EF vs RF 50 1.8 STM MTF chart comparison

ctk

Refurb EOS R Kit
Mar 25, 2020
According to Canon, the RF 50 1.8 is significantly softer than the EF 50 1.8 and RF 35 1.8.

EF vs RF (RF mirrored for comparison):

RFvsEF.png

35 1.8 below:

rf35mm_f18_macro_is_stm_mtf.gif

Admittedly the EF 50's chart seems incredibly optimistic, but if we compare it to the 35 it's basically softer across the entire frame. I will wait for reviews and more sample shots (there are some pretty limited ones here) but the more I see about this lens the less optimistic I am. May still replace my Sigma 50 EX but I've been mulling getting the Samyang 50 XP and I think this just pushed me over since I'm not in the RF 50 1.2's tax bracket. Also still holding out hope for the Samyang 45 1.8 to get ported over but w/e. Thought this would be useful to you guys

ctk

Refurb EOS R Kit
Mar 25, 2020
Update- Canon did update their MTF methodology. Here is an apples to apples comparison:

1604507198421.png

Really really marginal improvement, at least in MTF. Hopefully Canon managed to clean up the LoCA.

Reactions: Maximilian

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Update- Canon did update their MTF methodology. Here is an apples to apples comparison:
Thanks for sharing, ctk.
Really really marginal improvement, at least in MTF. Hopefully Canon managed to clean up the LoCA.
I didn't expect much more, so every little bit is welcome.
Esp. when you look a little bit away from the middle (eg. at "10") there is pretty much gained.
Keep in mind that this D. Gauss design is well known and pretty much exhausted in R&D.
That why the modern Sigma and RF and other 50 mm designs are much bigger and complex - and much more expensive ;)

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Mar 25, 2011
I'd have been disappointed if Canon made a $800 lens with a different design. They went for a very low cost lens that likely costs $40 to manufacture over one costing several times more. Its likely able to make use of the same machinery in Taiwan for making the EF50. They hope to churn out a million of these, and that means every penny is squeezed out of the cost.

Could this be a kit lens for the rumored new very low cost FF R body. It seems unlikely since consumers like the idea of zoom lenses. However, Canon does not yet have a pair of cheap kit lenses just the RF 24-105, no ultra cheap telephoto zoom. If Canon wants their new low cost FF body to end up in stores, they need ultra low cost kit lenses to keep the 2 lens kit price around $1500. So, is there a $400 RF100-300mm low priced zoom coming to put in kits?

ctk

Refurb EOS R Kit
Mar 25, 2020
I'd have been disappointed if Canon made a $800 lens with a different design.
Why do you think this is the only alternative? Canon made a much more complex 35 1.8 "Macro" for $450. A truly new and good 50 1.8 without the macro capability probably could have launched for about $300 (with a sale price of $250 or so), and actually would have been worth buying over an EF 50 STM + adapter.

<-- start Taboola -->