Does anyone use Affinity Photo instead of Lightroom and Photoshop

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
Yesterday I was on this Photopils Milky Way Photography Post Processing Masterclass with Nick Page on YouTube and a number of folks mentioned in the comments that they moved to Affinity Photo from Lightroom/Photoshop and are happy. Does anyone use this? I had a look at their web page https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/ and it looks very interesting. It is a license purchase at US$ 49.99. It has a free trial too. I will check it out. Apparently it can use Photoshop plugins too!

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
I have affinity and don't use it much.. but on occasion I do. I used some of the stacking on that for star trails and it worked great!

pros - its powerful and can do most photoshop functions, but its not like lightroom... the price is one time and not that high which is phenomenal and worth it even if you only use it occassionally. I've upgraded it years later for free. Look at that.. a new upgrade just today, downloading it... free. Amazing price.

My problem is the learning curve.. like photoshop it's nasty big and I don't have the patience, their file handling and work flow.. definitely not lightroom or On1 ... it doesn't show the preview on the RAW so never know what I'm opening and it opens one at a time.

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
I have affinity and don't use it much.. but on occasion I do. I used some of the stacking on that for star trails and it worked great!

pros - its powerful and can do most photoshop functions, but its not like lightroom... the price is one time and not that high which is phenomenal and worth it even if you only use it occassionally. I've upgraded it years later for free. Look at that.. a new upgrade just today, downloading it... free. Amazing price.

My problem is the learning curve.. like photoshop it's nasty big and I don't have the patience, their file handling and work flow.. definitely not lightroom or On1 ... it doesn't show the preview on the RAW so never know what I'm opening and it opens one at a time.
Thanks @snappu604. That helps. So I'll do some research, download the free trial and see for myself. No preview on RAW is a big downer...

Thanks again.

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Been using it for years now. I do a lot of panos and stitching with it and am rarely dissapointed with results.
It's easy to learn especially for photographers that really only need a subset of the functionality. Remember that its actually a suit of apps that fully integrate with each other with a common project format, a lot of graphics artists are using/moving to it. Because it's new(ish) the codebase is modern (and clean). Key things for me, everything can be done on adjustments (non destructive) so i cant think of when I've ever had to do anything that i couldn't reverse.
The downside, forget the raw development module, sadly and frankly they just got it so wrong it could have been genius but i suspect that project file sizes would have been an issue, ah well perhaps that will be the big thing in v2. Also there is no cataloguing feature which for me goes hand in hand with raw development. There has been rumours for ages about this but for now nothing. Working in combination with DXO or C1 and tiff output works well for me anyway for the ace noise reduction.
Have fun!

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
I have it and have been dabbling with it over the last couple of days for some negative scanning. I screwed up on the setup for my Canon FD slide duplicator, you cannot fit a 1 series on above the rail so I have to use a crop body and stitch the images together.
It seems to have some quirks, like I can’t find out how to rotate an image, or more accurately I can rotate the image, but not the canvas, this causes the image to loose area. I guess this comes under steep learning curve.
The panorama stitch seems to do a good job on a 3x3 series of images, I have been processing them in DxO and then blending the jpegs, it is only for a birthday card so no need to learn how to process raw negative images on unfamiliar software!:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
I can’t find out how to rotate an image, or more accurately I can rotate the image, but not the canvas, this causes the image to loose area. I guess this comes under steep learning curve.
...... so no need to learn how to process raw negative images on unfamiliar software!:ROFLMAO:
The canvas can be rotated three ways for very different reasons and affect.
1. By right clicking on the image and select rotate-right/left/reset
but I suspect that's not what you were looking for this is like rotating the image to work on it at a different angle not actually rotating the image. More like rotating your computer screen.

2. Document menu - all the rotates/flips in there, rotates/flips all layers and canvas, no clipping.

3. Free hand rotate of a layer or layers which sounds like what you are doing, click (or shift click 15 deg incr.) and drag a corner handle
the layer(s) may be clipped but not trimmed against the canvas depending on how big the canvas is. Easy fixed by Document menu - Unclip Canvas

Hope this helps

Glad you didn't waist time on the RAW side of things! :cool:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Zim.
Thank you For taking the time to explain this.

Cheers, Graham

The canvas can be rotated three ways for very different reasons and affect.
1. By right clicking on the image and select rotate-right/left/reset
but I suspect that's not what you were looking for this is like rotating the image to work on it at a different angle not actually rotating the image. More like rotating your computer screen.

2. Document menu - all the rotates/flips in there, rotates/flips all layers and canvas, no clipping.

3. Free hand rotate of a layer or layers which sounds like what you are doing, click (or shift click 15 deg incr.) and drag a corner handle
the layer(s) may be clipped but not trimmed against the canvas depending on how big the canvas is. Easy fixed by Document menu - Unclip Canvas

Hope this helps

Glad you didn't waist time on the RAW side of things! :cool:

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I use Affinity all the time. Daily more often than not.

For me, a lifelong Photoshop user, it came to me easily and once you're used to it it is more intuitive (for me) than Photoshop.

So far I haven't found anything in terms of developing, editing, etc that it can't do.

For RAW processing I use DxO (screw subscriptions) then go into Affinity or Topaz Studio or one of my other editing tools to finish post.

Upvote 0
I have it and have only used it really for panorama stitching and focus stacking. Tends to crash our old 2013 iMac. We have a new M1 Mini in the way with 16 GB ram so I’m interested to see what kind of performance improvement we see.

I develop raw files in DPP4. It’s simple enough. Has all the canon lens corrections and colors. Then I mess with JPEGs or if I really want to trigger a crash, I’ll try a couple TIFFs.

I understand the latest update is ready for M1 so hopefully I can explore the program more without needing a couple and crashes for every stitching effort.

Still, for $25 and free updates, really happy with the results.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I believe all of the Affinity products are still on sale....$25 each.

Hard to beat at that price, $25 each for Affinity Photo, Designer and Publisher.

I got all 3 for desktop and also got the iPad versions which are amazing what they can do even on a 2017 iPad Pro!!!!!
(focus stacking about 20 RAW images from a 5D3 on Affinity Photo on an iPad Pro 10.5" 2017 model...took only a minute or two...no crashing, and did quite a good job!!

I have to imagine it will do amazing stuff on the new M1 iPad.

But I digress.

I love Affinity Photo on the desktop too. I came from Photoshop and the concepts are all there, just the keyboard short cuts and some ways of doing "common" PS things are done a bit different.

I find it frustrating the lack of documentation and video tuts that show many of the things I commonly did with PS. One thing I REALLY hate, is that you can't simply alt- hit your pen on your tablet to select a color for the paintbrush...you have to actually drag it a bit to select the color.

Not a major thing, but it really slows me down when I'm trying to paint out something in AP...with lots of tiny sample and paints to blend in, etc.

However, there's more to love about it to me than hate.

It has been built from the ground up with new processing engines....and in many ways it still out performs PS.

So far, it has all the capabilities I used PS for. Only recently has PS, to me, made improvements over the CS6 version I left off with that would have had me consider upgrading it.

I do NOT like the *rental* model that Adobe went to, I like to pay for my software, and decide when I feel I need and upgrade, not to pay for it perpetuity and never at least own a license.

Affinity Photo, I bought years back and they've been giving free upgrades all this time. I kinda force maybe when they get to 2.0, there's rumors that they may charge for that update. I'm sure they'll give current users a discount....I'd pay when I needed the upgrade.

But I like that I don't RENT my software.

Now, to the original question....AP is pretty much a direct replacement for PS.

But it is not an LR tool....just like PS is not a LR tool. You use these pixel editors to do the heavy lifting on an image(s)...compositing, really detailed replacements, pano/focus stacking...compositing.

For RAW work, which for most people is about 99% of what they do...a LR replacement would be like On1 RAW or Capture One (I have both, I'm currently doing more in C1)....these have cataloging functionality, which I feel is very important for organizing. I do most of my work in there.

Anyway, like it has been mentioned here already, most of these tools have a free trial period, give it a whirl....if you've used PS or LR, you have the basic concepts to use pretty much another type tool....just some key shortcuts or workflows might be a little different, but as long as you know the concepts, learning or remapping keyboard shortcuts isn't rocket surgery....just take a little time to develop me muscle memory.

Hope that helps.

cayenne

Upvote 0
Photoshop as well as Affinity Photo are raster-based and feature-rich photo-editing software. Whether you should go for Photoshop or you select Affinity Photo would typically depend on your unique needs.

If you want a less pricy option, then you may consider using Affinity. You will not only save a lot of bucks, but you would be able to utilize some of its most powerful features.

However, if you are using multiple Adobe programs, then switching to Affinity may not sound wise. Photoshop is highly compatible with the Creative Cloud Suite. If you are already using the complete Photoshop Suite, Affinity Photo would just bring you additional costs on top of the Photoshop subscription that you are already paying for.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
<snip>

However, if you are using multiple Adobe programs, then switching to Affinity may not sound wise. Photoshop is highly compatible with the Creative Cloud Suite. If you are already using the complete Photoshop Suite, Affinity Photo would just bring you additional costs on top of the Photoshop subscription that you are already paying for.
It also depends on what all adobe tools of the suite you are using.

Affinity also offers Designer and Publisher which work well together with Affinity Photo as a suite.

So, if you are using the Adobe analogs of those, then you might be able to switch over to Affinity a bit easier.

Of course while they are VERY similar for controls and shortcuts...there are some differences so there will be a bit of a learning curve.

One thing to consider with Affinity, it is brand new from the ground up, the engines are more modern and fun often quite faster than the adobe equivalents doing the same tasks.

There are something in adobe photo and others that are not in the Affinity lineup and of course you should do some research to make sure these aren't things you use regularly and would miss...but so far, I find little in Affinity tools that I needed in adobe, but again, you need to research.

Affinity offers free trials of all their tools, full working versions...so, won't hurt you to download and give a try. And keep an eye out, they do go on sale from time to time. I'd mentioned earlier in this thread, not long back each for those 3 apps were only $25/each....

And I bought in a long time ago, and ALL updates have been free, I've not had to pay another cent yet and they've had some amazing updates...and latest just added speed as a major plus.

Also, I'd put in that their iPad equivalents....well, Affinity Photo on an iPad Pro can't be touched by any other company's offering to date.

Anyway, more food for thought.

C

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I use Affinity Photo and Capture One after having used Photoshop for since version 2 or 3 till the latest CC of 2019. I don't miss Photoshop and I never liked the workflow in Lightroom. Aperture was to me the best RAW catalog and editor, especially the stacks for managing and picking the best of a burst. After Aperture died I gave both Lightroom and Capture One a year each and quite frankly the RAW processor and editing tools in Capture One made Lightroom Classic and CC look like a toy. As for Affinity Photo, the learning curve was a bit much compared to Photoshop, but thats mostly because I had multiple decades on Photoshop.

Upvote 0
I use Affinity Photo for all my photo editing works. It’s a great tool for professional retouching and is a cost-effective alternative to both Photoshop and Lightroom. I never felt the need to switch to Photoshop since many of the Affinity Photo tools are similar to Photoshop, which was just enough for my projects. However, do know that it lacks importing support and photo management tools. If this doesn’t bother you, then just go for it.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I use Affinity Photo for all my photo editing works. It’s a great tool for professional retouching and is a cost-effective alternative to both Photoshop and Lightroom. I never felt the need to switch to Photoshop since many of the Affinity Photo tools are similar to Photoshop, which was just enough for my projects. However, do know that it lacks importing support and photo management tools. If this doesn’t bother you, then just go for it.
Well, AP isn't a photo management tool really.

Like people combine use of LR and PS...I combine Capture One and Affinity Photo for my processing and management needs.

Upvote 0
Most of the time, I use Lightroom and Photoshop to process photos. For comparison, I decided to try Affinity Photo and processed a few photos from my last shoot. The first advantage I noticed is that the program takes up quite a little space compared to the others. Affinity Photo is very easy and quick to remove noise from photos, whereas it's harder to do in Photoshop. You can also adjust the performance settings to allow it to use more RAM and space. After one treatment, I decided to frame some professionally processed photos and give them to clients. I found quality photo framing services at theframeroom.com. In the end, I got some cool pictures.

Last edited:
Upvote 0