Did you get/treat yourself to anything new during the holidays?

I treated myself to a used 7D MarkII. Camera store knocked off the price of used gear after Christmas Day, and, to my surprise, was even less than the website price, which was lower than the week before. (On the other hand they didn't give me much for my 60D). It was so unexpected I decided not to buy a used 200 F2.8L Good news is it has less than 10K on the shutter. Bad news is I'll be asking the forum lots of foolish questions on how to set it up.....
Was December good to you?

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
The 7D2 is one tough camera That’s the one you reach for when it is raining, for ocean spray, for below freezing days, and just about any nasty occasion.

Going to it from a 60D, you will find that the AF system is a lot more complicated! You definitely want to get some practice in and to experiment with the settings. Also, if you shoot under fluorescent lights, check out the flicker detection...... it was introduced on the 7D2 and every camera afterwards has it, and for good reason!

Enjoy your new toy!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Jay.
As Don says, a tough camera.
Some of the very early units had a known issue, tilted sensor I think, and some will not have been fixed!
If it is an early unit (check the serial no) check for sharp focus across the frame after AFMA with the camera locked down and a flat target well lit (not flash as you want to allow the focus to work).
I’m sure there is plenty more info on this issue and what to look for, there was plenty here at the time, as well as lots of confusion on the web in general from people testing hand held on moving targets and joining the melee and creating miss information! o_O
After saying all that please don’t be disheartened. When they are good they are very good!
Also there are not stupid questions, just questions you don’t know the answer to until the third time you ask the same question! ;)(y)

Enjoy your new body, looking forwards to seeing some shots taken with it.

Cheers, Graham.
PS I got enough stuff I didn’t want to ensure that next time I provide a wish list with more on than just an EF 600 L (secondhand of course).. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I bought an aftermarket power pack for my 600ex-rt (version 1) from Adorama. It appears to be identical to B&H's Bolt brand (as well as one branded "Aodelan"), but at a much better price. Works great with Eneloops, recycling extremely fast. Only con is the orientation of the plug that goes into the Speedlite--it seems backwards because it makes the cord stick out forward, which is especially awkward on-camera with shorter lenses. The cord, I think, should be pointing back towards the body, not drooping over the front of short lenses. (I wonder if Canon's has this same issue? For the price difference, I can live with it!) It does come with a nice pouch that can hang very nicely on a light stand (or comfortably on a belt).

From what I understand, though, this won't recycle fast enough on the newer 600ex-rt II, limited to only one shot per two seconds! Apparently the newer Speedlite has something in the firmware that only allows it to recycle ultra-fast on the newest version of Canon's own power pack. (Reminds me of after-market camera batteries and AF issues with Sigma lenses. Hmmm.)

Here's the link to the Adorama branded model: https://www.adorama.com/gxppcb12ca.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
No nothing for me, but I am planning on getting a new MacBook Pro and iPad Pro early in the New Year, I am very interested in the video editing possible with the new iPad along with a few other features. GoPro and drone footage is being edited really well on the iPad so I'm looking forwards to that, also it will consolidate my move to almost 100% USB-C, only the 1DX MkII's will be lagging behind. Makes an R look more interesting, I wonder what they will put in the 1DX MkIII and how many pixels it will have? Hmm......

Oh, I did get a couple of SanDisk Extreme SSD's, darn they are fast and tiny, and at $330 on special on Amazon, nearly affordable :)

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I pity the other nine purchasers....

yup, that was exactly my thought. copy to copy variation is quite substantial with this Sigma lens. not that all of them were horrible just not as exciting.

the softest was barely scratching 1500 mark and my lens touched 1980 at infinity. I am still in disbelief that this even possible. Reikan database indicates 1660 being the top shelf result for the lens. 1980 is a massively better result.

http://focalbench.com/Sigma 85mm f_1.4 EX DG HSM_fa.html

Sigma%2085mm%20f_1.4%20EX%20DG%20HSM_fa_afmaprofile.png

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I pity the other nine purchasers....
I'm trying to teach my four-year old not toss the rest after just eating the skin off honey-garlic wings.

I know Canon has variation too, but this much? And now will the Sigma AF reliably? Might be technically sharper, but only when it hits. And then Canon has a bonus called, "Image Stabilization."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rockskipper

Somewhere skipping rocks and taking photos
Apr 20, 2017
I ordered myself a copy of the new book by photographer Paul Souders: Arctic Solitaire: A Boat, a Bay, and the Quest for the Perfect Bear

51%2BJxkQsTUL._SX399_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1680511041/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It came highly recommended by the Alaska Daily News. Hasn't yet arrived.

This book had its origins in the journals and notes I kept during four solo boat trips to Canada’s Hudson Bay, in the summers between 2012 and 2015. I went north to photograph polar bears, and at each day’s end, I scribbled down, in long hand, my experiences as a photographer and accident-prone boater. It is, at its heart, a personal recounting of my impressions and memories from travels during which I was often tired and afraid and very much alone.
These northern journeys began as a sort of lark: could I step out my front door and travel overland to the shores of a cold and mysterious sea, then head off by boat to see wild animals and have some adventures? I never thought to ask whether any of this was possible, advisable, or even strictly legal.
Anyone reading these words with a working knowledge of seamanship or boat mechanics will laugh or wince, as I do now, at my ineptitude. Think of this not as a how-to manual so much as a cautionary tale.
--Paul Souders.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I ordered myself a copy of the new book by photographer Paul Souders: Arctic Solitaire: A Boat, a Bay, and the Quest for the Perfect Bear

51%2BJxkQsTUL._SX399_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1680511041/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It came highly recommended by the Alaska Daily News. Hasn't yet arrived.

This book had its origins in the journals and notes I kept during four solo boat trips to Canada’s Hudson Bay, in the summers between 2012 and 2015. I went north to photograph polar bears, and at each day’s end, I scribbled down, in long hand, my experiences as a photographer and accident-prone boater. It is, at its heart, a personal recounting of my impressions and memories from travels during which I was often tired and afraid and very much alone.
These northern journeys began as a sort of lark: could I step out my front door and travel overland to the shores of a cold and mysterious sea, then head off by boat to see wild animals and have some adventures? I never thought to ask whether any of this was possible, advisable, or even strictly legal.
Anyone reading these words with a working knowledge of seamanship or boat mechanics will laugh or wince, as I do now, at my ineptitude. Think of this not as a how-to manual so much as a cautionary tale.
--Paul Souders.
Sounds like an interesting read....

I used to work up north and have been tracked by them several times. The guy I was working with hit one in the head when he opened a door (quite exciting, and the door was very strong). We even had one chase us when we were in a motorboat and it could swim almost as fast as the boat...

They are fascinating creatures. They look so cute and they consider us as food..... not a good combination for photography! I am sure that his stories are great. Let me know how you liked the book, I might get a copy myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0