Deal: Canon PIXMA PRO-100 Wireless Printer $79 (Reg $379)

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
B&H Photo has the Canon PIXMA PRO-100 Wireless Professional Inkjet Photo Printer for $79 after a $250 mail-in rebate and $50 instant rebate.</p>
<p>You must add the printer to your car to see the $50 discount and the $329 price, you can then send in a $250 mail-in rebate for the additional savings. For the most part, Canon USA rebates come back to you quite quickly. The deal also includes the Canon SG-201 Photo Paper Plus Semi-Gloss (13 x 19″, 50 Sheets).</p>
<p>Another great way to save even more is to take advantage of this deal with a new EOS DSLR. You’ll save $350 with a mail-in rebate, as well as get a 50 pack of Canon photo paper.</p>
<p><a href="https://bhpho.to/2vfddKp"><strong>Canon EOS 6D Mark II Body w/Pixma Pro-100 $1949</strong></a> after MIR. (<a href="https://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/rebateLayer.jsp/sku/893738/is/REG/type/reg/bi/2466/kbid/3296">Download mail-in rebate</a>)</p>
<p class="fs16 OpenSans-600-normal upper product-highlights-header">PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS</p>

<ul class="top-section-list" data-selenium="highlightList">
<li class="top-section-list-item">4800 x 2400 dpi</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Print 8 x 10″ in 51 Seconds</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Wi-Fi, Ethernet, AirPrint, PictBridge</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Print Sizes up to 13 x 19″</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">8 Ink Cartridges Including 3 Monochrome</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">CD, DVD, Blu-ray Printing</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Print Studio Pro for Photoshop, DPP</li>
</ul>
<p><strong><a href="https://bhpho.to/2vy8dU9">Canon PIXMA PRO-100 Wireless Professional Inkjet Photo Printer $79</a></strong> (Reg $379) (<a href="https://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/rebateLayer.jsp/sku/893738/is/REG/type/reg/bi/2466/kbid/3296">Download mail-in rebate</a>)</p>
<p>This deal is good for two days, or while quantities last.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>
<div style="font-size:0px;height:0px;line-height:0px;margin:0;padding:0;clear:both"></div>

Have this printer. Got it "free" when I bought my 5D3. It is an "okay" printer at best. For me, $79 may be the upper limit of it's worth. Color prints seem okay. Black & white prints suck. Magenta cast regardless of what I do. You may think you've got it cleaned up but put the b&w print from the PRO-100 next to the same b&w print from, let's say, an Epson printer and the magenta cast is very visible.

Carts for the PRO-100 are very small. If you do more than the occasional print or large print, you will find yourself needing carts frequently. They're not THAT expensive but it is a pain to keep having to buy new carts.

If I seem overly negative it is because I spent too much time trying to get a good quality b&w print from the PRO-100 before throwing up my hands and just giving up. The printer is now covered and serving as a bed for Ilsa - my studio cat who spends hours sprawled out over top of the printer.

If you are seriously interested in printing and particularly if you do any b&w printing do yourself a favor and get an Epson. It will cost more but in the long run, you will be much happier and make better prints.

I've asked myself why Canon has continued to basically give away this printer. My answer keeps coming back that it is because it's not a good product. But they want to keep selling the ink carts. And finally, they want you to buy the Canon papers which work marginally better with this printer than papers from companies like Moab, Canson Infinity, Hannemuhle, etc.

Upvote 0

JonAustin

Telecom / IT consultant and semi-pro photographer
Dec 10, 2012
Horseshoe Bay, TX
I bought my first PRO-100 in early 2013 for $209, and have been very satisfied with it. It has succeeded two or three previous Canon wide carriage models, going back to the S9000. No, it's not perfect, but it has been more that suitable for my purposes.I have bought a couple of new units since, at about $100 a pop, just to pull the ink tanks (since a set of tanks runs $125), then given the printers away. These were sold by photographers who split them out of camera bundles.

My unit has been acting up lately; occasionally the power and alarm lights flash alternately, and the only solution is to take it to the local service center. That would probably cost more than the $79 net of this offer after rebates, not to mention the hassle factor, so I just took advantage of the B&H offer. I still have two unopened packs of 13x19 Photo Paper Plus Semi-Gloss from the previous bundles, and am about to acquire a third. I'll probably never use it all.

I do wish that Canon would produce a photo-quality, wide carriage printer with larger ink tanks, like the Pixma G series. (And I wonder why B&H doesn't sell this line.)

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Ed V said:
Color prints seem okay. Black & white prints suck. Magenta cast regardless of what I do.

In his review Keith Cooper showed some doubts about the Pixma Pro 100 B&W output (www.northlight-images.co.uk/canon-pixma-pro-100-printer-review/), at least without specific profiling, despite the three "grey" inks.

Anyway, this looks a printer mostly with the color user in mind. The Pixma Pro 10 and 1 do a better job for B&W output.

Though I wonder how many Pixma 100 Canon and resellers still have in their warehouses...

Upvote 0