Deal: Samyang RF 85mm f/1.4 UMC $249 (Reg $399)

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
One of the first third-party RF mount lenses is being heavily discounted at Adorama. The Samyang 85mm f/1.4 UMC Manual Focus Lens for Canon RF Mount is now only $249 (Reg $399).
Key Features

Matches and handles well with Canon’s new full-frame mirrorless cameras
Metal chassis, weather sealing, a metal aperture control with a slip-resistant matte finish,
Ultra Multi-Coating.
A very fast F1.4 maximum aperture for effective lowlight shooting, fast shutter speed capture
9 elements in 7 groups including one Hybrid-Aspherical element
Removable lens hood, a curved blade diaphragm for pleasing bokeh
Non-rotating 72mm filter mount
Highly effective optic for travel, candid, portrait, and close up photography
Lens Mount: Lens Mount: Canon EOS RF

Samyang RF 85mm f/1.4 $249 (Reg $399)

Continue reading...

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I have to admire anyone with good manual focus skills. This lens, and those like it, really appeal to me because of the price and they hearken back to simpler times. I have loads of MF lenses. The problem is that I am horrible at focusing them and getting a sharp photo, even with focus peaking.

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
I have to admire anyone with good manual focus skills. This lens, and those like it, really appeal to me because of the price and they hearken back to simpler times. I have loads of MF lenses. The problem is that I am horrible at focusing them and getting a sharp photo, even with focus peaking.

The magnify option can make this a lot easier. I use it in poor light with small stationary subjects because DPAF can struggle sometimes in those conditions.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
EOS R has a really handy manual focus assist feature.
Not with manual focus only lenses that do not have the electronics to communicate with the camera. I own the R and more than 40 mf lenses. The only focus assistance available is focus peaking, but the green mf focus assist tool does not work with any of those lenses. The lenses do not have the electronics required to accomplish that. This lens is no exception to that rule. Focus peaking helps, but it is no substitute for the focus assist tool.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2014
Not with manual focus only lenses that do not have the electronics to communicate with the camera. I own the R and more than 40 mf lenses. The only focus assistance available is focus peaking, but the green mf focus assist tool does not work with any of those lenses. The lenses do not have the electronics required to accomplish that. This lens is no exception to that rule. Focus peaking helps, but it is no substitute for the focus assist tool.
Hmmmm. Focus Assist on my EOS R works perfectly with my manual focus Rokinon 14mm F2. But that lens has a chip which allows communication with the camera.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Hmmmm. Focus Assist on my EOS R works perfectly with my manual focus Rokinon 14mm F2. But that lens has a chip which allows communication with the camera.
Try as I might, I can't find a Rokinon EF 14mm f/2 manual focus lens anywhere with a google search or at ebay. I'd be interested in such a lens. I have had M42 to EF adapters with a focus assist chip mounted on them to get the "beep" confirmation (the chips all eventually fall off).

The above mentioned Samyang 85mm f/1.4 UMC Manual Focus Lens has no electrical contacts. No mention of any chip either, which would require electrical contacts to function with the camera's focus assist feature.

Did you mean to say you have the 14mm f/2.8 pictured below? I'll be taking a good hard look at getting one. Thanks!

Attachments

• 1495471678_IMG_803453.jpg
    1495471678_IMG_803453.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 248
Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2014
Try as I might, I can't find a Rokinon EF 14mm f/2 manual focus lens anywhere with a google search or at ebay. I'd be interested in such a lens. I have had M42 to EF adapters with a focus assist chip mounted on them to get the "beep" confirmation (the chips all eventually fall off).

The above mentioned Samyang 85mm f/1.4 UMC Manual Focus Lens has no electrical contacts. No mention of any chip either, which would require electrical contacts to function with the camera's focus assist feature.

Did you mean to say you have the 14mm f/2.8 pictured below? I'll be taking a good hard look at getting one. Thanks!
Sorry for sending you on a goose chase. My bad. It is a 14mm F2.4.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
For those of us old enough to to have used manual focus cameras for many years before auto focus came around, I can say that now having used both for a long enough time, that auto focus cameras simply don’t work well with manual focus lenses. Back then, the split image rangefinder and micro prism ring, usually both being present, offered a bright, easy and fast method of focusing. I rarely missed a shot because of manual focus. But auto focus cameras, with every alternative technology intended to help manual focus, just doesn’t come close to those manual focus cameras when manually focusing.

in today’s Digiloyd ramblings, he notes the problems with Hasselblad’s manual focus assist with their mirrorless camera. it’s not a unique problem. I find that focus confirm for manual isn’t always correct. And magnify mode, and others, quite frankly, are a pain in the ass.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

magarity

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2017
Manual focus used to be not all that hard. It horribly difficult now because one has to go waaaaay out of one's way to get a split microprism focus ring in the viewfinder, if such a thing is even available for one's camera model (and usually it isn't). :mad:

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0