DxO Labs in receivership?

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Kyosato said:
Being "en redressement" doesn't mean bankruptcy, it means that there an administrator nominated to help the company deals with difficulties, paying suppliers, and managing the projects. This admin has the final cut on the decisions.

In Canada and the United States, this is called receivership. It is common when a company files for protection under Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, which allows/requests courts to restructure or eliminate debts. It isn't bankruptcy (because insolvency means you're out of business); but rather, an attempt to avoid it, and almost always means that creditors won't get paid according to the original terms.

Because otherwise, the company wouldn't need the court-appointed trustee/administrator :)

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
The photography shakeups are coming. SmugMug buys Flickr, DXO Labs is in trouble, Which camera company will be next.

Casio is next! https://www.dpreview.com/news/6979454311/report-casio-is-pulling-out-of-digital-compact-camera-market

Huh. I guess I was not alone walking down Best Buy wondering, who bought Casio cameras :-\

It is a pity, because I always liked them as an electronics gadget company as a kid. My first digital watch!

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Talys said:
Huh. I guess I was not alone walking down Best Buy wondering, who bought Casio cameras :-\

It is a pity, because I always liked them as an electronics gadget company as a kid. My first digital watch!

I've worn their watches and still use their calculators. For a basic calculator with scientific functions, theirs deals with normal algebraic notation and precedence like I expect them to.

My first digital camera was a Casio. They were experimenting with trying to make a little more high-end camera, so they made one with a Canon lens. It got excellent reviews. I bought it before my Alaska cruise in 2002. I saw a review that compared five, I think, cameras of the period. The Casio was rated as good as any, even though the others were much more expensive. It was already sort of in closeout mode by the time I got mine. They threw in an IBM hard drive that fit the card slot, needed since memory was so much more expensive then. It took not quite 4 megapixel photos. I have a picture I took with it of the Grand Pacific Glacier on my wall in a 13" x 19" print. It looks great. In theory, I know that it shouldn't hold up that well enlarged that much, but it does.

I think they found that the Casio name was associated with cheap gadgets and so didn't get the respect they needed to do higher-end stuff. I can understand why their class of cameras would not appeal to much of anybody now that cell phone cameras are so decent.

I recently decided to make prints of three of my Hawaii pictures to put up in my front room, where they would fit the décor. I went to find the original RAW files of the pictures so I could make good versions for printing. I couldn't find one of them, and discovered the original JPEG in the folder of the few iPhone pictures I made during the trip. So I now have on the wall an enlargement of a picture I made with my iPhone 6S. It looks like you are looking out the window at the beach. I made the other two pictures with my G7X II.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Its interesting to see how Canon Rumors is picked up by the photo sites, and how most of them trust what they read. Do a online search for DXO Bankruptcy!

When the OP (Mikehit) originally posted the article, I followed the links he gave and posted some translations of what I found. I also sent a email to CR Guy asking him if he knew what was happening. He was nice enough to reply that he had heard nothing but had read this thread, and then he posted it on the front page.

Now, you can find the news on all the major photo sites, all leading back to this one post by Mikehit. Even DXO posted here to try and clarify the split into companies and that only one was affected.

Just saying ... Your posts are powerful and read everywhere, and often repeated. CR Guy is pretty careful, even about rumors, he has earned his respect.

Upvote 0