DxO PL-4 upgrade?

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Hi Folks.
I see some of you are using DxO PL-4.
Do you feel it is enough of an update to justify purchasing if you don’t need too, i.e. no new cameras?
Do the new features, such as the image sync justify upgrading?
Thanks in advance for your insights.

Cheers, Graham.
You can try a free trial for 30 days, which is the best way to decide. The Deepprime noise reduction is a bit better with very high noise.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Alan.
Yes I could, but then I’d probably just buy it as there is a deadline on the reduced upgrade price! :LOL: I was looking for someone not on the DxO advertising team to either extol the virtues or debunk the hype!

Cheers, Graham.

You can try a free trial for 30 days, which is the best way to decide. The Deepprime noise reduction is a bit better with very high noise.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Hi Folks.
I see some of you are using DxO PL-4.
Do you feel it is enough of an update to justify purchasing if you don’t need too, i.e. no new cameras?
Do the new features, such as the image sync justify upgrading?
Thanks in advance for your insights.

Cheers, Graham.
I've upgraded to PL4 since I have the R5. If I didn't have a new camera, I would probably *not* upgrade as I'd be plenty happy with PL3. But if you have enough $ so that the upgrade cost is "nothing" then Yes - go ahead and enjoy the latest version.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi.
Thanks for your input, I’m trying it at the moment, as anticipated I will probably upgrade! :rolleyes:

Cheers, Graham.

I've upgraded to PL4 since I have the R5. If I didn't have a new camera, I would probably *not* upgrade as I'd be plenty happy with PL3. But if you have enough $ so that the upgrade cost is "nothing" then Yes - go ahead and enjoy the latest version.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Zim.
That is a very good point, I don’t know if there would be a big difference between annual versions, maybe if you missed a couple of versions there would be a big difference.

Cheers, Graham.

Well I upgraded because I don't have a new camera!
Software like this breaths new live into old sensors and keeps them going.

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Hi Zim.
That is a very good point, I don’t know if there would be a big difference between annual versions, maybe if you missed a couple of versions there would be a big difference.

Cheers, Graham.
That's absolutely true, just like camera's!
The only reason I even tried it was because I was intrigued about deep prime. (The interface has improved though as Bert63 said)
All in I'd say I'm not seeing much if any difference in the final image. Depending on subject though which probably means noise pattern I'm finding it easier, much quicker, to clean so same result but a real time saving in my workflow. I'd say this time round it's been worth it for me anyway.

Regards

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
Just a quick update, I did try it and very quickly learned that I was going to upgrade.
The thing that really convinced me was the selective copy, the number of times I have done the levelling and cropping and forgotten to copy all the changes is unreal so being able to not affect those things is great The other new bits are just the icing on that vast improvement.

Thanks for all the help.

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0