Deal: Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro $399 (Reg $499)

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Last edited:
I bought an RP as incredible offer (in Germany the prices are still 1299) with that lens more or less for free and it is a unique lens because of the combination of properties: bright aperture AND image stabilizer plus 1:2 macro/close-up capacity plus compact/lightweight.
While I do not like the 35mm focal length too much I really like this lens: With the RP it is similar to Canon AE-1 with f/1.4 50mm size wise, weight is less but IQ with AF (yes, AE-1 with FD 1.4 had only MF) and IS + Macro extend the usability of this camera by a very large margin.
Good times technology wise ...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

dancan

R5
Jan 8, 2015
I bought an RP as incredible offer (in Germany the prices are still 1299) with that lens more or less for free and it is a unique lens because of the combination of properties: bright aperture AND image stabilizer plus 1:2 macro/close-up capacity plus compact/lightweight.
While I do not like the 35mm focal length too much I really like this lens: With the RP it is similar to Canon AE-1 with f/1.4 50mm size wise, weight is less but IQ with AF (yes, AE-1 with FD 1.4 had only MF) and IS + Macro extend the usability of this camera by a very large margin.
Good times technology wise ...
OK, this prize is amazing! My quick research delivers something around 1800 EUR. So where exactly did you find the 1299 with the 35mm lens??

Upvote 0
OK, this prize is amazing! My quick research delivers something around 1800 EUR. So where exactly did you find the 1299 with the 35mm lens??
Sorry to say this: I bought it during a black week deal end of november last year where a lot of reductions were accumulated on that special set - maybe the next round of cash back might reduce the price again plus a reasonably priced EOS R6 might bring the RP price down too.

Upvote 0

illadvisedhammer

buggin out
CR Pro
Aug 19, 2015
Got it as well, now I can mostly pay for it by selling my 35 f2 IS and 50 2.5 macro, only question is whether to do that now or wait a year for better economic times. What an inane distraction from the pandemic, but I'm looking forward to a great lens for taking pictures indoors in enclosed spaces.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
It appears this deal is still ON...$359 for the 35mm.

(It's an "affordable" RF lens [affordability is in the wallet of the beholder], hope more come out soon.)

Were it not for the fact that I don't have an RF camera, and can't be 100% positive that I ever will [note to Canon-employed lurkers--a low price for the R5 will make it exactly as likely as my living to see it be introduced] I would probably jump on this.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I been in small room and 35mm just doesn't capture everything as I am already back to the wall.
Its probably not made for your application. 35mm is moderately wide, but not where ultra wide is needed. I would likely use it fore food photos or other relatively close photography. I used my 50mm Macro on my R and liked it, 35 is wider, and might be of more use. Mainly I like it because its small and light. Packing around by big L lenses gets more difficult every year. I keep thinking that I should go lighter, so I'll play with this lens. It will probably hold its value for a while.

I still love my 100mm L, but its too long for some uses. I have a home made copy stand, it might work well for that.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
I been in small room and 35mm just doesn't capture everything as I am already back to the wall.
You need a wide angle lens. I don't claim to be up on the nomenclature, but I've always considered 35mm as a zero lens (supposedly approximates what the eye sees). Above 35 is telephoto, below 35 is wide angle. The 24mm end of a standard zoom would be moderately wide. If you're in a small room you would need an ultra-wide of at least 16mm if you want to capture the majority of the scene. There's always an opportunity to spend more money with photography...

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Since I have been using Leica M cameras for a very long time, if I had to get along with one single lens, It definitely would be a 35mm, or, maybe, a 50mm. Gimme a Summilux 35 or an EF 35 II, and I'm happy.........with an EF 100-400 II !
You shouldn't expect it to perform miracles in a small room, that's not what it's been designed for.
But I'm convinced, there are many more uses for a 35 than for a 14mm...

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Its probably not made for your application. 35mm is moderately wide, but not where ultra wide is needed. I would likely use it fore food photos or other relatively close photography. I used my 50mm Macro on my R and liked it, 35 is wider, and might be of more use. Mainly I like it because its small and light. Packing around by big L lenses gets more difficult every year. I keep thinking that I should go lighter, so I'll play with this lens. It will probably hold its value for a while.

I still love my 100mm L, but its too long for some uses. I have a home made copy stand, it might work well for that.
I have the non-L 100mm macro and I can attest it's fantastic for copy stands. However, it's not going to do well for documents, and the like, we're talking more like postage stamps and business cards and things of that size. (Unless your copy stand is very, very tall!)

I imagine the L is not dissimilar.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The lens arrived today, I gave it a quick try out, it impressed me with producing images that were clear and could be viewed at 100%. The lens arrived with IS turned off, so thats how I used it. realistically, even at f/5.6 and overcast, I was still getting 1/160 sec shutter speeds, so IS was not needed.

I did try close focusing of a couple of small items on my desk, the close focusing seemed reasonable, but my lighting was poor and uneven. I want to try it on my copy stand to see how well that works.

I'll need to spend more time with it, it was cold and stormy out, I can't handle that kind of weather anymore.

I'm pretty sure its a keeper.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0