Dear Guys at Canon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lateiner

... I think something has gone wrong with you.
For example, look at the 5D Mark II. It has been out since 2008. That's a bit long for such a big company like you are, isn't it? Take me, for example. I'm interested in buying a full frame sensor, maybe with the ability to adapt Leica lenses to it (I'd rent them for filming. Tried it in the past, just was excited about it.)
First, I thought about a Nikon. Even you have to admit it: In Lowlight, the D700 beats your 5D. I think nobody will try to discuss that, I checked it on my own.
I'd rather buy a Nikon. I like rather buy the successor of the D700. Really. But I can't adapt Leica Lenses to it without changing something at the camera or the lens.
And: You've got the way better video quality. And your ergonomics is better.

At a day, I decided to buy the 5D MK2. I had gone to my dealer to buy two. But he wasn't able to get one or even two for me. He told me, that you've stopped producing of the MK2, and that you're producing the MK3 now. He said, that nobody would buy a 5D, except he needs it really.
That was a year ago. What has changed? Nothing. You still don't tell us something about a 5D successor. I have to take photos with my TZ7. I really want to use your equipment. But how should I do so? I won't buy a Mk2. I just won't do it until you release a Mk3. If this gets crappy, I'll buy the Mk2 anyway. But not now, not until you release information what will be new on a new cam so I can decide whether to buy it or leave it in favor of the MK2.

I think I'm not the only one that handles it like me.
I think you'll read this entry, you guys at Canon. Do not think you can mess around with your costumers. Remember: Your cam is 3 years old. It's time for a new release. This year.

Lateiner.

T

Tarrum

Are you kidding? You seriously took the time to write this...First, even if everyone in Canon reads it they won't even bother about it (the big guys at such companies don't even get to see the mails and stuff).

Second, Nikon and Canon both haven't announced the budget full frame models for more than 3 years. If you'd need the D700 you'd already go with it and wouldn't write about it here.

Why do you complain? Years ago, one brand had something, then the other one striked back. Canon doesn't care if you need adapters or not, they're here for the money and these guys are smart when it comes to marketing, timing and pricing - just like all other Japanese companies.

Upvote 0
N

necator

Are you serious?

According to your post, you are currently using a Panasonic TZ7, a superzoom compact cam.
And then you are worrying about Low Light capability of the 5D2? Seriously? Seriously?

Let me tell you: Even the 5D classic blows away a TZ7 there (and everywhere else, except for filming). So would also a 600D (everywhere INCLUDING filming).

You also know, that a 5D3 will probably cost 1000 bucks more than the current 5D2 at the beginning?
If you want to hear my suggestion (you are probably not interested in it):
Buy yourself a 600D. It's better than the TZ7. In every regard except for size. Same sensor than the 7D. Far cheaper then the 5D2, but since you want to wait for the 5D3 you can at least take pictures with something better than a TZ7.

And, opposed to some here, I don't think the 5D2 is overdue. On the best it is due to a upgrade. The xD-Series has upgrade cycles of about 3-4 years, and given the pricing, that's also a good thing: You don't have to spend a that high amount of money on a disposable part of your gear (the (digital) body is the part of the gear, which looses value fastest).
And why should the 5D2 be overdue? Heck, still the 5D classic holds up pretty well if photography is the concern. The AF-System needs to be reworked, yes. Heck, even all the hyped Nikon fullframes are still 12MP ...

Upvote 0
C

Cannon Man

Aaaah, such lovely replys to a not so lovely question. Im sure a BIG company like Canon knows what its doing! Its not like they've been in the business for a really long time and the whole time they have been innovative coming up with revolutionary techology all these years and why in the world whould they stop evolving now? In a 1D Mark IV interview the developer of the camera said that they work on improving the AF on they're cameras every single day!

I too am excited when canon will release new pro camera models but untill then i will love using my 1D Mark IV's and excellent glass from Canon.

Upvote 0
G

Gothmoth

Lateiner said:
... I think something has gone wrong with you.

no.. it´s more that something is wrong with you. ::)

if you think nikon is better for you .. go buy a nikon... nobody cares what you use.

At a day, I decided to buy the 5D MK2. I had gone to my dealer to buy two. But he wasn't able to get one or even two for me. He told me, that you've stopped producing of the MK2, and that you're producing the MK3 now.
That was a year ago.

i would call that a plain lie.
i have four 5D MK2 on my shelf here. got them 3 weeks ago.

ps: if you want that somebody from canon reads your stuff.... i would send this letter to canon not to a rumor website. ::)

Upvote 0
N

Nickbroberts

I've recently returned from holiday in the US. It's my 6th trip over there in 14 years. Every trip has been accompanied by EOS gear, but this is the first time that my main camera has been the same as the previous trip - a 5D II. And you know what, I'm not clamouring for an update, because the 5D II remains the best camera I've ever used, and the improvements I would want to see are pretty small. 7D-style AF? Possibly, but OTOH I quite like the fact that I don't have to spend time setting up the AF for each shoot. Faster shooting rate? 3.9 fps will do me - I use my 7D for actions shots anyway. Better video? I'm happy with it as it stands. All I would like is a 60D/600D style LCD, and the return of the DEP mode. And possibly ECF... but none of these stop this camera from being pretty much exactly what I need now, as it was when I bought it, and still the camera I would buy now if I were at that purchase point.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.