Does Canon ET-101 Lens Hood for RF 800mm f/11 fit over 95mm filter?

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I just bought on Amazon a look-alike copy of the ET-101 hood (a JJC LH-101) for the RF 800mm f/11. At present, I have a Marumi 95mm filter on the lens to protect it in the absence of a hood. The knock-off filter doesn't fit over the filter. Does the original lens hood fit over such a filter? The diameter of the lens casing looks pretty slim and maybe it is a problem of the knurled ring of this particular filter being on the large side - I have used it with no problems on other 95mm filter lenses, and it doesn't affect IQ, though I tend not to use filters on telephotos and prefer just a lens hood.

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
I picked up the JJC hood version as well. Still waiting for the Canon version I ordered back in February. The JJC hood fits easily over my B+W 95mm CPL. The companion B+W UV Haze filter is probably still on the Tamron 150-600 I loaned out to a friend so I wasn't able to test it but I'm sure it would work.

I typically don't use protection filters much these days. I'm pretty careful and have never damaged a lens/filter by drops, etc. in 40+ years of photography, but it may happen some day. I use functional filters like CPLs and NDs, and clear filters in inclement weather for weather sealing purposes. I do put protection filters on the lenses that I loan out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I purchased the aftermarket JJC hood on Ebay and it works perfectly on my RF800, with a clear 95mm protective filter attached, as well. It works in both shooting and reversed storage position. I should mention there is no sliding window on my JJC hood to allow for access to circular polarizer filter, a minor inconvenience.
As I wrote, the JJC hood didn't fit over the 95mm filter on mine. Maybe it needs a slim fit filter. Was yours a very tight fit?

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
As I wrote, the JJC hood didn't fit over the 95mm filter on mine. Maybe it needs a slim fit filter. Was yours a very tight fit?
I'm using 95mm slim, clear protection filter, Mfg. by Ice, purchased on Amz and am able to use with both filter installed, lens cap attached and hood fits easily over my 800 lens, in either position, Alan. Priced at under $20.00, I had my doubts and was skeptical about the quality of this filter but have been impressed with the metal filter rim and glass, so far. Could it just be your filter brand and/or size? Do you have a friend with a 95mm filter different than yours that you might try? Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0