DPReview: Canon EOS R5 and R6 overheating claims tested: cameras work as promised – but that’s not enough

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
DPReview has completed their own testing of the various video record times for both the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6.
As we’ve seen, the cameras do record to Canon’s claims, but with the same huge caveat. You only get these times from a completely cooled camera. So that means the times change when you use LiveView, shoot stills, or shoot any shorter length of video, doing that over and over will eventually lead to overheating. The EOS R5 took about an hour in the DPReview test to get back to normal temperature. The surprising thing DPReview found, is that the EOS R6 will generally record longer, but it takes longer to cool down.
DPReview gives a few suggestions for maximizing your recording time with both the

[url=https://www.canonrumors.com/dpreview-canon-eos-r5-and-r6-overheating-claims-tested-cameras-work-as-promised-but-thats-not-enough/]Continue reading...

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
'As promised....but that's not enough'. If that doesn't speak loudly about the motivation and state of 'media' I don't know what does. This is why I despise when people cite what the talking heads are saying. People paid to generate clicks always have an agenda. Show us objectively what the tool can DO when used for what it was built for, and keep your inane opinions out of it. Don't deliberately stoke controversy. Were competing products put to this standard in the past when they overheated without even manufacturer acknowledging it?

What is WRONG with people in this world?!

Every reviewer has been trying deliberately to push the camera to overheat, or trying to use it as a cinema camera, or dedicated video camera. Meanwhile the competition, also overheats just slightly less fast and cools slightly faster, is testing in ideal conditions indoors, and somehow a couple outdoor tests where it fails faster than Canon are not valid.

Look at this, a wedding photographer who apparently actually USED THE R5 in the field. He was realistic about how long he could use the HQ modes and simply, like an adult, respected the tool limitations and went back to normal modes. He also has a second body, like any working professional.

Let's hear from the normal, non paid customers, who are focused on trying to use the tool properly and let them tell us if the camera is failing them in normal, not deliberate failure modes. No more from the paid click bait crowd or emotional perpetually bashing whiners. It is time to hear from the voice of reason.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 36 users
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
As promised....but that's not enough. What is WRONG with people in this world?!

Every reviewer has been trying deliberately to push the camera to overheat with as many cycles of high activity as they can. Or trying to use it as a cinema camera, or dedicated video camera. Meanwhile the competition, also overheats just slightly less fast and cools slightly faster, is testing in ideal conditions indoors, and somehow a couple outdoor tests where it fails faster than Canon are not valid.

Look at this, a wedding photographer who actually USED THE R5 in the field. He was realistic about how long he could use the HQ modes and simply, like an adult, respected the tool limitations and went back to normal modes. He also has a second body, like any working professional.

Let's hear from the normal, non paid customers, who are focused on trying to use the tool properly and let them tell us if the camera is failing them in normal, not deliberate failure modes. No more from the paid click bait crowd or emotional perpetually bashing whiners.

You're kind of picking and choosing who you want to believe. There are plenty of reviews done on the EOS R5 in a production/work environment, and how difficult it is to deal with the cooldown.

Even the guy that did your video says you'd probably need multiple bodies to properly do a wedding.

No one is disputing the quality of the footage.

Reactions: 16 users
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
So it records for the times canon states. I don't have an 8k tv who does? The size of the files is also a bit big for me. The price of a huge cfexpress card...

I think I would like to see a serious unbiased review for stills now.
yeah but basically anything that isnt on an eos r overheats. that sucks.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Wait what? Works as promised? The other thread has over a dozen pages saying the problem is Canon lied in the marketing material. Now it is working as promised but that is not enough? Gotcha. ;)
'You're not paying attention to what the issue is.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
Have beat it to death. :sleep:

The topic has been beat to death, but there's been very little actual reporting. Also, the R5 cool down times seem a lot less severe in DPR's testing that what Gerald (2 hours, just to be super sure) or Armando (sort of other-the-top use case) found. I'm tired of hearing opinions on the overheating, but DPR's data is clear here and their commentary is balanced.

Edit: They even set inset the opinion parts into a special format.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Canon deserves praise for putting out some great mirrorless bodies, but they deserve some crow for misleading marketing.

Fortunately, most buyers here in the USA have a simple return policy, so if they feel mislead and disappointed, fine, no harm done, return and buy something else.

Canon absolutely put their foot in a pile of fire ants. But, please, get out of the "cancel culture" mindset, reassess the cameras based on what we know now and what Canon is busily admitting, and move on!

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
As promised....but that's not enough. What is WRONG with people in this world?!

Every reviewer has been trying deliberately to push the camera to overheat with as many cycles of high activity as they can. Or trying to use it as a cinema camera, or dedicated video camera. Meanwhile the competition, also overheats just slightly less fast and cools slightly faster, is testing in ideal conditions indoors, and somehow a couple outdoor tests where it fails faster than Canon are not valid.

Look at this, a wedding photographer who actually USED THE R5 in the field. He was realistic about how long he could use the HQ modes and simply, like an adult, respected the tool limitations and went back to normal modes. He also has a second body, like any working professional.

Let's hear from the normal, non paid customers, who are focused on trying to use the tool properly and let them tell us if the camera is failing them in normal, not deliberate failure modes. No more from the paid click bait crowd or emotional perpetually bashing whiners.
Who the hell wants to carry around multiple bodies for video during a wedding or for anything. Who wants to keep switching mods WORRYING about over heating. You want to work without worrying at all. No one wants added stress to their life.

• Haha
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Canon absolutely put their foot in a pile of fire ants. But, please, get out of the "cancel culture" mindset, reassess the cameras based on what we know now and what Canon is busily admitting, and move on!

No one wants to cancel Canon. What would be awesome is if Canon could somehow fix this with a recall and restore the R5/R6 to being arguably the best FF mirrorless options on the table. The IQ is stellar, the ergonomics are awesome, the IBIS is Olympus class, the RF glass is amazing. These two cameras should dominate the market right now.

But they have a fever.

Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
Canon deserves praise for putting out some great mirrorless bodies, but they deserve some crow for misleading marketing.

Fortunately, most buyers here in the USA have a simple return policy, so if they feel mislead and disappointed, fine, no harm done, return and buy something else.

I agree they messed up marketing and did not proceed with caution in this environment of unreasonable people. They were not dishonest though. People heard what they wanted to hear from the marketing and yet Canon did state prior to any units shipping what the limitations are on the features. The camera exceeds those conservative limits in my real world testing. I find it interesting the couple people who tried to deliberately place the competition in failure modes are attacked and ridiculed, but it is always open season on Canon.

I'll be quick to report if the R5 fails in normal shooting modes and light video use, just like I would use my 5D4. So far it performs extremely well and my tests in direct sun, and cool down in AC are all better times than reported by any of these outlets. I'm just a normal customer though with conincidental product testing experience including electronics in thermal environments. What could I possibly know compared to someone who is paid and sponsored to generate clicks?

Upvote 0

1D4

Jun 5, 2020
Who the hell wants to carry around multiple bodies for video during a wedding or for anything. Who wants to keep switching mods WORRYING about over heating. You want to work without worrying at all. No one wants added stress to their life.
You shoot weddings at 8K? What are your computer specs like that you can process 8K video so well?

Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020

This is not a purpose built sports or events camera. My point in the above post was that professionals rather than perpetual whiners can understand their tools and apply them successfully. Do you really think no one ever used the overheating Sony bodies in the past to shoot a wedding?

Stop being emotional and go buy something else then. I think everyone else except you whining emotional lot are sick of hearing about everything this camera cannot do according to the mighty internet. I own this camera, have already tested it in many scenarios, and it works for my realistic needs.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

1D4

Jun 5, 2020
It over heats in these modes. 4k60, 4k120, 4k24hq, and 4k30hq. at least 3 of them are good to shoot a 2020/2021AD wedding in.
You get 37 minutes of 4K60 Internal, and no overheating with External. Use that, problem solved. And who shoots long segments of 4K120 during a wedding? You do know all of these compact, weather-sealed, fanless cameras overheat, right? This isn't just a R5/R6 thing.

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0