Dumbest/Most Regrettable Utterances

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
When it comes to portraits, anybody can eventually master camera and lighting techniques. But, for me, it's the freaking people-skills that continue to be just out of my reach too much of the time.

Take this morning for instance. My son's teacher was very proud of her holiday outfit, so I offered to take her photo. She was very happy, as she has seen my work over a few years. We went out to the breezeway, early morning, beautiful transition light under the overhang...

Now, let me say, she is quite overweight, and though outgoing, clearly sensitive about her appearance. She was in a great mood, so I asked her to remove her mask while I stepped about eight feet back (still wearing mine!), and gave her a few posing suggestions. You know, please turn your right shoulder to the camera a little, don't hold your hands in front, just let your arms relax by your sides...

I got a quick set of 3/4 body shots, excellent expression, great light. And then I went and spoiled it.

"Ok, that's the best I can do," I said. She looked crushed.

WTF was I thinking? Ok, I was in a rush, and I did NOT mean the best I could do with her, or for her, but in the time I had. I don't know. This stuff just blurts out. AAAAAAAArggggggggghhhhhhhhh

Hopefully the quality of the photo will ease the sting.

95% of the time, I'm suave enough, humorous, disarming...But this kind of ^%&* keeps happening.

So, who else would like to share the dumbest and/or most regrettable things you have ever said to a subject? Please, be honest! Reveal your darkest moments!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
When it comes to portraits, anybody can eventually master camera and lighting techniques. But, for me, it's the freaking people-skills that continue to be just out of my reach too much of the time.

Take this morning for instance. My son's teacher was very proud of her holiday outfit, so I offered to take her photo. She was very happy, as she has seen my work over a few years. We went out to the breezeway, early morning, beautiful transition light under the overhang...

Now, let me say, she is quite overweight, and though outgoing, clearly sensitive about her appearance. She was in a great mood, so I asked her to remove her mask while I stepped about eight feet back (still wearing mine!), and gave her a few posing suggestions. You know, please turn your right shoulder to the camera a little, don't hold your hands in front, just let your arms relax by your sides...

I got a quick set of 3/4 body shots, excellent expression, great light. And then I went and spoiled it.

WTF was I thinking? Ok, I was in a rush, and I did NOT mean the best I could do with her, or for her, but in the time I had. I don't know. This stuff just blurts out. AAAAAAAArggggggggghhhhhhhhh

95% of the time, I'm suave enough, humorous, disarming...But this kind of ^%&* keeps happening.

So, who else would like to share the dumbest and/or most regrettable things you have ever said to a subject? Please, be honest! Reveal your darkest moments!
LOL! Yesterday. The wife wants some pics of herself in a particular dress. I say,
"Sure!, but please go get a haircut first. " She's not had a haircut since last winter when the pandemic started. Thankfully I hadn't mentioned she should shave the legs and pits too. lol

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi YuengLinger.
This is why I don’t do portraits, console yourself with the knowledge I’d have said something dumber and then just kept digging!
That and I don’t have the artistic flair for posing people to get the best looking shot!
Things like this are unfortunate, you didn’t say it with malice, and the fact that you were upset about it speaks volumes about your nature.
Shit happens, life is too short to spend it carefully examining every word lest we upset someone. ‍♂️

Cheers, Graham.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Tron.
The problem with that is if you pause for just a split second and they catch it you are then already “still digging” and my experience is it spirals out of control real fast from there!

Cheers, Graham.

I am not expert with people skills too but while reading this relaxed I thought how it could be probably saved at least a little:

If you continued the phrase like this: .... with the equipment I have!

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Hi Tron.
The problem with that is if you pause for just a split second and they catch it you are then already “still digging” and my experience is it spirals out of control real fast from there!

Cheers, Graham.
I agree and as I said: reading this relaxed! In reality of course it is different.

P.S I dont' do portraits too!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
life is too short to spend it carefully examining every word lest we upset someone. ‍♂
I can think of someone who follows that rule on Twitter with a vengeance. On the other hand, scores of lesser individuals have been brought down by their Twitter goofs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I can think of someone who follows that rule on Twitter with an vengeance. On the other hand, scores of lesser individuals have been brought down by their Twitter goofs.
Well, there is a difference between accepting language and tone are difficult and flawed so that it is impossible to guarantee that everything you say is understood in exactly the intended way by everyone e...

... and being unable to even properly comprehend the meaning of one's words and emphasize with the response they may provoke in fellow human beings.

Of course, there are a number of psychological circumstances that can lead to the second thing. And so it can't inheritently something to judge people on - it only becomes truly bad in my eyes when a person affected by this isn't even making a best effort to acknowledge and prevent it.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
It happened in Brittany, on a cliff, me using a Leicaflex SL 2 with its quick-focusing 560mm tele and extender.(physically VERY long lens !!!).
I was trying to get some good shots of a puffin's nest, when I heard the following comment by passers-by.
She: what is he taking pictures of ?
He; naked women, of course...:rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
It happened in Brittany, on a cliff, me using a Leicaflex SL 2 with its quick-focusing 560mm tele and extender.(physically VERY long lens !!!).
I was trying to get some good shots of a puffin's nest, when I heard the following comment by passers-by.
She: what is he taking pictures of ?
He; naked women, of course...:rolleyes:

That is what I use my big big lens for, don't you?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I need to use extra care. Since March, I've been the stay at home dad, and even with the kids in school part of the day, so few people are interacting face-to-face, I've really lost some level of social skills.

I think I've actually started thinking out loud--talking to myself!--when other adults are present. And being with kids and just my wife 99% of the time nine months now, anything comes out.

• Haha
Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
I need to use extra care. Since March, I've been the stay at home dad, and even with the kids in school part of the day, so few people are interacting face-to-face, I've really lost some level of social skills.

I think I've actually started thinking out loud--talking to myself!--when other adults are present. And being with kids and just my wife 99% of the time nine months now, anything comes out.

You sound like a fun person to be around.

• Haha
Upvote 0