Eclipse photo prep question/critique

Mar 25, 2011
Im in Pendleton Oregon. We drover to Baker City at 3 AM thismorning and foundthr perfect spot. I setup and took lots of photos but at the totality my camera froze up the canon remote utility just indicated capturing. I dont think i got even one image. I have not had time to review then as we are out for dinner. There arelots of shots right up to totality. Ill get to the bottom of the issue when i am back on Mt Spokane

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2013
Mt Spokane,
Really sorry to hear this. Maybe overheating of the camera body?
When I was practicing the procedure a couple of days ago, I noted that the filter shells got quite warm, and since they were a larger diameter, they protected the lenses. The bodies were not, and they were warm. I made a heat shield out of cardboard with holes and slipped it over the lenses above the camera bodies. Kept the camera bodies cool.
Next time, though, I'll have to simplify the procedure, operating two bodies were not good. Adjusting the tilt of the tripod with heavy twin cameras was difficult, glad I made a bit of a jig with screw tilt adjust. It helped. Also, every 30 seconds, I'd to make adjustment to the pan and tilt.
Lastly, the movie function of the 2nd camera was totally a waste. 2 hours action was like watching paint dry.
-r

Mt Spokane Photography said:
Im in Pendleton Oregon. We drover to Baker City at 3 AM thismorning and foundthr perfect spot. I setup and took lots of photos but at the totality my camera froze up the canon remote utility just indicated capturing. I dont think i got even one image. I have not had time to review then as we are out for dinner. There arelots of shots right up to totality. Ill get to the bottom of the issue when i am back on Mt Spokane

Upvote 0
I dont think i got even one image. I have not had time to review then as we are out for dinner. There are lots of shots right up to totality.

Sorry your camera froze at they key moment, that had to be frustrating. Did your partial shots turn out OK?

Southern Illinois turned out to be a good location, It was very hot but we had clear skies. It was an exhilarating experience, my son and I had a great time and were certainly glad we made the trip.

My photography was a mixed bag. I messed up the diamond rings on both ends - the shots I really wanted to nail. I have some good partial shots and decent total images of the corona. I expected to make some mistakes during totality, but I didn't consider some of the social impacts to photography. I nice gentlemen was in the middle of telling me a very interesting, but long, story in the minutes leading up to totality (C2). We were both surprised when it went totally dark and I missed my first diamond ring photo opportunity. I took a number of bracketed close-up photos during totality, took a few environmental shots with another camera, observed for about a minute and then fumbled my settings for the 2nd diamond ring. I had my camera set-up to use C3 custom setting for this, it was dark and I accidentally turned to the C2 setting and got some underexposed black frames...

Overall, my pictures were somewhat below my expectations. If I could have nailed one diamond ring I would have been pretty satisfied. But, photography aside, it was a marvelous time and shared experience with my oldest son, which is infinitely more important. Coming away with some decent pictures is just a bonus.

Here are a few shots that I quickly selected and did minimal processing to. It will be a few days before I have to to sit down and really review everything on my computer. The close ups are with my 5DsR, 300 f/2.8 II + 2xiii extender using a Thousand Oaks solar filter. 6D and 16-35 f/4 for the environmental shot.

Attachments

• 2017_08_21_133244-7417.jpg
    2017_08_21_133244-7417.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 152
  • 2017_08_21_142605-7474-2.jpg
    2017_08_21_142605-7474-2.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 155
  • 2017_08_21_113546-5992-2.jpg
    2017_08_21_113546-5992-2.jpg
    496.7 KB · Views: 168
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I went to Winnsboro, SC, where an expedition from the college in my town, and my alma mater, went in 1900.

I had promised myself I wouldn't take any pictures during totality, but that was a promise I couldn't keep. I unscrewed the filter, guessed at exposures, and took five pictures before totality started to end. Meanwhile I looked with my eyes and I tried taking a few shots of the crowd with my G7X II. Here are a couple of them:

total3.jpg

total5.jpg

These are about 55% reductions for posting. 300mm (480 equivalent on T3i) f/14 1/50 sec. and 1/25 sec., respectively.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
bholliman said:
stevelee said:
I went to Winnsboro, SC, where an expedition from the college in my town, and my alma mater, went in 1900.

I bet you are glad you decided to take a few pictures, these are very nice!

Thanks. I still have mixed feelings about my use of that short time. It seemed like seconds. Months from now the pictures will still be there, as details of the day fade from memory.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
I got to Madras OR easy, Saturday there was barely no traffic.

Got the eclipse, had my 1DX+24-70 on intervalometer snapping time-lapse (right when eclipse was about done the sun was getting out of frame unfortunately). 5D4 had Sigma 150-600 with 1000 Oaks film. I was mostly manually zooming at 400-600, and snapping 7 bracket shots. About every few minutes.

Then totality hit and holy smokes the feeling of looking the corona without the solar glasses. I have to say it was very awesome feeling. We took quick group selfie with one of the cameras, I took few more with the Sigma 600 (without filter). And all suddenly it was back to diamond. Took last quick shot before putting back the filter on the lens.

Like I told my friend, it was almost like sex. You spend couple days with high anticipation, then there's hour of foreplay, suddenly lights go out and there's lot of cheering, and two minutes later you're exhausted.

Waited until eclipse was completely done, packed our gear and headed home. Drive home was way different. At times traffic was barely moving. Got home around 1:30am. Didn't even take cameras out from the car. Just ran through quick shower and hit bed. This morning drove to work, so the pictures are still on camera(s). Here's one pic I took of the camera:

20953576_10211972891691269_7506270049582030900_n.jpg

(not sure if you can see it)

I'm sure today after I get home, I'll spend rest of the evening with LR/PS.

2021 would be at Antarctica. I'm semi-seriously thinking that if it hits one of the areas that you can go with the tour boats, that really would be once-in-a-lifetime event.

Upvote 0
tpatana said:

Got the eclipse, had my 1DX+24-70 on intervalometer snapping time-lapse (right when eclipse was about done the sun was getting out of frame unfortunately). 5D4 had Sigma 150-600 with 1000 Oaks film. I was mostly manually zooming at 400-600, and snapping 7 bracket shots. About every few minutes.

Then totality hit and holy smokes the feeling of looking the corona without the solar glasses. I have to say it was very awesome feeling. We took quick group selfie with one of the cameras, I took few more with the Sigma 600 (without filter). And all suddenly it was back to diamond. Took last quick shot before putting back the filter on the lens.

Like I told my friend, it was almost like sex. You spend couple days with high anticipation, then there's hour of foreplay, suddenly lights go out and there's lot of cheering, and two minutes later you're exhausted.

Waited until eclipse was completely done, packed our gear and headed home. Drive home was way different. At times traffic was barely moving. Got home around 1:30am. Didn't even take cameras out from the car. Just ran through quick shower and hit bed. This morning drove to work, so the pictures are still on camera(s). Here's one pic I took of the camera:

20953576_10211972891691269_7506270049582030900_n.jpg

(not sure if you can see it)

I'm sure today after I get home, I'll spend rest of the evening with LR/PS.

2021 would be at Antarctica. I'm semi-seriously thinking that if it hits one of the areas that you can go with the tour boats, that really would be once-in-a-lifetime event.

We had the same experience with traffic in Illinois. Minimal traffic going in, major gridlock going home. We arrived home just before 1am.

Your diamond ring shot on the back of your camera looks like a good one!

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
tpatana said:

We had the same experience, no traffic as we drove to Baker City, OR. However, my Camera froze as I was bracketing 7 exposures just as I pulled the filter off. I was controlling it with my Iphone by Wi-Fi. I had a large battery powering the camera, it had lots of capacity to run live view, so I do not know why it did that. I waited too long to restart the camera and missed the totality. I did look at it directly, it was amazing, well worth the trip, one more item off my bucket list.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
tpatana said:

We had the same experience, no traffic as we drove to Baker City, OR. However, my Camera froze as I was bracketing 7 exposures just as I pulled the filter off. I was controlling it with my Iphone by Wi-Fi. I had a large battery powering the camera, it had lots of capacity to run live view, so I do not know why it did that. I waited too long to restart the camera and missed the totality. I did look at it directly, it was amazing, well worth the trip, one more item off my bucket list.

:(

Sorry about your camera. But just seeing it was beyond anything, totally worth the trip even if I (/you) forgot to bring a camera.

Here's one without the filter (484mm F8 1/8 ISO400 no crop no filter)

Attachments

• 5D4_9421.jpg
    5D4_9421.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 196
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
In looking through the pictures from the early stages of the eclipse, I see that some were focused well enough and not overexposed so that one can see sun spots.

sunspots.jpg

This is cropped but not resized. Winnsboro, SC, 1:38 EDT, f/14, 1/200 sec., ISO 200, 18-stop filter

We picked up a paper SC map at the welcome center, and I used my iPhone and iPad to help us navigate around traffic as much as possible. My friend and I were each familiar with some of the back roads closer to Charlotte from our past travels, so we avoided the worst jams. We wound up on a highway that led to an Italian restaurant in Charlotte that has some nostalgia for us both, so for me a lot more than him, since the place had better food when I was in college. After supper traffic has thinned out, and we could take I-77 all the way up here.

Upvote 0
Nice photos. Be sure to upload them to the CR Image Gallery. Click the Gallery Tab two places to the left of logout and choose add picture

Nice partial phase pictures Mt Spokane! How did you crop you images so consistently for size and framing? LR, PS or another app?

I didn't realize CR had a gallery section, thanks for sharing this.

Upvote 0