Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div id="fb_share_1" style="float: right; margin-left: 10px;"><a name="fb_share" type="box_count" share_url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/02/deep-hidden-meanings-eos-6d3d/" href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php">Share</a></div><div><script src="http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/connect.php/js/FB.Share" type="text/javascript"></script></div><div class="tweetmeme_button" style="float: right; margin-left: 10px;"><a class="tm_button" rel="&style=normal&b=2" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/02/deep-hidden-meanings-eos-6d3d/"></a></div>
<p><strong>Hmmmmm</strong>

There was a rumor in the past that I said came from the “<a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/01/from-the-land-of-crazy-cr0/">land of crazy</a>“. After the post a few people piped up and said there was <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/01/land-of-crazy-not-so-crazy-cr1-5/">actually something to the rumor</a>.</p>
<p>The person that originally sent me the info also gave me two hints today based on the invititation sent to Swedish journalists.</p>
<p>1) Pay attention to the low light situation of the image.</p>
<p>2) The Number Six and Feng Shui symbols <a href="http://www.squidoo.com/feng-shui-symbols">http://www.squidoo.com/feng-shui-symbols</a></p>
<p><!--more--></p>
<p><strong>CR’s Take</strong>

Do I think Canon’s marketing department is creative enough to have deep meanings in the images on invitations? In a word, no.</p>
<p>However, I have never had a source be so adamant that what is being told to us is true. I’m hoping for some additional information from other sources.</p>
<p>I do want to thank the source for their continued good humor, I am enjoying it.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

W

Wahoowa

After reading a lot of rumors here lately, it sounds to me like there will be two mid-level FF cameras from Canon:

1) a body that has higher resolution (~24MP or so) that is a replacement of 5DII, and
2) a body that has lower resolution (~16.7MP) that has better noise control at high ISO.

I really want a new FF body to kick my 7D to my backup body, but I may have to be patient to see what Canon will do this year.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I don't think there's a hidden meaning behind all this. If there is, the 6 would probably stand for the 600D, because a 6D wouldn't make much sense in the current lineup - the 5D2 already is the "baby FF camera", with most of it's specs bested by the "old" 50D (except for the sensor and some software features like video).

If this was Apple, there sure would be a hidden meaning behind it, but I can't remember seeing Canon doing stuff like that.

Upvote 0
L

logaandm

Sometimes it is right in front of your face....

1. Canon likely has shown a pictures from the advertising for the new camera.

2. Canon always has only photographs taken with the new body except for those photographs of the camera itself.

3. The photograph of the cranes is taken in low light with a very wide angle lens.

4. The only low light wide angle lens is the 16-35 f2.8 and it is only wide angle on a FF body.

Therefore, new camera is FF. Eithere that or they are going to announce a new printer.

Now if I could only count the pixels.....

Upvote 0

Isurus

CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
Wisconsin
I'd say that the 24mm f/1.4 L II is also a low light wide-angle, even more so than that 16-35 actually. Although, it is still only wide on a FF.

I'm still guessing it is just a printer and possibly a rebel. Maybe they printed the invite on the new printer or something. I just have a hard time believing they'll be announcing a new FF camera within a week without any leaks of the body yet. With the Internet the way it is now, pretty much everything leaks before hand (see Apple products, for example).

logaandm said:

2. Canon always has only photographs taken with the new body except for those photographs of the camera itself.

3. The photograph of the cranes is taken in low light with a very wide angle lens.

4. The only low light wide angle lens is the 16-35 f2.8 and it is only wide angle on a FF body.

Therefore, new camera is FF. Eithere that or they are going to announce a new printer.

Now if I could only count the pixels.....

Upvote 0
D

daniel charms

logaandm said:

An interesting conjecture, except the photo was taken at least a year ago - it was also used in an announcement for an exhibition of Brutus Östling's (the author of the photo) works taking place in summer 2010, published at the end of April. Could this hypothetical camera really have existed already a year ago? I have no idea.

Upvote 0
J

JRSJ

daniel charms said:
logaandm said:

An interesting conjecture, except the photo was taken at least a year ago - it was also used in an announcement for an exhibition of Brutus Östling's (the author of the photo) works taking place in summer 2010, published at the end of April. Could this hypothetical camera really have existed already a year ago? I have no idea.

SNAP!

Open and shut case, Johnson. ;)

Upvote 0
E

edphoto

JRSJ said:
daniel charms said:
logaandm said:

SNAP!

Open and shut case, Johnson. ;)

Jip, besides the fact that this image is a year old, the brightness of the gold/yellow colouration on the egret closest to the camera is completely different to the other birds, the sun direction is also coming from the right side of the camera and the shadows are quite a bit brighter, tells me that either a speedlight with a gel or a reflector was used (nice model... ;) ) to light the egret.

Low light, no ways, my 350D could pull this off with a 10-22mm on easily!

I reckon its gonna be a printer :'(

Upvote 0
G

Grummbeerbauer

I guess the "land of the crazy" spec list would make a lot of people in Canon land really happy, as this one would finally be an answer to Nikon's D700 which beats 5DII in every aspect except resolution (and, oh yes, and the video feature, about which I don't care, though).
What I don't like about the spec list is the quoted price - the only area where this rumored body clearly beats the 2,5 years old D700 is resolution (and only barely), they can't be asking over 1500$ more than the MSRP(!) of the D700. However, if at least after they ripped of the early adopters, this body would end up somewhere in the area of <3500$ (or for us Europeans in the <2800€ range, mind you, the 5DII is <1900€ at the moment!), it might stop me from considering switching to the yellow camp.
Considering the pricing of the 7D against the D300s, we know that the Canon executives have indeed not lost all touch with reality, so a more reasonable price is a possibility. If, however, they stick to their strategy of "protecting" their holy cow 1D(s) series by a combination of overpricing and/or underspecing other bodies, I and probably many others will join the crowd that already jumped ship.

Upvote 0
F

Flake

this one would finally be an answer to Nikon's D700 which beats 5DII in every aspect except resolution (and, oh yes, and the video feature, about which I don't care, though).

I sometimes wonder what planet some people are on! Some of us believe that the colour rendition of the 5D MkII are very good, and the resolution is a major issue!

The much vaunted low light performance of the D700 is crippled by an autofocus at f/5.6 which gives up way before the 5D MkII with it's more sensitive f/2.8 centre spot. A friend & I took both cameras out at night both of them had Sigma 70 - 200mm f/2.8 lenses on, she ended up so frustrated that the Nikon refused to focus lock on anything when the Canon was quite happily managing.

So where does the D700 outperform the 5D MkII? Certainly not image quality which after all is what a camera is all about. The focus system is better for action photography, but for studio and landscape the Canon is adequate enough.

So I'll ask the question again - where does the D700 outperform the 5D MkII ?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.