few times that didn't prove to be the case and the competition they are facing and how antsy many are and how many of the video people, at least, at the below Cxx range have left Canon already playing coy would seem a weird move at this point.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
While this is a gray market import taking advantage of exchange rates in currency (US Dollars are very valuable in many countries right now), you can get a USA model from a Authorized Canon Dealer for $3299, so the cameras are not selling as well as expected. the 5DS R is in high demand, and very hard to find. The type of photographer who is looking for ultimate detail wants the R version. This was pretty predictable.

This does not mean that Canon has dropped the price, just that some sellers want to reduce inventory and are selling for a little over their cost.

Note the Canon Price Watch Street Price Deal

http://www.canonpricewatch.com/product/05701/Canon-EOS-5Ds-price.html

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
glness said:
This doesn't surprise me. I had this camera ordered and cancelled it when the Sony a7R II came out and bought that camera instead. The a7R II is the kind of quality innovation we should be getting from Canon, but unfortunately that is not the case.

Even better that you can couple it with the quality lens innovation that we're not getting from Sony. ;)

Yes neuroanatomist you are 100% right. Lenses have always been the weak link at Sony. Now that you can get that great Sony sensor quality, and with an adaptor for the a7R II use quality Canon lenses with fast autofocus, I think it is a game changer.

Upvote 0
Maiaibing said:
glness said:
I had this camera ordered and cancelled it when the Sony a7R II came out and bought that camera instead.

If you already bought the A7RII I would be seriously worried that its not only a grey market item but a Chinese copy product... ;D

Maiaibing, I don't have the camera yet. It has been on order. Expecting it sometime in August.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
glness said:

Even better that you can couple it with the quality lens innovation that we're not getting from Sony. ;)

The partnership with Zeiss is promising, though. I'll be getting the upcoming Batis 2/25, which is native E mount.

Upvote 0
SO HERE IS THE DEAL:

1. THE CAMERA IS GRAY MARKET
2. NO USA WARRANTY CARD OR ANY WARRANTY CARD IN THE BOX - SO YOU TAKE YOUR CHANCES
3. THE WARRANTY OFFERED IS BY THE SELLER NOT BY AN AUTHORIZED DEALER OR REPAIR SHOP - WILL YOU REALLY SEND THE CAMERA BACK TO THEM?????
4. THE ACCESSORIES ARE QUESTIONABLE, SINCE CANON DOES NOT SEAL THEIR BOXES, THE AUTHENTICITY OF BATTERY AND CHARGER THAT WILL BE IN THE BOX IS QUESTIONABLE

NOW IF YOU ARE OK WITH THE ABOVE AND THE PRICE IS WORTH THE RISK, IT'S YOUR CHOICE. ON THE OTHER HAND ADORAMA AND B&H IS OFFERING THIS SAME CAMERA AT $3699 WITH A $400 REBATECARD TOWARD CANON ACCESSORIES, SUCH AS LENSES OR PRINTERS.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
Anyone have any luck with this retailer? Anyone order anything from GID before?

Seems a bit sketchy but having said that, I foresaw this some time ago...the bright side is that hopefully the price of the regular 5DS gets pushed down below $3k (legitimately, through rebates or whatever) and effectively lowers the barrier to entry for the 50MP camera in a way that the R version never could, even if released by itself.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the official 5DS price drop to $3499 or even $3299 before year's end.

Upvote 0