Deal of the Day: Capture One Pro 21 $179 (Reg $299)

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Adorama has Capture One Pro 21 Photo Editing Software, Product Key Card as their Deal of the Day for only $179 (Reg $299). This is the full version of the software. This will also include a FREE upgrade to Capture One Pro 22 when it comes to market in the coming months.
Key Features

Speed Edit lets you work seamlessly without touching a slider on the interface
Operating System: Macintosh, PC/Windows
Version Type: Full Version Photo Editing Software
Delivery Method: License Card

Capture One Pro 21 $179 (Reg $299)

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2011
I am still stuck with the adobe subscription monthly robbery system and TBH, can never migrate to COP until it cna do everything that LR and PS can do.
Seriously!

I pay about $8.30 per month for PS and LR and unlimited upgrades, Capture One Pro is normally $299 with limited upgrades, that is 36 months of Adobe. Can you explain how Adobe is guilty of "robbery"? Particularly when the C1P monthly price is $24.00!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Seriously!

I pay about $8.30 per month for PS and LR and unlimited upgrades, Capture One Pro is normally $299 with limited upgrades, that is 36 months of Adobe. Can you explain how Adobe is guilty of "robbery"? Particularly when the C1P monthly price is $24.00!
in your case LR sub is probably the right choice, everyone is different.

Capture One is trying to position themselves as premium.. there are some quite good things to it, but wouldn't consider the cost at right level to purchase for me (I don't earn money from photography). COP does some things really well.. was impressed with their color replacement. Most of it is fairly intuitive and quick, but some things irked me (file mgmt stuff)..

At least you get the option of subscription or permanent license (which Adobe reneged on.. I can't reinstall my LR6, I did try a long time). I can and have used software for longer than 3 yrs. I did a trial of their software and honestly aside from new format support, didn't really see any significant improvements over LR6 and they were jerks about cancelling my trial, tried to charge me.

I did try DX0 and it seemed sluggish at time (may try again).. Have for some reason stuck with On1, but have had challenges with them too.. The latest version with their new noise engine is quite decent, though still having issues with canon color profiles. cost is similar to LR whether you go subscription or in my case permanent with a reasonable upgrade cost if I choose to.

Upvote 0

HMC11

Travel
CR Pro
Sep 5, 2020

Capture One is trying to position themselves as premium.. there are some quite good things to it, but wouldn't consider the cost at right level to purchase for me (I don't earn money from photography). COP does some things really well.. was impressed with their color replacement. Most of it is fairly intuitive and quick, but some things irked me (file mgmt stuff)..

At least you get the option of subscription or permanent license (which Adobe reneged on.. I can't reinstall my LR6, I did try a long time). I can and have used software for longer than 3 yrs. I did a trial of their software and honestly aside from new format support, didn't really see any significant improvements over LR6 and they were jerks about cancelling my trial, tried to charge me.

I did try DX0 and it seemed sluggish at time (may try again).. Have for some reason stuck with On1, but have had challenges with them too.. The latest version with their new noise engine is quite decent, though still having issues with canon color profiles. cost is similar to LR whether you go subscription or in my case permanent with a reasonable upgrade cost if I choose to.
I'm using DXO PL4. Attracted to it by its Deep Prime capability, which was the 'best', as far as I could tell, at the point of purchase. Quite happy with it overall using it together with the DigiKam file management & tagging (started with that, so too lazy to switch - works well). Main downside is that PL4 edits in sRGB space, not in AdobeRGB space. However, it is non-destructive, and since I don't print much, it wasn't a deal breaker.

Upvote 0

SilverBox

I'm not new here
CR Pro
Aug 30, 2018
I use both Capture One and Lightroom, depending on what kind of work I am shooting. For my personal work, I use LR in part because of its strong cataloging ability, but I use CO whenever I am digiteching or for myself when shooting tethered. CO is the industry standard for studio photographers shooting tethered. CO has a significantly better color rendering engine than anything on the market and has a lot of powerful features. But it also has a steep learning curve, tends to be buggy, and there are some glaring omissions like not having a history panel. LR has a good engine, though terrible color when it comes to .cr3 files (I use ColorFIdelity profiles), and is of course part of the Adobe ecosystem.

I really think of CO as a replacement for Photoshop, in that I can do almost all my editing there, with the addition of live shooting. Though if I keep getting hired to shoot big events I might switch over to PhotoMechanic to handle my cataloging and culling, eschewing LR for only my personal work.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
It’s only a matter of time before Capture One and all the other wannabe LR/PS replacements also switch to a subscription-only model.

We live in a strange world, where lots of folk complain about how much they pay for a subscription, calculating to the last cent whether A is better value than B.

But those same people often leap into spending vastly greater amounts on a new lens that might only be used a few times before being sold or confined to a cupboard for months on end. Or they’ll leap at a new body, that in all honesty won’t produce better shots than the one they already own.

My main considerations when choosing editing/DAM software were:
  1. how long will the company remain in business and provide continued support?
  2. does the software produce the level of quality that I seek?
  3. is the interface fast and intuitive to use?
  4. does it combine DAM and editing software into a single package that saves me time switching in and out of different programs?
No software is perfect. There will always be things that “another” software does better. I chose the one that, for me, offers the best compromises, which to me is more logical than saving a few dollars in a hobby that by definition is always going to be expensive.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

I wasn't discussing the functionality of the various programs, or the suitability of one over the another for any individual user. I was pointing out the fact that by no definition could the pricing of the Adobe products be considered "robbery" especially when compared to the more than twice the price direct comparison of C1P!

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Wow...that's something to look into.
The upgrade is $199....that $179 would be a savings.

I like the license model of C1....I actually skipped version 21 which saved me money. I like only upgrading when the software warrants it.

I'm thinking I'd like version 22...with the addition of pano and HDR built in. I enjoyed that with On1 RAW. I prefer the color controls and RAW engine of C! too. The controls are a bit wonky, but after a couple months you get used to that...user interface isn't that big a deal to learn new on any tool.

I might do the $179 deal as my "upgrade" since it will lead to version 22.....hmm.
cayenne

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
It’s only a matter of time before Capture One and all the other wannabe LR/PS replacements also switch to a subscription-only model.

We live in a strange world, where lots of folk complain about how much they pay for a subscription, calculating to the last cent whether A is better value than B.

But those same people often leap into spending vastly greater amounts on a new lens that might only be used a few times before being sold or confined to a cupboard for months on end. Or they’ll leap at a new body, that in all honesty won’t produce better shots than the one they already own.

My main considerations when choosing editing/DAM software were:
  1. how long will the company remain in business and provide continued support?
  2. does the software produce the level of quality that I seek?
  3. is the interface fast and intuitive to use?
  4. does it combine DAM and editing software into a single package that saves me time switching in and out of different programs?
No software is perfect. There will always be things that “another” software does better. I chose the one that, for me, offers the best compromises, which to me is more logical than saving a few dollars in a hobby that by definition is always going to be expensive.

Well, C1 at least offers a choice between purchasing license and subscription.

I rarely find any software out there improved each year to be sufficiently new or have new functionality that I can't live without.

So, I don't generally buy every year. Over time with me, at least, this seems to be cost efficient.

And as I've stated before on other threads, I just do NOT want to rent my software. I left all adobe products for just this reason.

If Adobe would allow the option of lifetime license purchase for a version, I'd likely consider using their tools again.

I replaced LR with On1 RAW and moved from there to C1 which I like now. I went to Affinity Photo to replace PS...and aside from a small learning curve I'm happy with AP and in many ways find it superior to PS. The engine underneath is MUCH faster for one.

And I bought AP years ago and so far, all updates have been free for me. I"ve been so impressed with their products, support and all, I bought their suite of Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer and Affinity Publisher.

Of course to each his own....if you prefer the subscription model, more power to you.

But I will not support any company that forces one to RENT their software.

And these days....it isn't like Adobe is the unchallenged superior product producer any more...other companies have caught up and in some case, surpassed them.

C

Upvote 0
I prefer LR for most photo editing tasks and I just like the workflow better.

However, being a product photographer I am forced to use C1 for the amazing tethering capabilities and live capture. It's indespensible. If LR had this capability I'd probably never use C1 again. Not needing the other tools much in C1, I typically buy a license and just don't upgrade. Hell I think I'm still on C1 11 and it works fine.

As was mentioned I think it's too expensive for what it is, especially compared to what you get with Adobe. I like the new Adobe model. I remember when Adobe used to charge upwards of $600+ per program.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Well, C1 at least offers a choice between purchasing license and subscription.

I rarely find any software out there improved each year to be sufficiently new or have new functionality that I can't live without.

So, I don't generally buy every year. Over time with me, at least, this seems to be cost efficient.

And as I've stated before on other threads, I just do NOT want to rent my software. I left all adobe products for just this reason.

If Adobe would allow the option of lifetime license purchase for a version, I'd likely consider using their tools again.

I replaced LR with On1 RAW and moved from there to C1 which I like now. I went to Affinity Photo to replace PS...and aside from a small learning curve I'm happy with AP and in many ways find it superior to PS. The engine underneath is MUCH faster for one.

And I bought AP years ago and so far, all updates have been free for me. I"ve been so impressed with their products, support and all, I bought their suite of Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer and Affinity Publisher.

Of course to each his own....if you prefer the subscription model, more power to you.

But I will not support any company that forces one to RENT their software.

And these days....it isn't like Adobe is the unchallenged superior product producer any more...other companies have caught up and in some case, surpassed them.

C
If you are happy with your choices that’s great, I wouldn’t try to coerce you into changing! But I don’t really understand why you loathe the subscription model so much. If everyone bought a lifetime licence, how would software companies make their money? I can tell you the answer to that - they’d triple the cost of the lifetime licence!

Seriously, it’s only a matter of time before all but the most basic image editors are subscription-only, so if you want added features, or if you update your bodies or lenses, you’ll unfortunately have to eventually support a company that forces you to rent.

If you intend to keep the same gear indefinitely, and don’t want or need improved functionality, then it might make more sense to purchase a lifetime licence for software that you like. But I’ve seen LR improve by leaps and bounds over the years. And in 3 weeks time when the latest update is released, LR will have AI masking, invertible masks and several other additional tools that will make it even better.

I’ve used LR for years, and currently use LR Classic, which for me is by far the most rounded and intuitive product, and provides image quality that satisfies me. Unlike most competing products it incorporates a superb DAM, and integrates seamlessly with PS on the relatively rare occasions when I need a pixel-based editor.

But as you say, each to their own. Enjoy your photography!

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
If you are happy with your choices that’s great, I wouldn’t try to coerce you into changing! But I don’t really understand why you loathe the subscription model so much. If everyone bought a lifetime licence, how would software companies make their money? I can tell you the answer to that - they’d triple the cost of the lifetime licence!

<snip>
Well, how did companies (like Adobe) make money and stay in business year after year using the license purchase model?

I mean, the rental model for software isn't actually all the old.

I don't like having to upgrade until the company actually makes improvements that I just can't live without. I also am not a fan of the subscription model doing upgrades at any given time that can break things, right in the middle of serious work.

It isn't like this hasn't happened more than a few times with Adobe in past year since CC came into being.

But I bought into C1 a version or two ago. I think maybe $299 or something....

I've not seen reason to upgrade till maybe the coming version 22. If it proves to be worth it to me, I'll upgrade for about $199 I think.

I guess I'm just older and old fashioned before anyone even thought about subscription software. Hell, I"m still used to the day when you went to a store and physically bought media to bring home to install. Even that wasn't that long ago.

I know "technically" you don't own the software, you're licensed to it...but aside from some semantics, you bought it. and you "owned" is and could install it on your computer and didn't have to have an internet connection to let it phone home, etc.

I prefer to keep as close to the older model as possible, it keeps more rights and control on the side of the customer which I believe it should reside.

C

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Well, how did companies (like Adobe) make money and stay in business year after year using the license purchase model?
They made a huge amount of money prior to introducing the subscription model, but although they had already dominated the professional market for years, they had not yet achieved maximum sales in the enthusiast market.

Once both markets had reached saturation point, it was pointless continuing with the no longer profitable licence model, so they switched to the subscription model. And don’t forget that it is those subscriptions that fund further development and new products.

None of the other brands have reached anywhere close to saturating the market with their products, so for the time being, they can attract more customers with the licence model. But if their success continues, as it almost certainly will, they too will ultimately find it necessary to switch to subscription-only. Just wait and see.

I’d be very surprised if it actually turned out cheaper to use Capture One (etc) in the long run. You spent $300 a couple of years ago, and are talking about spending another $200 in a couple of years time, so $500 for 4 years, without any intermediate upgrades.

But with Adobe you spend roughly the same amount over the same period, you get RAW upgrades almost immediately after each camera or lens is released, and you get valuable new features and performance upgrades every few weeks. Not only that, but in addition to LRClassic and CC, you get Photoshop, ACR, Bridge and a whole lot more, all in the basic package.

Now, if you genuinely prefer the *output* from other software, or the interface, that’s absolutely fine, it’s down to personal taste, but the economic argument doesn’t really hold water.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
They made a huge amount of money prior to introducing the subscription model, but although they had already dominated the professional market for years, they had not yet achieved maximum sales in the enthusiast market.

Once both markets had reached saturation point, it was pointless continuing with the no longer profitable licence model, so they switched to the subscription model. And don’t forget that it is those subscriptions that fund further development and new products.

None of the other brands have reached anywhere close to saturating the market with their products, so for the time being, they can attract more customers with the licence model. But if their success continues, as it almost certainly will, they too will ultimately find it necessary to switch to subscription-only. Just wait and see.

I’d be very surprised if it actually turned out cheaper to use Capture One (etc) in the long run. You spent $300 a couple of years ago, and are talking about spending another $200 in a couple of years time, so $500 for 4 years, without any intermediate upgrades.

But with Adobe you spend roughly the same amount over the same period, you get RAW upgrades almost immediately after each camera or lens is released, and you get valuable new features and performance upgrades every few weeks. Not only that, but in addition to LRClassic and CC, you get Photoshop, ACR, Bridge and a whole lot more, all in the basic package.

Now, if you genuinely prefer the *output* from other software, or the interface, that’s absolutely fine, it’s down to personal taste, but the economic argument doesn’t really hold water.
Aside from monetary concerns....it is also in VERY large part a principal thing.<P>

I don't believe any software package should be *rented*.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Aside from monetary concerns....it is also in VERY large part a principal thing.<P>

I don't believe any software package should be *rented*.
Hmmmm…

Do you pay your mortgage monthly? How about your gas and electricity bills? And your water and sewage bills? And how about your council tax (or whatever equivalent is in your country)?

And if you are in employment, you also pay your taxes monthly?

So to have a “principle” against paying for software monthly seems irrational to me.

Especially when it’s arguably cheaper than buying a licence every couple of years….

Upvote 0