EF 35 f/1.4L and EF 35 f/1.4L II MTF Comparison

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
The optical performance difference between the two lenses looks to be quite significant if you go by the MTF chart comparison.</p>
<p>I had two complaints about the original 35L, the first being it wasn’t weather sealed and the second was the CA, it looks like both of those issues have been corrected. I’m looking forward to seeing if the additional weight is going to be difficult to get used to with the new lens, I did like the compact size of the first version.</p>
<p>Unfortunately, there aren’t many sample images  from the new lens yet, but they should start making their way to the web soon.</p>
<p><strong>Preorder EF 35 f/1.4L II $1799: <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1180801-REG/canon_9523b002_35mm_f_1_4l_ii_usm.html/BI/2466/KBID/3296" target="_blank">B&H Photo</a> | <a href="http://www.adorama.com/CA35142.html?utm_term=UbK24x0al34oSlvW4eT8QxjoUkX3mDVXeWC-Ug0&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=rflaid64393&cvosrc=affiliate.64393" target="_blank">Adorama</a> | <a href="http://amzn.to/1Uehm5w" target="_blank">Amazon</a></strong></p>

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
I couldn't see the MTFs in the top post... so here/below are the MTF's (as per Canon's website)

EF 35mm f/1.4 L first
EF 35mm f/1.4 L II second

Note - I posted those MTFs earlier in this other CR Forum thread, but in reverse order, i.e. 1st vII and the v1 2nd
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=27485.msg543345#msg543345

Regards & happy to help!

Paul 8)

Attachments

• ef_35_14mtf.gif
    ef_35_14mtf.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 3,009
  • ef35_14l2u_mtf.gif
    ef35_14l2u_mtf.gif
    8.9 KB · Views: 3,048
Upvote 0
EF 35mm f/1.4L II USM

ef35_14l2u_mtf.gif

Art

mtf.gif

EF 35mm f/1.4L USM

ef_35_14mtf.gif

Can't wait for May/June/July to arrive so prices drop to around $1,440.

Thank you Sigma, Nikon, Yongnuo, Zeiss, Rokinon, Bower and Samyang for putting out 35/1.4 to keep competition alive.

The Series one currently sells on BH for $1,479

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Don Haines said:
When I switched to Canon, it was mostly for the glass.... Glass like this hammers in the point.

Those are insanely good curves for a wide angle lens! Somewhere in the Canon design team there is a very proud optical designer of this lens......

Canon's wide angle offerings are no longer the Achilles heel of the system. The TS-E 24 MkII and 16-35 f4 IS are superlative lenses, the 11-24 f4 and the TS-E 17 are true world beaters, and the 24, 28 and 35 IS lenses are really nice with decent prices.

If this 35 f1.4 L pans out as the MTF's suggest, and I am not comparing them to others just the MkI, then we can expect a 16-35 f2.8 MkIII and a 24 f1.4 MkIII with the same tech to really get the best out of the 5DS/R, and our wallets.

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
Han said:
So that's 2099 euro's !

https://www.calumetphoto.nl/product/Canon-EF-35-mm-f1-4-L-II-USM/CAN3514LII?tracking=|searchterm:Ef|35

That's sick - but let's wait for early adopters. wanting more money than for 24-70 II is quite insane and the price will hopefully settle down under 1600-1700 EUR.

Upvote 0
Khalai said:
Han said:
So that's 2099 euro's !

https://www.calumetphoto.nl/product/Canon-EF-35-mm-f1-4-L-II-USM/CAN3514LII?tracking=|searchterm:Ef|35

That's sick - but let's wait for early adopters. wanting more money than for 24-70 II is quite insane and the price will hopefully settle down under 1600-1700 EUR.
If it´s any comfort, it is significantly worse in Scandinavia ... $2800 in Norway and apparently even worse in Finland.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
If this 35 f1.4 L pans out as the MTF's suggest, and I am not comparing them to others just the MkI, then we can expect a 16-35 f2.8 MkIII and a 24 f1.4 MkIII with the same tech to really get the best out of the 5DS/R, and our wallets.

In bold will be the biggest development for Canon.

Upvote 0
LovePhotography said:
Based merely on the MTF comparison, I wonder how many people would notice a real world difference with the Sig 35 Art at half the price? Just wondering... (IQ only... not focus, weight, status symbol, or anything else...)
Based on the MTF charts and the limited number of sample images we have seen, it will most likely have better IQ than the Sigma 35 Art. Remember also that many different qualities constitutes IQ. Too many people seem to regard IQ and sharpness as synonyms (too many people read and believe DxO). They are not. Sharpness, color, contrast, CA, fringing, flare resistance ... It's a long list. However, to me, getting L-series build quality, with proper weather sealing and fast and consistent AF, will be worth it.

Upvote 0
Just looking at the MTF, this lens simply looks amazing. There seems to be nothing coming close to it, even the 55mm Otus looks less good.

But the question remains, since even the Sigma 35 Art is alreday very good, who is going to pay twice the price for such a lens? Is will definitly be an option for medium Format shooters to move to a 5Ds with such a lens. The IQ should be on a comparable level.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
aj1575 said:
Just looking at the MTF, this lens simply looks amazing. There seems to be nothing coming close to it, even the 55mm Otus looks less good.

But the question remains, since even the Sigma 35 Art is alreday very good, who is going to pay twice the price for such a lens? Is will definitly be an option for medium Format shooters to move to a 5Ds with such a lens. The IQ should be on a comparable level.

I think your comment is spot on. Although this lens looks absolutely amazing...I have a Sigma Art that I am very happy with and I do not plan on purchasing this lens. For me, from a cost standpoint it is prohibitive....but it does have its place in the growing Canon lineup especially for the larger megapixel bodies. There will be a ton of opinions and reviews on this baby!

Upvote 0
infared said:
aj1575 said:

I think your comment is spot on. Although this lens looks absolutely amazing...I have a Sigma Art that I am very happy with and I do not plan on purchasing this lens. For me, from a cost standpoint it is prohibitive....but it does have its place in the growing Canon lineup especially for the larger megapixel bodies. There will be a ton of opinions and reviews on this baby!

The Canon is marketed and will not be bought by those that are the most price sensitive. The 35L sells at a price above the Sigma already and it doesn't make sense for Canon to invest a lot of R&D to sell the 35L II for less. Give it some time, and the 35L II price will drop. It'll still be more than the Sigma but it will be more weather resistant, have higher IQ and work with Canon AF CONSISTENTLY.

A lot of people said similar things of the 24-70 II compared to the Tamron 24-70, 24-70 f/4 IS compared to the 24-100 f/4, the 5DS compared to the 5DIII. The prices in all those cases were much higher for the newer Canon option and the boards lit up with similar "Who would buy it?" But once the reviews are in, and the prices settle, people do see the value of the newer offering and buy it. Not everyone, but enough.

Upvote 0