DPP4 and using GPUs to speed it up?

For those who have an Nvidia GPU, does it significantly speed up DPP4? The whole thing is quite slow on my system and takes around 20 seconds to completely load an image until the spinning circle stops at the bottom right of the image. DPP3 was a lot faster. I have a Intel Core i5 4670k, 24GB RAM, AMD RX 470. I know the CPU is quite old but it runs everything else without a problem except for DPP4. Is there any way I can get my AMD RX 470 to speed it up or am I out of luck?

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
@SnowMiku I don't use DPP4, but I had time to check how what you described runs.

Did you check to see if you can enable the option here?
Under Tools>Preferences>Image Processing 2>Graphic processor settings, do you have the box checked? (it's a dual purpose checkmark for viewing/editing).

Now for my results... (note: I'm running latest and greatest from AMD & Nvidia, w/ 32GB of ram).

When loading a folder to view images (max size/quality jpg & cr3 mixed), I noticed a slight improvement w/ GPU acceleration on vs when off. Barely any difference for first initial load of the image (cr3), as both were almost instant. However, for your example... it just seems slow to get that spinning circle to finish after initial load (cr3).

When I first loaded the program it took 19 seconds regardless of GPU being enabled or not to load the cr3's. However, I also noticed I had the "Cannot apply Digital Lens Optimizer. Use the tool palette to download the lens data." mouse-over message showing. So after figuring out how to download the lens profiles, I reran the tests.

The spinning circle then took 1min 9 seconds to stop w/o GPU. Ran again w/ GPU and it took about 51 seconds. To remove the spindle drive as being a bottleneck (large 7200rpm), I used images on my M2 and reran w/ GPU and that took 44 seconds to finish spinning... so there is a disk factor in the spinning circle.

Since I didn't originally have the lens data loaded, I can only assume the extra overhead is coming from applying that.

I checked a few jpgs to see what that would do in regards to the spinning circle, and it was virtually instant (<=1 sec) with GPU and maybe 1-2 seconds to stop spinning w/o GPU.

@GreenViper It sounds like you were using DxO PhotoLab since you mentioned DeepPRIME. I believe the OP is specifically talking about Cannon's Digital Photo Professional 4. I almost made the same mistake... and was just about to open that program too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@GreenViper I've never used DeepPrime before, is that a Raw editor like Digital Photo Professional 4?

@Bdbtoys Thank you for the detailed response.

The use graphics processor for image processing is grayed out for me because I have an AMD card.

I tried moving some RAWs to my SSD instead of my WD Black, but it made no difference in my case but that's probably because I have an old Sata SSD.

On my 700D CR2 files it takes about 6 seconds to finish loading, but strangely on my M5 and 90D it takes about the same 20 seconds even though the 90D has 31MP compared to the M5 24MP. On the 90D RAW and C-RAW made no difference.

When I use the Digital Lens Optimizer it takes about 20sec on the 700D, 50 seconds for the M5, 60 seconds for the 90D.
JPGs are pretty instant for me as well, just takes a second.

I guess I'll just have to upgrade if I want it to go any faster.

Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
@SnowMiku DeepPRIME is an intensive repair tool that is part of DxO PhotLab 4. The latter being a photo manager + editor suite.

I don't believe you can make it go faster w/ better hardware (there is literally no upgrade I could do to make it go quicker). I think that's just how it works.

Note I'm using CR3's generated from an R5.

Upvote 0
@SnowMiku DeepPRIME is an intensive repair tool that is part of DxO PhotLab 4. The latter being a photo manager + editor suite.

I don't believe you can make it go faster w/ better hardware (there is literally no upgrade I could do to make it go quicker). I think that's just how it works.

Note I'm using CR3's generated from an R5.
I'll give DxO Photolab 4 a go.
I tried out a sample R5 CR3 file to compare to yours, and my PC is a lot slower then yours, it took 92 seconds to load the R5 CR3 with the Digital Lens Optimizer compared to your 44 seconds. So your PC would probably only take a few seconds for a 90D CR3. Which CPU and GPU do you have? Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0