Deal: New Instant Rebate on the Canon Speedlite EL-1

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon USA has launched a new instant rebate on the flagship Canon Speedlite EL-1. You can save $100 off of Canon’s best Speedlite.
Canon Speedlite EL-1 Key Features

Maximum Guide Number of 197 ft./60m at ISO 100 Zoom Flash Head with Wide Range of 24-200mm
New Rechargeable Li-ion Battery Utilizing LC-E6 Battery Charger
Improved Recycling Time (0.9 sec.) and Number of Flashes (335 times)
New Active Cooling System Enabling Longer Operation and Improved Thermal Management
More Versatility with Minimal Power Output Range 1/8192
Improved User Interface with New Joystick, Display and Control Layout
LED Modeling Lamp with Adjustable Brightness and Color Temperature
Same Dust- and Water-Resistance as EOS-1D Series and a New High-Durability Glass Flash Tube

Canon Speedlite EL-1 $999 (Reg $1099)

Continue reading...

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
I'd be tempted, if it didn't require an adapter for full compatibility (i.e. weather sealing) with the R3.
Yep, that's the one thing that annoys me. So far so good with my R6, but what happens in the future when all cameras go this route. Otherwise, the flash is fantastic!

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
Yep, that's the one thing that annoys me. So far so good with my R6, but what happens in the future when all cameras go this route. Otherwise, the flash is fantastic!
It looks like that new hot-shue will have the same connections as the "normal" one has, but have extra ones, so this flash will work for you even for the R3 and the next generation cameras

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
I'd be tempted, if it didn't require an adapter for full compatibility (i.e. weather sealing) with the R3. Instead, I'll wait for an R3-native flash.
That is a very good idea and I am in the same boat. I still have a 600EX RT flash, but am waiting for Canon to release a new version that is compatible with the R3 are presumably every other future R camera. I still purchased two adapters for when I use dedicated Canon Macro flashes, but that is not very often.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
That is a very good idea and I am in the same boat. I still have a 600EX RT flash, but am waiting for Canon to release a new version that is compatible with the R3 are presumably every other future R camera. I still purchased two adapters for when I use dedicated Canon Macro flashes, but that is not very often.
If you mean the AD-E1, there’s no need. The only function of that adapter is to maintain a weather-sealed connection between flash and camera for flashes with sealing. None of the Canon macro flashes have the foot gasket, so the adapter isn’t needed – they’ll mount and function on the R3 without the adapter (as will sealed flashes like the EL-1, they just won’t be weather sealed).

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
The 'problem' Canon and the user base of the higher end products is I simply don't see Canon introducing the new hotshot across all bodies, there is not need to. But the question really is although legacy accessories fit in the new shoe does stuff designed specifically for the new shoe fit in the 'older' hotshot?

The TASCAM audio interface is designed for the new interface yet it also has on board power options and is listed as suitable for the R5.

I'd hate to buy specific flashes for an R3 and them not work perfectly (weather sealing and all, on a 1 series.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I finally got my R-3 whoever has the EL-1 should I go for the EL-1 or should I wait and see if Canon will be bring out a new flash? And how do you like the EL-1?
It depends on what your flash aspirations are. If you are only ever going to want to be in the Canon flash eco system and you have the money I'd say get an EL-1 and an AD-E1 Multi-Function Shoe Adapter to maintain weatherproof functionality. I don't see Canon bringing in a new flash with the new hotshot design until all of the range of bodies have that new shoe design. Until then the AD-E1 is the Canon solution.

Having said that hotshot flashes are very limited and the EL-1 is a very expensive flash, there are much better and cheaper options for those that want integrated flash systems that don't rely on tiny camera mountable heads. Godox, Flashpoint, Profoto etc all offer much more comprehensive flash systems with all the functionality Canon offer but with much greater systems with much more powerful options.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...Having said that hotshot flashes are very limited and the EL-1 is a very expensive flash, there are much better and cheaper options for those that want integrated flash systems that don't rely on tiny camera mountable heads. Godox, Flashpoint, Profoto etc all offer much more comprehensive flash systems with all the functionality Canon offer but with much greater systems with much more powerful options.

Great advice. About a year and a half ago I bit the bullet and bought three Flashpoint (rebranded Godox) monolights. I had nine 600 EX RT plus battery packs. I grew frustrated with the slow refresh times and the fact that the Canon strobes defaulted to the slowest recycling unit and I would have to play Where's Waldo to find the one unit that had dead batteries.

Best purchase ever. The Flashpoints are cheaper than the Canon strobes and far more reliable. I just sold six of the nine Canon strobes and am only keeping the others for an emergency.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Great advice. About a year and a half ago I bit the bullet and bought three Flashpoint (rebranded Godox) monolights. I had nine 600 EX RT plus battery packs. I grew frustrated with the slow refresh times and the fact that the Canon strobes defaulted to the slowest recycling unit and I would have to play Where's Waldo to find the one unit that had dead batteries.

Best purchase ever. The Flashpoints are cheaper than the Canon strobes and far more reliable. I just sold six of the nine Canon strobes and am only keeping the others for an emergency.
I've run a 600 EX RT (7) and PCB Einstein (3) combo for years and been pretty happy with the outcome, but I've lusted after a Profoto B1/B1X set since they came out. I found a set on Craigslist a few weeks ago with extra batteries, transmitters, and lots of modifiers so I got it, then left the country the next day so haven't had a chance to really play with it yet!

If I like it, and I know some Profoto users have been very unhappy with their B1 experience, I'll probably dive down the rabbit hole and get an A1X or two and a D2 or two.

Upvote 0