Deal: Canon EOS RP body & mount adapter $1046 (Reg $1299)

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
6ave (99.6% approval) is selling the Canon EOS RP body with the EF-RF mount converter for $1046 (Reg $1299) via ebay.
Key features of the Canon EOS RP:

26.2MP Full-Frame CMOS Sensor
DIGIC 8 Image Processor
UHD 4K and Full HD 1080 Video
2.36m-Dot OLED Electronic Viewfinder
3″ 1.04m-Dot Vari-Angle Touchscreen LCD
Dual Pixel CMOS AF, 4779 AF Points
ISO 100-40000, Up to 5 fps Shooting
Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Connectivity
Canon Mount Adapter EF-EOS R

Canon EOS RP body & mount adapter $1046 (Reg $1299)
Note: This is likely a grey market item, however, you should still be covered by a Canon 1-year warranty.

Continue reading...

Aug 26, 2015
The body feels great with small lenses, I like the quieter shutter and mode dial, but I felt that it was too crippled in other aspects and most of the lenses will be big anyway, so the R might worth the extra cost (until the RP gets even cheaper)

Also worth mentioning the upcoming firmware update, which is mainly focusing on the AF system (either due on the 26th or 30th according to different sources). According to testers, it will make a bigger difference on the R than on the RP.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
The body feels great with small lenses, I like the quieter shutter and mode dial, but I felt that it was too crippled in other aspects and most of the lenses will be big anyway, so the R might worth the extra cost (until the RP gets even cheaper)

Also worth mentioning the upcoming firmware update, which is mainly focusing on the AF system (either due on the 26th or 30th according to different sources). According to testers, it will make a bigger difference on the R than on the RP.

I (mostly) enjoyed my brief time with the R (a couple of things drove me crazy but I believe they are customizable). The RP would be tempting at this price...but then I realize I do NOT know what it's like in hand.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I (mostly) enjoyed my brief time with the R (a couple of things drove me crazy but I believe they are customizable). The RP would be tempting at this price...but then I realize I do NOT know what it's like in hand.
It is nicely designed, I haven't heard any complaints, except some people can't handle it properly without the extension grip (but after that it may even be better for them than an R without a vertical grip)
I have smaller lenses than the RF 35/1.8, and they felt great on it (while the R feels a bit too bulky and heavy for them)

But there are too many other things, where they did the crippling job too well (hacking this camera would be huge, plenty of software-based limitations)
On the other hand, it also gives them more leeway to lower the price even more if needed.
Right now, I would say there are better deals on the grey-market R considering what it offers, but as a tiny minimalist FF camera from Canon, the RP isn't bad at all.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
You might be better of with an M6 Mark ii. The sensor in the RP is bit of a dinosaur that’s going to minimize some of the benefits of going full frame.

I too find myself wanting to know what the next full frame sensor(s) will be like before I move on an RP (or R). Almost everyone here thinks there will be an 83 MP sensor (32 MP APS-C expanded to full frame whilst retaining the pixel density). Now I know part of the benefit of FF is you can reduce the pixel density, but it would still just seem...odd...to get a full frame camera with fewer pixels total than the crop sensor camera I also intend to get.

So I'm hoping they come out with a FF sensor in the 40-50 MP range too. But even 35MP or so would be good.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I too find myself wanting to know what the next full frame sensor(s) will be like before I move on an RP (or R). Almost everyone here thinks there will be an 83 MP sensor (32 MP APS-C expanded to full frame whilst retaining the pixel density). Now I know part of the benefit of FF is you can reduce the pixel density, but it would still just seem...odd...to get a full frame camera with fewer pixels total than the crop sensor camera I also intend to get.

So I'm hoping they come out with a FF sensor in the 40-50 MP range too. But even 35MP or so would be good.
Well, I imagine that almost everyone with a 1D has a crop and/or cell phone with much higher pixel density. The real question on pixel density is whether you have the glass and the ability to use it to to make a lower pixel density body work. Not many people really want 30 or 50 or 80 megapixels in their finished product; most just want a great 10 megapixel crop/reduction.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Not many people really want 30 or 50 or 80 megapixels in their finished product; most just want a great 10 megapixel crop/reduction.

My philosophy is, take the highest quality data one can handle, then, at the last step, reduce it to what you need. You may want another go at it later with higher quality, which you can only do if it was there in the first place.

I may post something only 800 pixels wide--but it started at 4000, even though my camera would take it at a lower resolution to begin with.

My attitude might be different, of course, if I took far more pictures than I do, but these days, storage is cheap, $30 or so per terabyte. (Compare to the late 80s when storage typically cost ten dollars per megabyte...that works out to being ten MILLION dollars per terabyte.)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Well, I imagine that almost everyone with a 1D has a crop and/or cell phone with much higher pixel density. The real question on pixel density is whether you have the glass and the ability to use it to to make a lower pixel density body work. Not many people really want 30 or 50 or 80 megapixels in their finished product; most just want a great 10 megapixel crop/reduction.
If I can frame a photo in camera so that I do not have to crop at all in post I am very happy. That rarely happens. Still, I save every original full size file as a tiff, my edited photo as a tiff and jpeg, and then reduce resolution to 125 for web posting... saving each of those too. You are right. High megapixel like the 80+ being talked about would make more cropped versions of the same photo possible without the finished product looking bad.

There have been photos I have taken that I would like to dissect into more variations, but then resolution takes a dive if the area cropped ends up being too small. I do post on the web, but when I send off for a print I like 20x30". Most of those are gifts to family or an especially nice photo to a subject that has generously donated his/her time for me to practice.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I wonder why that is, if it is the same firmware? Sensor?

Upvote 0